Profile for Mr. M. A. Denton > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. A. Denton

Mr. M. A. Denton "Professor Yaffle" (Belper, Derbyshire, England)

RHS Gardening Through The Year
RHS Gardening Through The Year
by Ian Spence

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Novice Gardener, 15 Sept. 2013
Great book that has started to unlock some of the vagaries of gardening for me. I'm sure that a more experienced gardener may read it and say that it's full of obvious information, but it has been a real pleasure for me to read as I knew next to nothing. The monthly format is great and helps me maintain the focus on what I should be doing and when. I recommended it to a friend and she loves it too.

Shadow Of The Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Shadow Of The Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Malkovich
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF THIS DVD., 13 Aug. 2009
By means of a review I will copy the email I just sent to Amazon.

Dear Amazon,

Recently I purchased this copy of Shadow of the Vampire which I have owned for many years on VHS, so you can imagine how much I was looking forward to seeing one of my favourite films on an improved format.

Unfortunately this was not to be the case.

I believe that you should examine this dvd and check whether it is an official release. The quality of the image is very poor, leading me to believe that it has just been recorded from a VHS onto DVD with no digital remastering of any sort. There are no subtitles, it's impossible to fast-forward through the trailers either by skipping scene or speeding up or even by pressing the menu.

None of this is completely unusual - I have encountered such things before - but what sealed my suspicions is that there are no credits. At all. It just resets to the main menu.

Can you please tell me if this is the official release or whether there is another version that I can actually buy and enjoy? And if this is the official release then I would refuse to sell any more.

Yours in anticipation of a revelatory reply!

Mark Denton

The film is fantastic. One of my favourites. Just avoid this version.

Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Eric Bana
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, well, well..., 12 July 2007
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I put off watching this film for ages. Every review I'd seen or read said that it didn't cut the mustard, so it was with some trepidation that I coughed up £2 for it in HMV and sat back to watch it.

I was very surprised. This film is unique, stylish, well acted and superbly directed, but what it's not, is a kid's super-hero film.

The split screen usage was very well done (anyone who says this is confusing better stay away from The Andromeda Strain or The Boston Strangler!) and the CGI is quite remarkable. If you like films - not just super-hero films - then give this a go.

I'll be interested to see what the next one's like...

Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Pulse [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pink Floyd
Offered by AVALON

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish people would pay attention..., 25 July 2006
This review is from: Pulse [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
The dvd is actually quite excellent. The sound quality is superb and anone who's said otherwise is probably not running it through a suitable surround sound system. I had the original BBC programme recorded since it was aired and it's blatantly obvious that this is a completely re-edited version of the concert, with footage probably taken from other nights and the sound is 100 times more impressive than the concert shown on the TV.

One of the other reviewers mentions the replacing of a Gilmour guitar solo with one from the CD to make it sound correct. This isn't the case either. What they've actually done is replace it with one from another night, In fact, the majority of the solo's are different to the original BBC airing.

Any worries about the surround sound can be put to rest, as the sound on disc one is as good as as disc two and if your speakers are positioned correctly then this will become very apparent. And i'm using the original 448kbps at the moment. God knows how good it is using 640kbps! I'm certainly going to try it cos the xbox 360 i'm playing it on will support 640kbps.

Anyone reading reviews by other people on this page should probably make their own mind up. I believe the sound to be excellent. It's powerful and rich , with all the elements nicely balanced.

I'm beginning to wonder how other people are listening to this dvd...I mean, it IS a concert...It's not going to sound like a CD! Although the mix of some of the songs actually sounds better to me than the original recording.

All in all worth the wait and if you (like me) will probably never get a chance to see these guys live, just sit back and watch one of the greatest guitarists this country has ever produced play Comfortably Numb.

Midwinter of the Spirit (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
Midwinter of the Spirit (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
by Phil Rickman

4.0 out of 5 stars In the Bleak Mid-Winter..., 23 Mar. 2001
I love this book. Whereas it doesn't exactly fit into the horror genre that it seems to be accredited with, it does have it's fair share of darkness and chills. The deep preparation that must have been involved in the writing of this book is obvious. Rickman has dealt with a slightly outdated theological mode and brought it alive (ressurrected it, as it were...)and made it relevant to our cynical modern spirituality. The mixture of victim and aggressor that lies within Merrily Watkins makes for a thoroughly charming character. The Bishop Mick Hunter is fairly typical as a protagonist, but as they say, stereotypes have to have a basis in truth. If your imagination can cope with having to work a bit harder than usual, then this book will be one of the most enjoyable you'll have read for some time.

The Gashlycrumb Tinies
The Gashlycrumb Tinies
by Edward Gorey

5.0 out of 5 stars Kookily Creepy....Everyone should own a copy., 21 Mar. 2001
This review is from: The Gashlycrumb Tinies (Hardcover)
Well, well, well. What can I say? The Gashlycrumb Tinies is a remarkable book. The combination of humour and horror that these little one liners induce is a joy to behold. "Out-Dahling" Dahl at every turn, Gorey manages to compel the reader to laugh at some of the most grotesque deaths ever to befall a child. His skill as an artist is almost matched by his words, but it is the delicate nature of his sketches that is most satisfying. One of lifes great joys is to watch an unsuspecting reader pick up this book and see their eyes widen by the second page. A true delight and one that realises that children love the horrific more than the twee.