Profile for The bookloving Norman > Reviews

Content by The bookloving...

The bookloving Norman (Italy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Wallander - Series 4: The Final Chapter [DVD] [2016]
Wallander - Series 4: The Final Chapter [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Branagh!, 24 July 2016
Fantastic series. Fantastic Branagh, environments, Actors, colours. Better the series than the books.

The Normans / R. Allen Brown
The Normans / R. Allen Brown
by R. Allen (Reginald Allen) (1924-) Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars A history of my ancestors, maybe a bit old-fashioned but interesting, 24 April 2016
I have always been interested in the Normans, since childhood, because I bear a Norman family name and I am very likely descended from one of the families that settled in Apulia in the 11th century. In time, as I read more and studied the history of the "dark Ages" (which we don't study much in Italy, as most historians and teachers find "the barbarians" uninteresting) I realised I was much keener on Viking culture, from which the Normans stemmed - paganism and a simple society respectful of individual freedom and of women instead of Christianity and feudalism. Anyway, I wanted to go back to the Normans to try and understand the passage from Viking to Norman. R.A. Brown's essay is interesting and very detailed in dealing with the historical events that brought different parts of Europe to be under the control of the Normans, while the more cultural and anthropological aspects are not given much space. In a rather old-fashioned manner, the author takes it for granted that becoming a Christian culture with a lot of structure is good, so how the Vikings led by Rollo the Walker established themselves in Frankia, changed their ways and ended up as Christians is only given a couple of pages; in discussing the conquest of England he takes the Norman side honestly admitting, at least, that it is also a matter of personal mentality if you think the destruction of Anglo-Saxon England was or wasn't a loss. Language isn't discussed at all, so if I want to understand what happened as Old Norse speakers created their own brand of French I'll have to find something else.The writer's language is rather dense: in the introduction the author says it was difficult for him to find an editor that didn't ask to cut his sentences into shorter ones. Pictures are all in black and white, mostly of architecture (The Normans were great builders). The the pictures from the Bayeux Tapestry are in colour.

Crimson Peak [DVD] [2015]
Crimson Peak [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Charlie Hunnam

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Victorian Gothic tale, 24 April 2016
This review is from: Crimson Peak [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I bought this film because I read it was good, because I like the Gothic both in films and in books, and because I like Tom Hiddleston very, very much. A very talented actor and a rather handsome guy. I'll add that I am easily scared so as I was watching it I thoght it wasn't so bad I had missed it at the cinema, I would have probably freaked out. I think it is very good - a bit like "The others" it is consciously built on classic 19th century Gothic, but it is more openly horrifying, and less based on the imagination- there are glimpses or really horrid things and creatures, which I count as a slight defect. The acting is good, with the two women looking quite Pre-raphaelite. The best element in it, which is totally victorian as a concept, is the way the house is a physical metaphor of the people who own it. Costumes are also very good (the first time you see Jessica Chastain plaing the piano in a tight red silk dress you are reminded of Blake's red dragon, or at least I was).

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Latin): Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis (Latin) (Latin Edition)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly funnier than reading Cicero, though it does need an effort., 24 April 2016
Of course this is not a review of JK Rowling's Harry Potter novel - which I have read and reread I don't know how many times, but of the Latin translation. My husband sometimes wants to do something new, and a few months ago he started a basic Latin course for adult learners. He only studied it a bit for a couple of years, something like 45 years ago. As a teacher of English, I see everyday that the one thing that helps learna language is reading, reading fiction most of all. Rather than trying to read the absolutely boring stuff you read at school, I suggested one of the short Potters, as he, too, has read them. I think reading something that you already know and that you like can help a lot, but of course the easy part was buying it. He has started reading and finds it good, though it takes time and the help of the English original. Sometimes I read the Latin to him (I studied it for longer) while he reads the original. It is intriguing, the funniest part is the descriptions of the characters and also, the stranslations of modern words, such as "pyroboli" for Christmas crackers and "birotula automataria" for motorbike, I think it would be even more stimulating for someone who is studying the language at school and is "fresher" tha we are - I had not touched anything in Latin since 1982. Anyway, my intrepid husband has already bought "HP et camera secretorum" .

