Profile for Philip Elkins > Reviews

Content by Philip Elkins

Philip Elkins "Philip" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Microsoft Protective Slim Book Flip Case Cover with Credit Card Slot for Microsoft Lumia 535 - Grey
Offered by total digital stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Shell Cover for Lumia 535., 21 April 2015
The cover is a quite good fit, seems though that some fit better than others. I find it slightly difficult in taking photos now, as the front cover has no hole in it, and when folded back it covers the camera lens. Apart from this it is fine.

Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17
Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips SensoTouch 2D Electric Shaver RQ1145/17, 13 Jan. 2015
I received this shaver as a wedding anniversary gift from my wife. Previously I had been wet shaving, but like many other persons found that the cost of blades just keeps increasing! Many years ago I had used a Philips shaver, and was apprehensive about using this new one. However I have to say it does a very good job of shaving my face comfortably and smoothly. True it is not as good as a wet shave, but I am very pleased with it. It is also easy to clean, and lasts at least ten days on one full charge. I am using it wet, with Gillette Fusion Proglide. All in all I am very happy with it, and would recommend it!

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB SIM-Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 520 8GB SIM-Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Offered by Simply 4 U

4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia Lumia 520 8Gb, 26 Sept. 2013
This phone is basically a Microsoft device masquerading as a Nokia phone. Having read the majority of the reviews here, plus others online, I would agree with many of them. This device is basically good value for the money, and a fine introduction into Windows 8 smart phones. I have owned mine for just over a month now, and generally I am pleased with it. Battery life is not fantastic, but overall not bad, charging every three days with moderate usage. Maybe I am lucky though, as other persons seem to get less time. The screen is clear and the device has sufficient apps for me. I bought mine in black, but now replacement covers are available in the other colours, so I might treat myself and purchase a couple more in different shades. The device appears quite strong, without creaks or groans. However in my opinion a wi fi connection is essential, as there appear to be regular updates and all of which cost a horrendous amount if using the normal Internet connection. Since upgrading the phone I have noticed a few benefits in the camera and clarity of the screen. The cons, why no zoom on the camera? In addition, on my previous Nokia Asha phone it was possible to access the memory card without removing the back of the phone and the battery. Not so on this device! Why not? In our home we have three computers, Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. This device was not recognised by any of them, so it was necessary to remove the memory card when downloading music, photos, etc. In addition, do purchase a 32Gb or 64Gb memory card, as the 8Gb card I bought with mine was very soon full! I appreciate it is built to a price, but surely these two additions of camera and card removal could have been installed without raising the price too much! I understand that further upgrades are planned by Microsoft, so I will see what comes along in due course. I will update this review in a few months time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 2:09 PM BST

Olympus Has Fallen [DVD] [2013]
Olympus Has Fallen [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Olympus Has Fallen, 28 Jun. 2013
Very naff and very cheesy! The sort of film that Bruce Willis would have strolled through and made much better. A film where only Americans will cheer the patriotism. As for the dialogue, well is it is pretty dire, most of it taken from earlier and similar films I guess. The special effects are poor too, compared to modern standards. Don't know why Ashley Judd bothered, she is in the film for about seven minutes. Doesn't Morgan Freeman look ancient now! Sorry Morgan I love you and most of your films, but maybe it is time to retire.A film to watch once and no more!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Purchase!, 27 Mar. 2013
I bought one of these memory cards recently to upgrade from an 8gb card. So far all is great, I have installed dozens of music tracks, photos and suchlike. It does what it says on the packet! Thoroughly recommended!

CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition (Exam N10-005)
by Michael Meyers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 27 Mar. 2013
I bought this book for my son, who is studying at present. He informs me that it is extremely informative, and he has learned more from using this book, than four months of study without it. It appears easy to follow, precise and an excellent way of obtaining sufficient knowledge to undergo an exam. Thoroughly recommended!

