Profile for MikeRammell > Reviews

Content by MikeRammell

MikeRammell

RF-603 Wireless Remote control Switch & Studio Flash Trigger combi System for Canon Eos 1D,1DS,5D,5DII,7D,10D,20D,30D,40D,50D DSLR Camera as RS-80N3
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars No misfires - but they do slip, 13 Jun. 2013
I'd read some positive reviews and some negative reviews, but I honestly can't see what the issue is.

I'm a wedding photographer and was looking for some simple replacements for Pocket Wizards. I posted a comment to a private forum that I'm a member of and the only people who spoke negatively were the self-confessed snobs: the guys who buy only the best.

Well, these didn't misfire once. They were absolutely fine. My group shots were brilliant: I put my flash shoe onto my tripod and then the Wireless remote on the flash shoe and then my 580EXII onto the hot shoe of this trigger. It all worked fine.

I picked up and moved my tripod though and the flash and the trigger did slip off. Unfortunately there is no way to lock these triggers into place. For example my flash has a little collar type mechanism that you slide round to lock it onto the camera. It'd be nice to see something like that on these. Then they'd be a 5 out of 5.

Otherwise though the range was superb and they responded each and every time.

TRIXES 10m USB Active Repeater Extension Cable USB2.0
TRIXES 10m USB Active Repeater Extension Cable USB2.0
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars It's blue, it's long and it works. What more could you want?, 13 Jun. 2013
I ordered this as I wanted to do some tethered shooting to LightRoom. (Using LightRoom 4 at the time with my Canon 7D).

I was shooting some headshots with my studio and I must say it worked absolutely fine. I had it connected to a Windows 7 laptop.

I needed the length as I wanted to ensure I had plenty spare and so that I could tuck it away. It's 10M exactly. So, as described.

I also looked for a brightly coloured cable to ensure people would notice the cable when walking around. I had the option of either blue or Orange and opted for blue as the Orange was more expensive. This cable is bright and as described.

Seriously - there isn't much to think about here: the cable is as described and works absolutely fine. I have a 0.3m Black USB cable that I hook into the end - the connection was snug and the two stayed connected the entire time.

If you're unsure about it - don't be. the cable is fine

Kingston Digital CompactFlash Ultimate 600x 16 GB Flash Drive CF/16GB-U3
Kingston Digital CompactFlash Ultimate 600x 16 GB Flash Drive CF/16GB-U3
Offered by MemoCow

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't skipped a beat, 29 Nov. 2012
I've now got 4 of these 16Gb 600x Kingston CF's and I must say they have been perfect.

I have had them for quite some time now. I initially purchased 2 back in early 2012 when I upgraded to an Canon 7D. I thought if they worked then I'd buy a few more. If they didn't then I'd plunge and buy the Sandisk one's or something.

Well, I'm pleased to report they have performed 100%. Not a single corrupt file, not a problem at all.

Only one incident..and that's what has lead me to write this review.

I was shooting a wedding earlier in November and came to realised that evening that I had LOST a card...I was gutted! I had written my contact information on the cards etc so was hopeful some good samaratan would return it to me. Well, as luck would have it I went out the next morning as soon as it was light to search for the card. luckily, i found it. It was on the lawn where I was photographing the group shots. It was wet and frozen! Solid! It was covered in grass too. What's more there were signs that other weddings had taken place at the registry after the wedding I shot, so I'm suprised no-one saw it, or even stood on it.

I got it home, dried it off and inserted into my card reader. Presto! My images were all there. Still not a single corrupt image.

Pleased to say I've purchased ANOTHER one now, partly because I'm nervous that card may fail because it's been through an ordeal, partly because I was so impressed.
I have made a point to use that particlar card more than the others I have to test it. I recently went on a small family holiday to Cornwall and used that one card the entire trip. Still working.

Very impressed and I won't hesitate to buy another one.