Vikings: Season 3 [DVD] [2015]
Vikings: Season 3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Travis Fimmel

5.0 out of 5 stars Valhalla or Glory - or both, 22 Mar. 2016
I love Vikings - I don't think there has been a series which I have found so compelling in ages. The characters have evolved over the seasons but remain true to themselves, the plot works wonderfully. Series three does have some minor defects - calling them weak points would be too much. Let's say that in a couple of moments one thinks "this goes a bit too far", whether it is Queen Kwentrith saying "ladies and gentlemen" (ironically) or a couple of Frankish aristocrats engaging in a bit of kinky - very chaste compared to Game of Thrones. Anyway, in season 3 we add Frankia as a setting, which complicates communication a little; we meet some new characters (one of them, slightly boring, dies in series 4, so we only have to bear with him for a while) and we say goodbye to some much loved old ones. Each must die some day, and at least two of them should be welcomed in Valhalla for the way they die, so that is some consolation. It's good, it is really good. And series 4, which is currently at episode 5, is once more as flawless as 1 and 2.

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi and 4G, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is so good we bought another one, 7 Dec. 2015
This is our second Kindle fire - we bought it because we liked the first one we got (which does not have 4G) so much we wanted to have one each. It is fast, easy and reliable, I like it much much better than the ipad I use for school: it's half as heavy, the spellcheck is well conceived so it makes writing really easier (the ipad's spellcheck is a total and complete nightmare) and customer care is great. I have to add, we haven't yet managed to use it with 4G, but that is because where we live, in Italy, Kindle fire versions with 4G are not available yet, so we have to understand how to overcome this snag. Not such a big problem, anyway, as that is not why we bought it.

Far From The Madding Crowd [DVD] [2015]
Far From The Madding Crowd [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Carey Mulligan

4.0 out of 5 stars A good film, 7 Dec. 2015
I have never seen the film with Julie Christie, while I loved the BBC series starring Nathaniel Parker and Nigel Terry. This film is a good adaptation: it is intelligently done, the settings are beautiful, the costumes great, the actors are good, I think. Nevertheless, if you know the book (which I read after watching the BBC version) you will feel something is missing, and that is depth. Even when they're not very long, Victorian novels don't just recreate a world on the page, they manage to explore the characters' minds so that we really understand why they act the way they do. Relationship and chains of actions become clear as you read, but that is very difficult to do in two hours: in the film, some characters are given such little space, it is difficult to understand their role in the plot; one example is poor Fanny who appears in two very short scenes before dying). Essentially, the film is too short for the characters' actions to be truly understandable by the audience. Yet it is Worth watching, I am pleased I bought it.

Jack Taylor - Complete Collection One & Two [import]
Jack Taylor - Complete Collection One & Two [import]
Dvd ~ Iain Glen
Offered by wmdservices

4.0 out of 5 stars Old tricks, and a very charming bear., 21 Jun. 2015
I read about "Jack Taylor" in The Guardian, and The review was positive. The real reason Why I bought it was that I love Iain Glen, I love his gruff voice most of all. The series is classic, a little too Classic: The detective is battered by life and often drunk, but his instincts are never wrong. And of course women fall into his arms, and how could they not... Anyway The solution of The crimes is not so obvious. To conclude, If You want something different or unusual in a crimes series it is not The right thing To buy.If You think listening To an actor's voice is a big part of enjoying films and tv, them this is just The right pick, even more so If You happen To belong To The Jorah Mormont Fan club- it could actually become addictive. I need To add that this is a Dutch edition, with Dutch subtitles only, which is maybe not ideal To understand those characters whose Irish accent is rather strong.(Sorry for The Ipad's stupid capitalisation).

Wild Food: Foraging for Food in the Wild
Wild Food: Foraging for Food in the Wild
by Jane Eastoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 16 April 2015
Very interesting book and useful. Lovely plurale cover.

The Homesman [DVD] [2014]
The Homesman [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sad story. A beautiful bleak landscape, 16 April 2015
This review is from: The Homesman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Very sad story. Set in very beautiful bleak landscape, moving at an (appropriately) slow pace. A struggle to survive and overcome loneliness and desperation. Hillary Swank in an unusual role. Beautiful cameo by Meryl Streep.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6