Profile for A. J. Williams > Reviews

Content by A. J. Williams

A. J. Williams (Wales, UK)

40 Days 40 Nights: A Sgt Major Crane novel: Volume 2
40 Days 40 Nights: A Sgt Major Crane novel: Volume 2
by Wendy Cartmell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but needs an editor, 24 Jan. 2014
This was my first 'Sgt Major Crane' novel and I thought that the plot was decent enough. It is certainly a new and potentially very good idea to have an SIB investigator as the main character. The author doesn't have quite the style of writing I am enthralled by but that's just a personal thing. What did irritate was that the book doesn't appear to have been edited very well. Apart from the fact that I had a career as a regular soldier (though not SIB) also I have written and had published several books. During that process I learned how important a good editor is for picking up awkward grammar, errors of fact and spelling mistakes. In this novel it would have been helpful for such a person to pick up on the name of the barracks in Aldershot being St Omer - not 'St Omar' as in the book. The spelling of waving (not 'waiving') should have been noticed and there are some awkward changes of tense in sentences. Authors make mistakes, that's a given. No matter how many times you read a proof you miss a goof. That's what editors are for and in this instance the author needs to have a quiet word with her editor.
The only other point I would make is the slightly unusual style of rank when used in speech. In the whole of my career I never once heard of a Lance-corporal always being called by that title other than in very formal circumstances. Usually they were just referred to as 'Corporal'. Personally I would have preferred the use of an abbreviated title for 'Sergeant Major' as well and indeed also for 'Sergeant'. However, I accept that the usual form of address of 'Sarnt' and 'Sarnt Major' looks slightly odd when written.
I shall try the next book in the series and well done to the author for finding a new slant on detective novels.

Seagate STBU1000202 1TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 2.5 Inch Portable Hard Drive - Blue
Seagate STBU1000202 1TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 2.5 Inch Portable Hard Drive - Blue
Offered by Value_Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 26 April 2013
What's to dislike here? Nothing that I can ascertain. It does exactly what it claims, big storage volume, easy to set up and is cosy enough to be transportable. I carry it in a Case Logic Foam case into which it fits snugly. This may sound awfully like a sponsor giving an advert but I really am just a punter, happy with the 2 purchases.

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X
Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X
by Diana Weynand

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 26 April 2013
Although I had some experience in very basic editing, originally with Pinnacle and later with Adobe Premiere Elements, my foray into the now much less troubled Final Cut Pro X gave me some misgivings and a feeling that "help might be needed". In the event much of FCPX is intuitive if you have edited before but the finer points are much, much more elusive. This is particularly true for keyboard shortcuts. Now the book. For a beginner it is really very straightforward and the author has painstakingly made the instruction very easy to follow. Undoubtedly those with experience will find the early stages "skippable". An accompanying DVD whose content sits on the desktop contains 4 films, all of which are used as examples and for the reader to work with. It's a great formula in my view and my progress through the book, whilst not spectacular, is steady and, yes, my editing is improving nicely thank you.

Rapid Battery Car Charger for Apple iPod Mini, Classic 3rd/4th/5th Video/6th Generation, Photo, U2,  Nano 1G/2G/3G/4G/5G, Touch 1G/2G/3G, iPhone 8GB 16GB 1st Gen / 3G 3Gs
Rapid Battery Car Charger for Apple iPod Mini, Classic 3rd/4th/5th Video/6th Generation, Photo, U2, Nano 1G/2G/3G/4G/5G, Touch 1G/2G/3G, iPhone 8GB 16GB 1st Gen / 3G 3Gs

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is says on the tin, 26 Oct. 2010
You do not need to spend more on an i-phone or i-pod car charger than this. It's simple and works well.