Should add - Transfer speeds are good enough for me to fire of the maximum of 25 RAW shots on the 7D. (I say maximum because that's all the &d on firmware version 2 can do)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2013 11:09 AM BST

Kaavie CR-12A/N3 Shutter Release Cable for Canon RS-80N3
Kaavie CR-12A/N3 Shutter Release Cable for Canon RS-80N3

5.0 out of 5 stars Product is great. Instructions written by Yoda., 9 May 2012
I must admit I was very pleased when opening this item. The build quality is very impressive. The size is good and it's even got little ergonomic features like the grip for your forefinger and a sort of metalic grip like plate on the front.

The cable is thick and rugged to feel. It's also a nice long long length too.

The fitting at the end that goes into the camera (will be used on my 7D) is also very well made.

The shutter released button can also be locked into place so, I guess if you don't have a bulb mode on your camera then this remote will take care of that for you. You can press the shutter release and then slide it up to hold the shutter release down. There is a small orange area underneath that is visible when the shutter is on hold, much like that on on an iPad / iPhone etc.

All in all, for the price this is an outstanding product. I was only after something cheap and cheerful and wouldn't really have been bothered if it was a little plastic thing.

This more than exceeds my expectations. Very pleased
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2013 11:12 AM BST

Hama 095970 Fancy Memory Card Case for Compact Flash Cards - Black
Hama 095970 Fancy Memory Card Case for Compact Flash Cards - Black
Offered by KOKA Best Stocks, Best Prices

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive. Better than review images show., 4 May 2012
Really impressed. It's a solid little case, really is. Closes firmly, the inside is really great. It's a tough-sh kind of rubber material so that you can push the CF cards in so that the are snug in the mould, but getting them out is also a doddle. Really well made, nice looking. Compact.

Hama Microclean Cloth
Hama Microclean Cloth

4.0 out of 5 stars shockingly small, but that's okay., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Hama Microclean Cloth (Camera)
must admit I was totally shocked at the size of this item when it arrived. It's about the size of a small key. The cloth that comes out folds out to a decent size and is a decent material too.

Overall it's not 100% what I expected but is fine for the job. Fits into the pockets in my camera bag just fine .

I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed - I will be using this, but I was hoping it would be a little larger.

The images on the description must be edited, either that or the camera and camcorder it's pictured with have shrunk in the wash!

STK Vertical Leather Executive Case for iPhone 4 - Black
STK Vertical Leather Executive Case for iPhone 4 - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Terrible. Would only represent any value if it retailed at around £1., 5 Mar. 2012
I purchased this product in March 2012. Pan Gadget's - the seller was brilliant. 100%. Could not fault them.

The product however is terrible. At £9.48 I didn't expect a hugely premium product at all - just something basic that does the job. This however is simply awful. The white stitching is cheap, there are scratches on the 'leather', there are bits of glue all over this case too.

My iPhone 4G doesn't really fit comfortably into the case either on the sides, however the height is fine. It's like it's been made by a very poor tailor. What's more I have to remove it from the case if I want to charge it because the area at the bottom (visible when open) isn't quite wide enough.

I severely doubt the longevity of this case and it's ability to actually last more than a few months (If I were to carry on using it) It clearly looks like it would be ruined very quickly.

I am well aware of the old adage that you get what you pay for, and I'm normally quite willing to accept that by paying slightly less that I should accept slightly less, this however would only represent good value if it cost around £1.

Overall: Totally un-impressed. The iPhone 4G is a lovely looking phone and when I put it in this case I'm quite embarrassed. It looks ridiculous, feels ridiculous and I would not buy anything like this ever again.

Timbuk2 Kindle Envelope Sleeve, Black/Black/Black (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars cheaper than the official case...but better, 4 Mar. 2011
The case is brilliant.

It's slightly rigid which is perfect, meaning it is resistant to puncture & sharp items whilst in bag or laptop case. The inside has a plush finish meaning it will keep the screen clean & scratch free! The edges are very well stitched, the edges are fairly hard meaning dropping it from a height will give my kindle a soft landing. In general the case is extremely well made, tough, stylish and smart. It's cheaper than the official Kindle case which i just found slightly too expensive, considering I'd just paid over £100 for the device itself. If like me you want a slightly cheaper case in terms of price, but not in terms of quality...this is the case you should go for. BUY IT NOW!