Profile for P.Rox > Reviews

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Zion
Zion

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, nice, but no song stands out, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Zion (MP3 Download)
If you've followed Hillsong United, you might think you know what to expect from them - rock-based anthemic songs and that's about it.

Thankfully this album moves away from that formula, which frankly had started to get stale. So with the new sound e.g. a slight 'Chinese' feel to Up in Arms, and generally quite a pads-based album this United album brings some freshness.

Gone also is the need to 'big' every single song up to a massive, unnecessary resounding crescendo. Instead they have not shied away from keeping a song on the down-low and allow different sounds to bring dynamic and mood rather than heavier guitar and louder drums. (yay!)

I liked it from the first listen and strangely for a United album, I would almost put this under the easy-listening category. I quite happily have it playing in the background while I do my work (the joys of working from home). Whereas I can't say I would ever have any of their previous albums on 'in the background'!

Having said all the above, it still sounds like a Hillsongs album, except Mercy Mercy and Scandal of Grace, which sounds very much like they written by Leeland. There isn't a duff song on this album, lyrically it has got some interesting lines, my favourite being

"Death, where is your sting?
It is as dead as my sin..." (Scandal of Grace).

There isn't yet a stand-out song for me and they all seem to drift one into another. But then given I use it as 'easy listening' that's fine by me!

In short - I would recommend it. It's different from much of what has gone before and in a good way. It's a fresh sound, got good lyrics and is very palatable.

Hope that helps.

Belkin Candy Case/View Case for iPhone 5 - White/Clear
Belkin Candy Case/View Case for iPhone 5 - White/Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits and looks good!, 2 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What you would expect from a good case - easy to fit on, not so loose that it keeps coming off and it provide very adequate protection.

Because they have focussed on protecting the edge of the phone, the back is slightly thinner material and see-through. This isn't a problem and in fact it means that it doesn't add unnecessary bulk to the phone. If you drop the phone, it is most like to land on an edge rather than flat on it's back.

A case that only goes round the edge though doesn't protect from scratches caused by keys or anything else that might be in your pocket.

It's a good case. Sure you can buy cheaper cases but I found this one to be of solid material.

Hope that helps

ESV Global Study Bible PB (English Standard Version)
ESV Global Study Bible PB (English Standard Version)
by Crossway Books USA

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly different ESV study Bible, 2 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You're looking at this because you've heard good things about the ESV and the ESV Study Bible.

The difference between this and the 'non-global' (?) ESV study Bible is that this has been created with a global English-speaking audience in mind. To this Crossway have engaged with contributors from around the world, not just from the 'West' as is mostly the case in the ESV Study Bible.

What this is NOT is a coming together of a Bible with information on Global Christianity i.e. how many christians in different countries and so on. For some reason, that is what I had in mind when I got it!

Nonetheless, because I don't have the ESV Study Bible and because I am looking at cross-nation missions, this is a fantastic resource to have.

If you have an ESV Study Bible, I don't think you will find much here that be worth buying this copy.

HOwever, if you are looking for a study Bible that will contain lots of excellent information and help with understanding God and His Word better, with particular emphasis on the gospel for the world then this is a fantastic buy.

Hope that helps.

Yousave Accessories Silicone X-Line Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price and great product, 1 Feb. 2013
Arrived today and I'm glad I got it.

I have used a Desire HD for the last 2 years and that feels like a solid phone even without a cover (though I did use a cover as well knowing how clumsy I can be). But the Note 2 doesn't feel like it would withstand a drop.

The flip covers would just get irritating and were considerably more expensive on Amazon.

This would instantly makes my phone feel more secure in my hand. it doesn't add much bulk (which is always a crucial point with a phone that is already bigger than my suitcase) and the design also looks pretty cool.

the other advantage this has over the flip covers is that it protects the bit of the phone that is most likely to hit the floor first, namely the edges and corners. With a small lip over the screen, it will also provide some protection should you drop your phone face-first.

It also comes with a screen protector (anyone know how to do it without getting air pockets??) and a screen wipe too.

Brilliant price and great product. Highly recommended.

Hope that helps
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2013 7:38 AM GMT

The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business (J-B Lencioni Series)
by Patrick M. Lencioni

3.0 out of 5 stars Great - if you can afford an external consultant!, 12 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who has any interest in Management books has read or heard of Patrick Lencioni. He writes in a style that is very accessible with lots of anecdotes and stories to help make the point.

This book is no different and is very readable.

As he will state himself, most of it is actually just uncommon common sense.

