Profile for P.Rox > Reviews

Content by P.Rox

P.Rox (Dorset, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manager as Coach: The New Way to Get Results (UK Professional Business Management / Business)
by Jenny Rogers

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and practical, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a senior position in the organisation I work for, I manage a number of people. We strive to be an efficient and effective organisation and I know in order to be that, I need to make sure I'm not just able to manage but also coach my staff in order to get the best out of them.

There are a number of well known coaching methods and this book presents and explains the 'OSCAR' method - Outcome, Situation, Choices & Consequence, Action and Review, developed by Jenny Rogers and her co-writers.

Thankfully the book isn't simply a textbook taking you through each stage of OSCAR. Rather it is a really practical and encouraging book that says any manager can be a good coach and gives some excellent advice and application on how to do that. The very first chapter helps to debunk myths about coaching - and I know we all have pre-conceived notions.

And the rest of the book helps to become a better coach.

so how does it rate? Well, as I find with most of the acronyms, you don't really sit in a conversation and work your way through O S C A R. However, having the general framework in mind, some excellent practical methods of application has really helped me in my coaching conversations. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the 'new way to get results' because it's just a new acronym. But this book doesn't spend too much time on the acronym but rather helps flesh out coaching techniques using the acronym as a basic framework.

HOpe that helps.

Clevamama ClevaBed Toilet Training Sleep Mat (White)
Clevamama ClevaBed Toilet Training Sleep Mat (White)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and v useful!, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With my son being toilet trained, this was a must and has proved very useful indeed.

As the other reviews have mentioned, the quality of the product is excellent and soft unlike the old school plastic sheets I'm sure most of us 'suffered' with!

It's great that it's so easy to wash and even tumble dry so should there be an accident you can have it ready for the following night!

Hope that helps

TP-LINK TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router
TP-LINK TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router

3.0 out of 5 stars Increased speeds though not so easy to set up, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We live in a flat and both my wife and I work from home so having good internet speeds is quite a high priority for us. Until we got this TP-Link Router, we simply had our Orange wireless modem that was strategically placed in the flat so that we could get half-decent signal in every part of the house.

The instructions to set up are a little bit more complicated if you are using a Mac and it took me a while to get connected (I would say I am 'technologically comfortable').

I had tested my upload and download speeds prior to plugging in the TP-Link. Prior to installation I was averaging around 4mbps (yes, I know). Once the TP-Link was up and running I was up to a whopping 6mpbs! (we have to be thankful for small mercies!).

Also, the signal throughout the flat is definitely stronger.

Is that additional speed and stronger signal worth £80? I'm not entirely convinced. But if you are in a house with multiple web-devices then this is definitely going to be of benefit.

HOpe that helps

Six Moments of Crisis: Inside British Foreign Policy
Six Moments of Crisis: Inside British Foreign Policy
by Gill Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars very interesting indeed!, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So the ironies of life is that I didn't do History at GCSE's. And yet now I find myself thoroughly appreciating historical novels and historical narratives.

Six Moments of Crisis is a fascinating look into 6 defining moments of British foreign policy - who was involved, what were the global factors surrounding that decision, how the decision was made, what were domestic mitigating factors and so on.

It is written in a very narrative form, which makes it easy to read and there is background on all the key players as well. Although historical it is in no way a dry book. At the same time, it didn't feel it really went into depth - if your looking for a fly-on-the-wall kind of insight then this book isn't that.

Having said that, I thoroughly appreciated all that I learnt and now can pretend to be slightly aware of modern British history!

So whether you are a student of history or just a mild interest in events that you may have been old enough to see on the news, or too young to know about, this will be an excellent book to read.

Perlasca: The Courage Of A Just Man:English Sub-titled [DVD]
Perlasca: The Courage Of A Just Man:English Sub-titled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luca Zingaretti

4.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy but definitely worth the watch!, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most of us will have watched Schindler's List from way back. This is a not a dissimilar story where one man, Perlasca, uses his quick thinking and powers of persuasion to save countless Hungarian Jews from being killed or sent to concentration camps.

