Profile for jan > Reviews

Content by jan

jan "Jan" (Berlin)

Ultra Thin Slim Full Aluminum Frame Metal Bumper Case Cover For iPhone 5S/5(Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratched my phone, charger cable doesn't fit, manual is misleading, 15 May 2014
I actually ordered two of these.

I made the mistake of following the instruction manual that came with the bumper case. Unfortunately the manual doesn't help with the fitting this case. One needs to losen the screws with the tiny screw driver that comes with the case before putting the case on your phone.

The instruction manual completely skips this step, which made me scratch the metal bits of my iphone severely when I tried to fit the case. Following the manual also skews the metal frame of the case, making it useless. Of course amazon charged me twice for sending me products that aren't fit for purpose, even though I complied about the misleading manual that comes with the case by email.

Once I had fitted the second case I ordered I realised that the amazing charging cable for the iphone don't work with this case. I've now bought a Ringke slim bumper, which is easier to use than this one, in my opinion.

Stabilo Point 88 Fineliner Pen Water-based Tip 0.4mm Line Red Ref 88/40 [Pack of 10]

5.0 out of 5 stars Stabilo products are usually a good buy and these pens are no exemption from the rule, 15 May 2014
I missed these pens as a German citizen living in the UK.

I appreciate good quality stationary and started using these at work. Much better than cheap ball pens!

Great for anyone enjoying editing text on paper instead of doing it on screen.

The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man
The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man
by Brett McKay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that teaches you lots of life lessons you might have missed so far, 15 May 2014
I found reading this book incredibly enjoyable.

Of course lots of the advice it gives is straightforward and just confirms what common sense already tells you to do. However, the book gives a great overview of what modern manhood entails. It also allows you to become a better man by comparing your actual behaviour in different situations to how you ideally should behave.

The book might sometimes be a bit overly old fashioned and very American, but that doesn't make it any less helpful at all. I also found the fighting techniques described in the book quite entertaining - obviously you won't be able to win an unprovoked pub fight if all your preparation was reading books!

All in all, the book is entertaining to read and allows you to identify and work towards eliminating potential weaknesses. A good read for any man interested in continuous self-improvement and personal development.

Knirps FiberY1 870 Folding Umbrella Navy Blue
Knirps FiberY1 870 Folding Umbrella Navy Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good umbrella, but not 100 per cent windproof, 22 Dec. 2013
I like this umbrella - it's well built and looks nice.

However, I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a 100 per cent windproof and sometimes folds over in strong wind.

Still not a bad buy, would probably buy an automatic model next time!

Orange Bumper Case Skin Cover for Apple iPhone 4S iPhone 4 4G Keep Talking Accessories
Offered by Kenco Spares

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 14 Oct. 2013
Edges lose their colour pretty soon. But that's fine as the whole thing is so damn cheap.

Protects the phone nicely.

Epson WorkForce WF-3540DTWF 4-in-1 A4 Printer with Direct Wifi Fast Duplex Printing and Dual Trays

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty happy with this, 12 Oct. 2013
Easy to set up, print quality is alright and I especially find the ADF Duplex Scanner extremely useful for archiving. Using it nearly every day now to declutter my apartment and to move digital. The ADF works very reliable and jams only at rate occasions when the document I'm scanning is too worn out.

Am also fond of the two separate paper trays (could use two different kinds of paper, or put envelopes in one of them) and the extra paper feeder at the back of the unit for specialty media. That's something that similar, even slightly more expensive printers (eg like the HP Officejet 8600 Plus) just don't have.

If you buy non-Epson ink the printer also gives you very decent printing costs per page.

Bargain for the price, honestly. And the printer is smaller than I expected it to be. Wonder how Epson can make a profit from this device.

Ergotron MX Desk Mount with LCD Arm
Ergotron MX Desk Mount with LCD Arm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid, 29 Jun. 2013
Holds my Dell U2711 monitor very well and can be assembled very quickly. It's pricey but it seems so robust that I'm optimistic that I will be able to use the desk mount for many years to come, so no bad investment at all.

AmazonBasics 10- to 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with CD Shred
AmazonBasics 10- to 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with CD Shred

2.0 out of 5 stars Went into self-destruct mode, 29 Jun. 2013
Worked well for as long as it lasted (1-2 months). The shredder unit broke one day (literally) even though we tried to be careful with the device. It also jammed regularly, so I'm now buying one from Argos with similar functions.

Econometric Analysis
Econometric Analysis
by William H. Greene

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too useful, 25 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Econometric Analysis (Paperback)
NOT very HELPFUL. It is basically impossible to learn from this book as a postgrad student if you are not very familiar with the methods presented in this book. Moreover, due to the complicated notation, you are forced to read it from the beginning if you want to fully understand Greene's explanations. Don't buy this book, but a more user-friendly book, if you are no econometrics-lecturer or, even better, a professor of econometrics.