There was definitely a lot to take out of it given I have just recently joined a growing charity in a Senior Management position. The only problem however, is that much of what he prescribes requires an outside person to really do. For example, he talks about being Vulnerable and suggest that senior managers sit round and talk about one anothers childhood as a starting point.

I am not sure how well a suggestion like that would go down in my organisation, which is a charity and where we actually know each other quite well, let alone in an organisation where you have only ever been work-colleagues and it's a more 'aggressive' culture.

But if you are in senior management then you will definitely get some good ideas - some of which you may well be able to implement without outside intervention. Whatever it is, this will make you think or re-think the accepted norms of management. And that can only be a good thing.

Rastamouse: Muddle Mystery (Rastamouse Magnet Book)
Rastamouse: Muddle Mystery (Rastamouse Magnet Book)
by Genevieve Webster

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest pretty quickly, 12 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My two and a half year old quite likes Rastamouse with all the music and so on. So initially he was very excited about this magnet book.

The idea itself is good - a set of magnetic stickers that one can fit onto the different pages of the book.

However, for my boy, he lost interest pretty quickly. He put the magnets in different places as I sat and helped him and so on. But within about 10 minutes, we were more than done and there wasn't much left to do.

He has played with it briefly a couple of times after but it has limited interest factor. Maybe for a slightly older age group they can build their own stories with the characters and so on.

Virgin to Veteran: How to Get Cooking with Confidence
Virgin to Veteran: How to Get Cooking with Confidence
by Sam Stern

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't tell you how long, 12 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know this book has got lots of high reviews so there is obviously something good about it. And yes there is. He starts with explaining the basics of cooking, utensils, weights, different foods and so on.

The book is logically arranged in terms of different food foundations - chicken, eggs, beef etc etc.

HOwever, the big thing that stops me using this book is the fact that none of the recipes tell you how long the recipe is going to take and there is no difficulty rating either. For a virgin cook, these are pretty fundamental i would say i.e. 'Do I have the time to try this? and is it above my competence level?

So if you have all the time in the world or don't care about how long a recipe is going to take then this is a great book. But if you, like most people, have to cook within a certain time frame, then this book wont help you do that.

Close Pop-In Monkey Print Car Seat Protector (36 Months, Yellow)
Close Pop-In Monkey Print Car Seat Protector (36 Months, Yellow)

2.0 out of 5 stars wont stay put!, 12 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With my boy starting to feed himself, I thought this would be a great thing to have as high-chairs can be notorious to clean.

HOwever, when I put it on his high chair, it wasn't going to fit exactly - which is to be expected since it is made to be quite generic. I thought it would be fine but when I put my boy in, his feet pushed it out of place and kept doing so.

There isn't any easy way to strap it down to the chair and so unless you are going to control your childrens feet and can put them in the high chair without their feet touching this protector, it's going to move out of place. It may still be usable, but it still means that crumbs and food will still get behind it onto the high chair. Possibly not as much as otherwise but still.

May be I haven't given it enough of a chance but I dont use it anymore.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 9:16 PM GMT

SEAL of God
SEAL of God

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy though not particularly exciting read, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: SEAL of God (Kindle Edition)
Free on Kindle for a while, I thought this would help pass away my travel time. It is a great travel book if

a. you are at all interested in what life is like for a SEAL
b. what it is like to train to be a SEAL
c. what it is like to make tough decisions with regards to career vs. call of God on your life.

It is written in a very basic style i.e. just plain narrative. Some of the descriptions don't have enough depth so you don't really get the full understanding of the difficulty of SEAL training (not that I know what the 'full difficulty' is given I have never done it!).

But if you've got friends who are army-oriented and are Christians, or you are witnessing to then they'll find this interesting as well.

Cool Science Tricks: 50 Fantastic Feats for Kids of All Ages
Cool Science Tricks: 50 Fantastic Feats for Kids of All Ages
by Daniel Tatarsky

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty to do!, 12 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to do some 'bonding' with my 7 year old nephew and it has definitely helped!

If you are wondering how to spend more educative and fun time with your children then this is a great book to buy. The book looks very much like the front cover so every experiment looks really exciting.

It is divided into different types of experiments and like a recipe book it is easy to decided whether you want to/can do (i.e. have the required stuff) to do a particular experiment.

Some are more difficult than others so it's worth working your way up to the more difficult. All in all though this is really fantastic, and given the ease of switching on the TV or game console, this is a must-have to take kids away from those things for a change.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30