It obviously does not fall under the 'easy watching' category and it brought back to mind the horrors that were suffered in WW2 - something that we can so easily forget.

The acting is all excellent and the story moves at a good pace. The only issue with this version is that although it is spoken in Italian with subtitles, Italian is spoken where the original would have had German spoken - therefore there is an issue with lip-sync. However, it is a very minor point.

If you have an interest in history and biographical stories then this is definitely one for your list.

hope that helps.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select Razor
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select Razor
Offered by CrazyKangaroo

3.0 out of 5 stars Closer shave but still cut myself., 4 April 2013
Length:: 2:32 Mins

A brief review of the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select Razor.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes for Indian and Western palettes, 4 April 2013
Length:: 2:08 Mins

A short look and review of Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast cook book.

Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says!, 3 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is really easy to use and does exactly what the description says! It's a handy way to carry any perfume around, and there's no mess or fuss re-filling it. Stores the perfume securely. Just wish it held a bit more as you need to refill quite often.

Unfinished Empire: The Global Expansion of Britain
Unfinished Empire: The Global Expansion of Britain
by John Darwin

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 27 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having grown up in India with an English mother and Anglo-Indian father, I've always been interested in getting a deeper understanding of the British Empire, with particular emphasis on India and the East India Company.

Darwin's book makes for refreshingly honest and fascinating reading of the strange blend of foresight, luck and accident that formed the British Empire. He describes the many forces that forged the 'unfinished empire' into it's various forms and guises across the world.

It is written in a manner that is almost conversational (although in a good way) with a blend of fact, stories, characters and other interesting nuggets of information. There is much more here than just historical narrative.

I have found it a fascinating read and I am learning so much from it.

If you have even a vague interest in finding our more about the British Empire and how it came to be and then not, this is a book I would highly recommend reading.

Hope that helps.

AVES Aqua Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ Noise-reduction Mic Handsfree Phone Kit in Black
Offered by eHome

3.0 out of 5 stars people who like bass can stay away, 27 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous speaker for the kitchen stopped working and being the loving husband that I am, I spend a fair amount of time washing up so I like to have some music in the background.

Let's start with the positives:

1. It's a handy size so wont take up too much space in an overnight/weekend bag when traveling for work.
2. It comes with a soft bag for storage and minor amount of protection.
3. It was easy enough to connect my mobile via Bluetooth - just follow the two step instructions.
4. The touch sensitive buttons are sensitive so it's easy to change volume etc
5. It has a built-in mic so you can take phone calls while washing up, cooking etc without having to dry or clean hands etc etc.
6. The fact that it is bluetooth means that all makes of smartphone with bluetooth can connect and you aren't worrying about wires etc.

Now the not-so-goods:

1. Unless it is permanently switched on to mains power, you need to re-pair it with your bluetooth device each time you want to use it. e.g. if you run it off battery and then disconnect bluetooth, the next time you want to play music via bluetooth, you need to make it 'discoverable' by pressing and holding the 'phone' icon till the light flashes blue and red. This can be quite irritating, as you can imagine.

2. Although it looks a fancy design, the fact that the buttons are facing down means that this can only be easily used if it is positioned at eye-level so you can see where the volume or power or phone buttons are. Mine sits on the top of fridge in the kitchen. If it was on the work shelf or anywhere else, it isnt easy to adjust the volume without bending down to make sure you are pressing in the right area.

3. And then there's the sound. I know one can't expect Bose-quality sound but my experience is that the guys who built it had not heard of something called 'bass'. It is entirely missing. So if you ever listen to any music that involves some bass then I would not bother purchasing it. I have a varied taste in music but I know that I can't listen to my Gravity Lecrae albums when washing up. LIght-rock or easy-listening will do but anything else it's just too painful.

Current price on Amazon is £50. I would encourage you to look at what other options are out there for similar amounts of money if quality of sound is of any importance to you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20