Profile for Mr McComber > Reviews

Content by Mr McComber

Mr McComber "Mike Finch" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Gallowalkers [DVD]
Gallowalkers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wesley Snipes
Offered by SweetBuzzards

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear oh dear, what a load of pants ..., 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Gallowalkers [DVD] (DVD)
oh dear oh dear, what a load of pants, WS finds himself in a western and still trying to play it as Blade, seriously wouldn't bother.....

Hit & Miss [DVD]
Hit & Miss [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chloe Sevigny
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars ... know the movie got rave reviews but I didn't enjoy this, and guys, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Hit & Miss [DVD] (DVD)
I know the movie got rave reviews but I didn't enjoy this, and guys, don't e-mail me, I won't answer cos I'm not interested if you don't agree, this app's not a pen pal club, the idea is people considering to buy can have a range of reviews.

The film might have been well acted but didn't go anywhere and just wasn't interesting so I switched off after 30 mins.

The Shadow Line: Complete BBC Series + Exclusive DVD Bonus Features & Deleted Scenes (3 Disc Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christopher Eccleston
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars near faultless entertainment, 12 Jun. 2015
I spend probably far too much time watching DVD's and very little at all make it into my permanent DVD collection but I added this without hesitation. The plot is simple, drugs, then it turns out some top police and special branch have turned dealer to top up their pension funds. The hero is played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who to my mind demands massive respect for his portrayal in 12 years a slave, is back on the case after a near fatal injury and never really finds out whether he got his hands dirty or not. There's superb acting from the support cast too, as always from David Schofield as well as Nicholas Jones - remember him from Kavanagh apart from masses else - and of course Stephen Rea as a kind of genial bespectacled serial killer. The ending is surprising and left me wondering how much of any story is admitted to the public, particularly after the press have got hold of it. Lesley Sharp and Christopher Eccelston are heartbreaking as the middle aged couple trying to face Alzheimers together and Rafe Spall is his normal unhinged self. Overall, faultless, excellent TV entertainment. Got to watch it again at some point to try and pick up some of the myriad threads I dropped the first time. Body count is very high and given the deaths I would have expected an 18 certificate but the gruesome scenes are not dwelt upon which is maybe the reason.

They All Came Down To Montreux [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
They All Came Down To Montreux [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Deep Purple
Offered by Hardliner-music

4.0 out of 5 stars Like one of the other reviewers said, 2 Jun. 2015
Like one of the other reviewers said, I have more records by Purple than any other, nine DVD's, all the studios and maybe half a dozen live CD's as well as seeing them live five times so I feel entitled to submit a view. I saw them at Brixton Academy on the Purpendicular tour and it was a great show, we had ten of the twelve songs. Great. If I want a DVD of a show from that tour as a memento of a great evening, where would I go? The same's true of Now What. I want to hear the new songs live, not Machine Head over and over and over again. The straw that broke the camels back in 1988 when the band asked Ian Gillan to leave was when he complained the band were playing the same old songs with just a handful of new one's thrown in. Come on guys, Machine Head's a great record, up there with Who's Next and Blues Obituary but you've recorded at least a dozen five star albums. I love chicken dopiaza but I don't eat it three times a day every day.

Songs From The Road (CD + DVD)
Songs From The Road (CD + DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars I've seen this gal live, been no more than ..., 22 May 2015
I've seen this gal live, been no more than six inches away from her cowboy boots as she went up and down the stage, seriously hot and exceptionally talented.

Bombay Calling [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Bombay Calling [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars so they were fortunate to get Joe Satriani as a temporary replacement, 27 April 2015
Blackmore quit in '93, mid tour, hoping to leave the band high and dry, so they were fortunate to get Joe Satriani as a temporary replacement, before settling on Steve Morse. What is it with American guitarists? This is an early concert chosen low key to see audience reaction which was as ecstatic as they could have hoped for. There's the usual preponderance of Machine Head material - hey guys, yes agreed it's a fantastic album but if I'm going to buy a DVD I want new material, there's just two from the Battle Rages On and The Purpendicular Waltz from Purpendicular - what's the point of buying Machine Head live for the seventh or eighth time. And the annoying little tit yakking over the band as they tear into Fireball, the show opener, is also incredibly irritating so cannot give five stars but that said, there's three tracks from In Rock and to be fair, it's Morse's first DVD, it's a good full length show, picture and sound quality is reasonable, I have watched and enjoyed this several times.

Songs From The Road
Songs From The Road

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like blues rock/boogie, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Songs From The Road (Audio CD)
I finally got to see Savoy Brown live at the Borderline club in W1 last year and this dvd is close to the setglist they played, if you like blues rock/boogie, I'm confident you will enjoy this.

Lifeforce - Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Lifeforce - Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Offered by Chris' Soundtrack Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars just like reviewers give a five star rating because their copy ..., 25 April 2015
All the reviews seem to be concerned with the music with little about the film which I find curious, just like reviewers give a five star rating because their copy of the dvd arrived quickly! So to redress the balance here goes, its a movie about vampires featuring Nicholas Ball who enjoys a brief stint as the sole survivor of a space mission who returns with interesting human like beings who suddenly come to life and drain their victims life force turning them into ravenous beasts who explode unless they get their own fix of life force. The army try to track down the victims but events quickly spiral out of control. Movie also features Frank Finlay, Peter Firth and Patrick Stewart so some good actors involved, but overall the movie still comes off rather cheesy, very 1980's but worth a watch, doubtful it will stay a permanent member of anyone's dvd collection though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 3:34 PM BST

The Who: And Special Guests - Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
The Who: And Special Guests - Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ The & Guests Who
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
If you're a fan of The Who, I'd get it. All the old favourites and some interesting guests.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [2000] [2004]
Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [2000] [2004]
Dvd ~ Larry David

5.0 out of 5 stars too often I'm bored senseless by the mediocre junk on my DVD player ..., 16 April 2015
I have only moderate expectations when I read Amazon reviews which generally froth at the mouth, too often I'm bored senseless by the mediocre junk on my DVD player and thank God for CEX where I can change it for something else. So it was a really pleasant surprise to find these reviews entirely justified in this case. Two things I've learned, if a show goes nine seasons, it's worth a punt, not an infallible system but usually works, second, if the rave reviews are from publications you've never heard of, chances are it's rubbish. Anyway, I've decided to write this even though I'm only half way through the box set, it's generally a Jewish kind of humour, ok, so not surprising, but I'd say similar to Woody Allen but less nervy. The show has real life famous people like Ted Danson, playing themselves and Larry David has to deal with every day situations, like being accused of looking at a woman's breasts. He changes his mind about some shoes he'd ordered in another episode and offers to pay the salesman his lost commission who responds oh, how dare you, I'm not a shoe whore and blows a raspberry. I was almost helpless for half an hour. The humour kind of sneaks up on you. Excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8