Profile for dave.mcwilliam@towienet.co.uk > Reviews

Content by dave.mcwilliam...

dave.mcwilliam@towienet.co.uk (North-East Scotland)

L2TP: Implementation and Operation: Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (Networking Basics)
by Richard Shea

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but technical., 1 May 2001
When I purchased this book my first thoughts were that it was rather small and pretty impenetrable but as time has passed I have grown to really appreciate it. When I have an L2TP problem I look up other books, RFCs, etc but I find that it is nearly always this small book that provides the REAL answer. Not a light read but that is simply because it is concise. I rate this an excellent book and wouldn't be without it.

Understanding Digital Signatures: Establishing Trust Over the Internet and Other Networks (CommerceNet Press Series)
by Gail Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., 8 Jun. 2000
I am an experienced networking guy with a need to understand security. This book claims that it is about "Establishing trust over the Internet and other networks" but it didn't hit the mark for me. A large chunk of it is about vendor reviews, which I found to be relatively unhelpful. Rarely leaves my bookshelf.

Secure Electronic Commerce: Building the Infrastructure for Digital Signatures and Encryption: Building the Infrastructure for Signatures
by Warwick Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 8 Jun. 2000
I am an experienced networking guy with a need to understand security. This is an excellent and very readable book on the "public" side of crypto-security. It deals with the legal and technical issues and I found it particularly useful for the way it took me beyond the technology of certificates into the Public Key Infrastructure. My only complaint, and it is very minor, is that I would have like more hard data on the current structure of the PKI. A lot of information but well written and an excellent reference.

Internet Cryptography: Evaluating Security Techniques
Internet Cryptography: Evaluating Security Techniques
by Richard E. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 8 Jun. 2000
I am an experienced networking guy with a need to understand security. This book is an excellent introduction to cryptography-based security for anyone who already understands networking. I found it to be very readable, so much so that I read it all the way through like a novel - which is unusual! Not as deep as Schneier's "Applied Cryptography" but they make an excellent pair.

Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Jun. 2000
I am an experienced networking guy with a need to understand security. This book has a lot of stuff I didn't actually need but it had a lot more that I did. It's very well written and readable and spends far more time on my desk than my bookshelf. As an essential reference for a networking guy, this book is on a par with that standard, "Internetworking with TCP/IP" by Comer. In a word, "Brilliant".