Profile for M. J. Finch > Reviews

Content by M. J. Finch

M. J. Finch "Mike Finch" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Celebrating Jon Lord [DVD] [2014]
Celebrating Jon Lord [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jon Lord

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific DVD, 4 Mar. 2015
What can you say about Jon Lord that hasn't been said already. Think of the incredibly rich contribution he made to the world of music, apart from Concerto, In Rock, Machine Head, Perfect Strangers etc but also as The Hoochie Coochie Men, a terrific DVD, and you can instantly tell from his many interviews what an affable and approachable man he was. I saw him at Durham, was about five feet away in fact. Apparently he was "tangoed" in the Oxford St HMV store once and seemed genuinely taken aback that he was recognized, first time I heard him play that multi layered keyboard riff on Highway Star and I was hooked!
And make the most of it, hearing Burn live for probably the last time. Some of the best musicians in the world assembled on one DVD, what more do you want?

Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Not much connection to the real Dracula who nailed people's hats to their heads. One invading army allegedly turned back in terror when they found themselves in one of his "forests" made up of people he'd spiked. Dracula Untold shows him as a family man, trying to do what he can for his family and people, I know it's a movie and well, yes. Luke Evans is a great actor and great to see Paul Kaye as well, but overall, while it's worth a watch, I can't say I'd recommend it. Francis Ford Coppola's version is much better even though it had Gary Oldman playing up on the human side too, sorry guys, I'm used to getting furious responses to some of my postings but the point of a review is saying what you think, this movie is ok, but not that great.

Death At A Funeral [DVD] [2010]

Absolutely hysterical.

22 Bullets [DVD]
22 Bullets [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Reno

2.0 out of 5 stars Jena Reno is a fantastic actor, but I would not see this as ..., 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 22 Bullets [DVD] (DVD)
Is that possible? To be shot twenty two times. Jena Reno is a fantastic actor, but I would not see this as the high point of his career, thought he was much better in Empire Of The Wolves.

Spiral - Series 5 [DVD]
Spiral - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Proust

3.0 out of 5 stars but overall I have to say series five was nowhere near as gripping and something of a disappointment. Well worth a, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Spiral - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big big fan of Spiral, the first three series were very dark and bloody drama that kept me wishing a week of my life away so I could find out what happens next. There are some twists to this, some not entirely unexpected, but overall I have to say series five was nowhere near as gripping and something of a disappointment. Well worth a watch but would not keep the DVD permanently.

The Definitive Montreux Collection [DVD] [2006]
The Definitive Montreux Collection [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Rory Gallagher

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 17 Feb. 2015
Absolutely fantastic. Years ago, was banging on about Ritchie Blackmore to a friend of mine, who said yeah, he's great, [ thank you! ] but what about Rory Gallagher? I'd not heard of him so my friend lent me Irish Tour 74 and I was hooked! I got the DVD which includes an interesting interview back stage, so I woudl take a serious look at that too but after several years I recently revisited this DVD too. Every time I watch him play I cannot help but say out loud "f***ing hell!

RG consistently displays a highly endearing passion for his music mixed with a genuine humility and his band have such fun too, Gallagher says things like "I hope you like the next song" and proceeds to blow your wig off with fantastic riffs reminiscent of Gaelic folk, played incredibly fast and not a bum note to be heard. Do yourself a favour and buy a copy.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [DVD]
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 Feb. 2015
Mm, I think some of you guys may be taking this film just a little too seriously.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2015 10:34 PM GMT

Love, Honour And Obey [DVD] [2000]
Love, Honour And Obey [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Sadie Frost
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Like watching Operation Good Guys, 23 Jan. 2015
Like watching Operation Good Guys, just in a movie version, many of the OGG cast are present, including the screamingly funny Perry Benson, good fun to watch the gangster karaoke too.

Brotherhood - Complete 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Brotherhood - Complete 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Isaacs
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars if you enjoyed The Sopranos, 23 Jan. 2015
Very similar in style of direction, story telling, character building, photography etc to The Sopranos, well paced political and gangster thriller, if you enjoyed The Sopranos, I would expect you will also enjoy this. Jason Isaacs is terrific.

Guardians of the Galaxy [DVD]
Guardians of the Galaxy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 11 Dec. 2014
guess you have to read marvel comics to get it

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7