Profile for Mr McComber > Reviews

Content by Mr McComber

Mr McComber "Mike Finch" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Six Feet Under : Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD]
Six Feet Under : Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Ball

3.0 out of 5 stars I know this is a hugely respected series unfortunately just ..., 26 July 2015
I know this is a hugely respected series unfortunately just couldn't get into it, for US comedy, got more time for weeds or big bang theory

Everly (2014 Salma Hayek) - PAL Region 2
Everly (2014 Salma Hayek) - PAL Region 2
Dvd ~ Salma Hayek
Offered by wmdservices

1.0 out of 5 stars it's pretty, 26 July 2015
didn't get past ten minutes, it's pretty bad

Steppenwolf Featuring John Kay - Live In Louisville [DVD]
Steppenwolf Featuring John Kay - Live In Louisville [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steppenwolf Feat John Kay
Offered by Special Interests

3.0 out of 5 stars I think Steppenwolf are a fantastic band, it's just this concert was not very ..., 22 July 2015
Don't misunderstand me here, I think Steppenwolf are a fantastic band, it's just this concert was not very interesting, good to see them live but will keep looking.

Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 22 July 2015
Terrific book. I really enjoyed the Sharpe's War TV series so when I saw this book had to buy it and I was not disappointed. The author asks, why another book on Waterloo. His own response is that he's written it from an individual participant's perspective and the book succeeds on this point, however I would also add - hopefully the author will not mind - I've read seven books on the battle already, which is hardly scratching the surface, yet I still find much I don't know or have forgotten, I'm still interested. Goes without saying the words flow off the page, but what I like about this book particularly is the author occasionally repeats key facts, useful when you're trying to absorb a mass of facts to have nudges and reminders about who's who. The one difficulty is understanding where everyone is which books try to get around as best they can by enclosing a series of maps, meaning the reader constantly has to track back to the maps to assimilate what they've read with what's on the map. Only solution is to have a large scale map out while you're reading which's not always possible, can't really do that on a train but there you go, great book, can only give it five stars.

Midnight Express [DVD]
Midnight Express [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Davis
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars everyone in the movie does a good job, it's the subject that get's my goatee, 16 July 2015
This review is from: Midnight Express [DVD] (DVD)
Midnight Express. Did the author really try to smuggle drugs [ in to our out of, I care not ] another country and get all twisted and hateful about his "harrowing experience"in their prison. What no ice cream? Try Guantanamo Bay! Or was it because he got caught. As far as actual acting is concerned yes, everyone in the movie does a good job, it's the subject that get's my goatee. What should Brad Davis have expected. A smacked hand? I'm not anti drugs, I'm anti stupid people who show a flagrant disregard for the rest of the world. If it's a commentary about brutal prison conditions, why not make a film about someone who's been put in prison for something they didn't do. Guantanamo Bay maybe? How hard would that be. Don't reply to this post guys, cos I won't answer, it's a review page not a pen pal club.

Weeds - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Weeds - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary-Louise Parker
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. absorbing drama centred around a young widow and ..., 14 July 2015
Excellent. absorbing drama centred around a young widow and her slightly unrealistic world where she sells dope to pretty much everybody. Not laugh out loud moments like Worst week of My Life for example, but interesting characters.

Note the 18 certificate which is only there because shock! Adults are shown smoking drugs and Government must restrict viewing.
Find her black colleagues difficult to understand at times and enjoyed where a wife shaves her cheating husband's head while he's zonked out with sleeping tablets!

Gallowalkers [DVD]
Gallowalkers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wesley Snipes
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear oh dear, what a load of pants ..., 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Gallowalkers [DVD] (DVD)
oh dear oh dear, what a load of pants, WS finds himself in a western and still trying to play it as Blade, seriously wouldn't bother.....

Hit & Miss [DVD]
Hit & Miss [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chloe Sevigny
Offered by Special Interests

2.0 out of 5 stars ... know the movie got rave reviews but I didn't enjoy this, and guys, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Hit & Miss [DVD] (DVD)
I know the movie got rave reviews but I didn't enjoy this, and guys, don't e-mail me, I won't answer cos I'm not interested if you don't agree, this app's not a pen pal club, the idea is people considering to buy can have a range of reviews.

The film might have been well acted but didn't go anywhere and just wasn't interesting so I switched off after 30 mins.

The Shadow Line: Complete BBC Series + Exclusive DVD Bonus Features & Deleted Scenes (3 Disc Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christopher Eccleston
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars near faultless entertainment, 12 Jun. 2015
I spend probably far too much time watching DVD's and very little at all make it into my permanent DVD collection but I added this without hesitation. The plot is simple, drugs, then it turns out some top police and special branch have turned dealer to top up their pension funds. The hero is played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who to my mind demands massive respect for his portrayal in 12 years a slave, is back on the case after a near fatal injury and never really finds out whether he got his hands dirty or not. There's superb acting from the support cast too, as always from David Schofield as well as Nicholas Jones - remember him from Kavanagh apart from masses else - and of course Stephen Rea as a kind of genial bespectacled serial killer. The ending is surprising and left me wondering how much of any story is admitted to the public, particularly after the press have got hold of it. Lesley Sharp and Christopher Eccelston are heartbreaking as the middle aged couple trying to face Alzheimers together and Rafe Spall is his normal unhinged self. Overall, faultless, excellent TV entertainment. Got to watch it again at some point to try and pick up some of the myriad threads I dropped the first time. Body count is very high and given the deaths I would have expected an 18 certificate but the gruesome scenes are not dwelt upon which is maybe the reason.

They All Came Down To Montreux [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
They All Came Down To Montreux [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Deep Purple
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Like one of the other reviewers said, 2 Jun. 2015
Like one of the other reviewers said, I have more records by Purple than any other, nine DVD's, all the studios and maybe half a dozen live CD's as well as seeing them live five times so I feel entitled to submit a view. I saw them at Brixton Academy on the Purpendicular tour and it was a great show, we had ten of the twelve songs. Great. If I want a DVD of a show from that tour as a memento of a great evening, where would I go? The same's true of Now What. I want to hear the new songs live, not Machine Head over and over and over again. The straw that broke the camels back in 1988 when the band asked Ian Gillan to leave was when he complained the band were playing the same old songs with just a handful of new one's thrown in. Come on guys, Machine Head's a great record, up there with Who's Next and Blues Obituary but you've recorded at least a dozen five star albums. I love chicken dopiaza but I don't eat it three times a day every day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9