Profile for M. J. Finch > Reviews

Content by M. J. Finch

M. J. Finch "Mike Finch" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Bombay Calling [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Bombay Calling [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars so they were fortunate to get Joe Satriani as a temporary replacement, 27 April 2015
Blackmore quit in '93, mid tour, hoping to leave the band high and dry, so they were fortunate to get Joe Satriani as a temporary replacement, before settling on Steve Morse. What is it with American guitarists? This is an early concert chosen low key to see audience reaction which was as ecstatic as they could have hoped for. There's the usual preponderance of Machine Head material - hey guys, yes agreed it's a fantastic album but if I'm going to buy a DVD I want new material, there's just two from the Battle Rages On and The Purpendicular Waltz from Purpendicular - what's the point of buying Machine Head live for the seventh or eighth time. And the annoying little tit yakking over the band as they tear into Fireball, the show opener, is also incredibly irritating so cannot give five stars but that said, there's three tracks from In Rock and to be fair, it's Morse's first DVD, it's a good full length show, picture and sound quality is reasonable, I have watched and enjoyed this several times.

Songs From The Road
Songs From The Road

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like blues rock/boogie, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Songs From The Road (Audio CD)
I finally got to see Savoy Brown live at the Borderline club in W1 last year and this dvd is close to the setglist they played, if you like blues rock/boogie, I'm confident you will enjoy this.

Lifeforce - Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Lifeforce - Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Offered by Chris' Soundtrack Corner

3.0 out of 5 stars just like reviewers give a five star rating because their copy ..., 25 April 2015
All the reviews seem to be concerned with the music with little about the film which I find curious, just like reviewers give a five star rating because their copy of the dvd arrived quickly! So to redress the balance here goes, its a movie about vampires featuring Nicholas Ball who enjoys a brief stint as the sole survivor of a space mission who returns with interesting human like beings who suddenly come to life and drain their victims life force turning them into ravenous beasts who explode unless they get their own fix of life force. The army try to track down the victims but events quickly spiral out of control. Movie also features Frank Finlay, Peter Firth and Patrick Stewart so some good actors involved, but overall the movie still comes off rather cheesy, very 1980's but worth a watch, doubtful it will stay a permanent member of anyone's dvd collection though.

The Who: And Special Guests - Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
The Who: And Special Guests - Live At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ The & Guests Who
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
If you're a fan of The Who, I'd get it. All the old favourites and some interesting guests.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [2000] [2004]
Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [2000] [2004]
Dvd ~ Larry David

5.0 out of 5 stars too often I'm bored senseless by the mediocre junk on my DVD player ..., 16 April 2015
I have only moderate expectations when I read Amazon reviews which generally froth at the mouth, too often I'm bored senseless by the mediocre junk on my DVD player and thank God for CEX where I can change it for something else. So it was a really pleasant surprise to find these reviews entirely justified in this case. Two things I've learned, if a show goes nine seasons, it's worth a punt, not an infallible system but usually works, second, if the rave reviews are from publications you've never heard of, chances are it's rubbish. Anyway, I've decided to write this even though I'm only half way through the box set, it's generally a Jewish kind of humour, ok, so not surprising, but I'd say similar to Woody Allen but less nervy. The show has real life famous people like Ted Danson, playing themselves and Larry David has to deal with every day situations, like being accused of looking at a woman's breasts. He changes his mind about some shoes he'd ordered in another episode and offers to pay the salesman his lost commission who responds oh, how dare you, I'm not a shoe whore and blows a raspberry. I was almost helpless for half an hour. The humour kind of sneaks up on you. Excellent.

Celebrating Jon Lord [DVD] [2014]
Celebrating Jon Lord [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jon Lord

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific DVD, 4 Mar. 2015
What can you say about Jon Lord that hasn't been said already. Think of the incredibly rich contribution he made to the world of music, apart from Concerto, In Rock, Machine Head, Perfect Strangers etc but also as The Hoochie Coochie Men, a terrific DVD, and you can instantly tell from his many interviews what an affable and approachable man he was. I saw him at Durham, was about five feet away in fact. Apparently he was "tangoed" in the Oxford St HMV store once and seemed genuinely taken aback that he was recognized, first time I heard him play that multi layered keyboard riff on Highway Star and I was hooked!
And make the most of it, hearing Burn live for probably the last time. Some of the best musicians in the world assembled on one DVD, what more do you want?

Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Not much connection to the real Dracula who nailed people's hats to their heads. One invading army allegedly turned back in terror when they found themselves in one of his "forests" made up of people he'd spiked. Dracula Untold shows him as a family man, trying to do what he can for his family and people, I know it's a movie and well, yes. Luke Evans is a great actor and great to see Paul Kaye as well, but overall, while it's worth a watch, I can't say I'd recommend it. Francis Ford Coppola's version is much better even though it had Gary Oldman playing up on the human side too, sorry guys, I'm used to getting furious responses to some of my postings but the point of a review is saying what you think, this movie is ok, but not that great.

Death At A Funeral [DVD] [2010]

22 Bullets [DVD]
22 Bullets [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Reno
Offered by Qoolist

2.0 out of 5 stars Jena Reno is a fantastic actor, but I would not see this as ..., 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 22 Bullets [DVD] (DVD)
Is that possible? To be shot twenty two times. Jena Reno is a fantastic actor, but I would not see this as the high point of his career, thought he was much better in Empire Of The Wolves.

Spiral - Series 5 [DVD]
Spiral - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Proust

3.0 out of 5 stars but overall I have to say series five was nowhere near as gripping and something of a disappointment. Well worth a, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Spiral - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big big fan of Spiral, the first three series were very dark and bloody drama that kept me wishing a week of my life away so I could find out what happens next. There are some twists to this, some not entirely unexpected, but overall I have to say series five was nowhere near as gripping and something of a disappointment. Well worth a watch but would not keep the DVD permanently.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8