The Spanish Game
The Spanish Game
by Charles Cumming

3.0 out of 5 stars Come back Le Carré and Len Deighton, 5 April 2009
This review is from: The Spanish Game (Paperback)
The high rating of this novel by other reviewers both led me to it and isolates me as the odd one out. Overall I would class it as mediocre fare indeed. Sure, the research has been done in huge detail - indeed so much so that it sometimes sounds more like a travelogue than a spy thriller; a vehicle to show off the author's intimate knowledge of Spain and Madrid in particular. To begin with I warmed to the theme of the paranoid ex-agent which reminded me of the adage "I used to be paraniod but now I know they're following me". But all too soon I tired of the main character's utter incompetence in a role for which he had apparently experienced some training. Why agree to speak at length to a journalist about the death of a guy he'd met only once? Then from stark paranoia he swiftly changes to accepting everything and everyone at face value. No, for me it just doesn't work and too many of the main characters are just dropped from the storyline. The reviewer who wrote that the end was weak was probably right but by that time I didn't care. I rather hoped he would be arrested by the police, given a long prison term and thus didn't emerge for further adventures for some time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 10:26 PM GMT

Best Walks of the Drakensberg
Best Walks of the Drakensberg
by David Bristow

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT NOT PERFECT, 29 Dec. 2007
David Bristow clearly knows his subject very well indeed and it sounds as if he has walked all the paths described here, and probably many more, personally. He has an excellent eye for detail too. However, the book doesn't work for me. Whilst appreciating the dictats of publishers about maps and how they fit the page (I have written 3 mountaineering guidebooks myself) it makes for difficulties when "North" is differently placed in consecutive maps. This is compounded by it being incorrect on occasion. Also, sometimes I found it difficult to work out from the text where I was on the 1:50000 EKZNW maps which in his words "will become the new standard hiking reference". Of course this may be my failing more than his. Finally, the book doesn't physically fit my pocket. This isn't easily remedied but maybe the next edition will fix this. "A somewhat flawed work of great industry" is a bit cliched but that's what it seems to me. On the other hand, it is by a wide margin the best walking guide of the area presently available.

Warrior: the Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen
Warrior: the Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen
by Peter Hathaway Capstick

1.0 out of 5 stars A FLAWED FINAL WORK, 28 Nov. 2007
This is a disappointing final work for Peter Capstick. Much of the writing is based on Meinertzhagen's own diaries. This is always a dangerous tactic, especially in instances where concerns have been raised about the factual content on some occasions. The rest consists largely of Captick's opinions and there are few references to other authoritative sources. Meinertzhagen was undoubtedly a man of great talent and, like the rest of us, significant failings. A biographer needs to draw on many more resources to provide the reader with an appropriately balanced view of someone who was, at least, a most complex character.

Roberts Bird Guide
Roberts Bird Guide
by Hugh Chittenden

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FIELD GUIDE FOR BIRDS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Roberts Bird Guide (Paperback)
I have had the good fortune to see an advanced copy of this book and discuss it with the principal author, Hugh Chittenden. It is a huge improvement on the commonly-used Newman, especially in the colour plates and in geographical distribution maps. Also, it is more comfortable to use in size when compared with the rival Sasol publication which it also outperforms in content. I suspect that a second edition with even better plates will emerge in a couple of years. The major criticism made by some of this work is the changing of the traditional "order" of birds in the book with which we have become familiar and dependent on. Hugh Chittenden explains this with the valid observation that new Far Eastern books have adopted this order on the basis of recent DNA and other scientific argument and it was assumed that the US would follow suit on the basis of being championed by Sibley Snr. For us mere birders the decision is simple. Do we buy this fine book, a much needed very cut-down version of Roberts 7, and learn to live with the new order? Or do we save the money and stick with Newman and Sasol? For myself I shall be getting a copy as soon as it becomes available in the UK.

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Beach Boys
Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Beach Boys
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear..., 2 May 2007
As a Beach Boys enthusiast with new grandchildren this sounded like just the thing to subtly introduce them to the harmonies and tunes that so many people have loved over the last 40 years. But what a terrible disappointment. The harmonies are faithfully replicated but that's about the only thing that I can say in favour of this appalling waste of money. The instrumentation is sparse enough to be very repetitive and rarely sounds like a "Lullaby", as the title suggested it should. The pace is slow throughout and the last track only needed Peter Kay to complete the imagined picture of a dance at an old folk's home with a one-man band. I am one of those old folks! My advice is to avoid this disc.