Nokia Asha 302 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Grey
Nokia Asha 302 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia Asha Sim Free Mobile Phone., 27 Mar. 2013
I purchased one of these phones about three months ago, after borrowing my daughter's Nokia Asha 201. I had never used a qwerty keypad mobile before, and was rather apprehensive as the keys themselves are rather small, and my eyesight is not what it used to be. However I am so glad I bought this phone! Having tried various smart phones and touch screen devices, I must say that I much prefer the keypad now that I am used to it. This is not a smart phone, but more of an intelligent phone. It came with a 2gb memory card, but initially I swapped this for the 8gb card I had in my old phone. Now I have again upgraded to a 16gb card as I have installed more music. It is more solid than the Nokia Asha 201.. Using the phone daily for calls and text messages, plus listening to music, the battery lasts for approximately four to five days before a recharge is necessary. For some reason after about a day and a half, the battery level indicator drops to three bars instead of four, but there it remains! Having accidentally dropped the phone twice, it has not suffered any damage (thankfully), save that the metal strip running round the edge of the phone came lose, but was easily snapped back into place. I have not attempted to view any videos on the phone, preferring to use my computer for this. The 3.2 megapixels camera is good for taking shots, although not after dark as there is no flash. However in normal usage, I have found it more than adequate and use my digital camera for the more important snaps. I do recommend buying a screen protector, as the plastic screen is easily scratched! In addition, I bought both a normal leather case, plus a hard gel case, as I hate my phones to get marked or damaged. Overall thoroughly recommended, so much so, that the wife is buying one shortly!

Strings 'N' Beats
Strings 'N' Beats

5.0 out of 5 stars String 'N' Beats by Edvin Marton, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Strings 'N' Beats (Audio CD)
I attended an ice concert in St Petersburg Russia where this man was playing! I have to say he was totally magic, and I found I was more interested in watching him and listening to his violin music, than the skaters. His music is enlightening infectious and lively. It is impossible to sit still whilst watching him. On this album is a good selection of his music, played of course on his fabulous Stradivarius violin. We sit at home listening and enjoying our memories of the concert. We shall order other albums of his soon! Thoroughly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Orion Nebula Outer Space Design Protective Hard Back Case for Nokia Asha 302, 22 Mar. 2013
After reading many reviews on this product, I searched through the numerous cases and eventually ordered this one. My phone is dark in colour, so I thought a darker case would be preferable. The case arrived safely, although not in bubble wrap, but only in a simple thin plastic envelope. I was surprised that it had not been damaged in the post. However it has proved to be a boon! It is robust, flexible and improves the general look of my phone. It is an easy snap-on fit, and just as easy to remove, by sliding a finger nail beneath the edge. I have dropped the phone once since fitting the case, and it just bounced and was not damaged. The design does not follow the edges of the case, that are white, and so possibly this particular case would also be a good choice for a white phone. I was so happy with the case generally, that I have now ordered two more in different designs, one for the wife and another for me. Thoroughly recommended!

Last Man Standing [DVD] [1996]
Last Man Standing [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Willis Doing What He Does Best!, 2 Mar. 2013
I watched this film again recently, and although it is quite old now, it is still very viewable. Bruce Willis in his heyday, doing what he always does best! There is nothing sophisticated about this film, and as other reviewers have given more than adequate accounts of what it is all about, I shall refrain from so doing. Basically it is an updated copy of 'A Fistful of Dollars' with Willis playing a similar character to Clint Eastwood. Don't take it too seriously, we all know that in real life such situations do not happen, but here the body count mounts up as Willis bumps off gangster after gangster. His guns never seem to be short of bullets and like many of his films, he never shoots just once, when multiple shots will suffice! More of a man's film I think, and to me all good fun, being a Willis fan. In addition lovely old antique cars to look at. Pity Willis has grown old and is no longer suited to this type of film role, nevertheless if you wish to watch Willis in one of his better film roles, and can suspend belief for a couple of hours, then this is a film to be recommended, but one to ignore if you are not a fan of guns or shootings!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6