Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Lake Wobegon Days
Lake Wobegon Days
by Garrison Keillor

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.., 12 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Lake Wobegon Days (Paperback)
I was quite disappointed in this book. I had had lots of recommendations from friends over the years but when I came to read it I found myself getting bored and bogged down in seemingly endless accounts of the history of a people and places that I didn't particularly care about.

The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island (Bryson)
The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island (Bryson)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what a disappointment, 23 Jan. 2016
I have been a great fan of Bill Bryson in the past, so I was really excited to learn that he had written a new book, twenty years after Notes from a Small Island was published. Oh dear, perhaps that bump on the head from the parking barrier described in the first chapter with a touch of his old comic style, did more damage than he had realised, causing him this jaundiced view of Britain. Grumpy old man or what! I was frankly bored throughout most of the book, skipping whole sections devoted to rants about the state of Britain today, tedious facts and statistics, and detailed portrayals of obscure characters from the past that I really didn't want to know about. Sorry, Bill - I still love your previous books, but this one is pretty unreadable.

Jung for Kittens
Jung for Kittens

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, entertaining and thought-provoking - my favourite book of 2015., 6 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Jung for Kittens (Kindle Edition)
Arthur Loveday’s redundancy and resultant quest for wholeness takes him on a perilous inner journey of self-discovery, accompanied by the writings of Jung, a highly eccentric African Psychotherapist cum voodoo priestess and a talking kitten called Mike. A quirky and engaging read, telling of Arthur’s battles with his inner demons, his magical adventures in the labyrinthine underworld of his mind and the less desirable parts of London N3, Jung for Kittens is funny, entertaining, compelling and at the same time, has romance and depth.I loved this book. Highly recommended.

The Tea Planter's Wife
The Tea Planter's Wife

1.0 out of 5 stars The best thing about it was the background as the writer ..., 23 Nov. 2015
This was a book I didn't finish. The best thing about it was the background as the writer obviously knew the country well and had put in a lot of research around the time-setting. The plot seemed fairly predictable and melodramatic. I found the writer's style irritating; her characters rarely smile, they 'grin' a lot, often inappropriately. Not at all sure how this book collected the accolades from other readers.

The Lacuna
The Lacuna

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of her comfort zone??, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Lacuna (Kindle Edition)
I haven't actually finished this book as yet. Unlike others of Barbara Kingsolvers books, I found it difficult and got rather bogged down in all the political stuff. I feel she is at her best and most readable when describing home territory and the natural world - I found it difficult to relate to the characters and the situations in this book.

Recovery is my best revenge: My experience of trauma, abuse and dissociative identity disorder (Collected Essays Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recovery is my Best Revenge - by a Survivor, 1 Sept. 2014
A courageous book that needed to be written about this complex and disturbing condition of Dissociative Identity disorder.

Flight Behaviour
Flight Behaviour

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Flight Behaviour (Kindle Edition)
Meticulously researched, beautifully written. I loved this novel and learned a lot about the Monarch butterfly as well. Barbara Kingsolver manages to combine story-telling skills, brilliant characterisation and a statement about how environmental pollution can challenge wildlife.

Chinese Oriental Furniture - Handcarved Writing Bureau / Writing Desk
Chinese Oriental Furniture - Handcarved Writing Bureau / Writing Desk
Offered by China Warehouse Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Handcarved Writing Bureau, 29 Aug. 2013
This is a beautiful piece of furniture, does all the things you need a bureau to do, and has been much admired.The intriguing carvings are really exquisite. This is astounding value for money and I recommend it highly. We love it!

Staring At The Sun: Being at peace with your own mortality
Staring At The Sun: Being at peace with your own mortality

5.0 out of 5 stars Staring at the Sun, 12 May 2013
Yalom is not afraid to address this difficult topic; in fact, he encourages us to confront our own death terror in order to live more fully. He draws upon ancient philosophy to enrich his writing. His wisdom, amply illustrated by his case histories, his wise reflection as an old man on his own inevitable demise, his humour and gentleness shine through to make this a great book. Highly recommended, I loved it.

Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1
Little Face: Culver Valley Crime Book 1
by Sophie Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Face, 10 May 2013
Sophie Hannah really is the best! As always, I was totally engrossed until the final page. Odd bits of plot didn't quite add up but I forgive Sophie because there was such a great twist at the end. A brilliant read and highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2