Profile for Simon Radford > Reviews

Content by Simon Radford

Simon Radford "SGR" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Python: Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well. Python for Beginners with Hands-on Project. (Learn Coding Fast with Hands-On Project Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to read through Python basics quickly and put them into practice - read this, 21 May 2017
Whisks you through the basics of Python programming with appendices to fill out the detail on string handling, lists tuples and dictionaries. It was exactly what I needed - somethging to show me the bare bones of Python so I can use it though if you are a less experienced programmer you may find the speed of it a bit breathtaking. Whatever you are I encourage you to do the project at the end (together with the extra challenges) to let you Python knowledge bed in well - it is a substantial program and I would advise that you do the coding before you look at the answers.
The way you are lead through it ,means you cannot stop to run it as you write - that delight is left until the main program has been written. I would also suggest leaving out the try: except: around the main program - at least until it runs bug free as you will lose the detailed interpreter messages if you put it in and you will flounder wondering where the problem is. And believe me there will be problems - and you will learn at least as much as before by getting rid of them. There is also tons of scope for extending the program with your own ideas.

Electronics Cookbook: Practical Electronic Recipes with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
by Simon Monk

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got this it's fascinating, 21 May 2017
Only got it yesterday but I am already well into it - if you need something to tell you what you item should be using to perform a certain task, or to give you ideas for your current or next project this appears to be it - there is an emphasis on Arduino and Raspberry Pi - which suits me - but it's not just for these boards. If you are a beginner or not too far up the electronics ladder you will appreciate it - sorry I can't speak for the experienced hobbyist not being one myself :-) but it does seem to be a good reference. It is set out like "I have a problem, Here is the solution, Here is a discussion of the solution" (I have never had a cookbook book but I assume this is the style they use for Reilly.) It is well illustrated, lots of ccircuit examples and there are code sections for Arduino and Pi. There is a lot of advice - and it doesn't shy away fro things like mains AC, though with many dire (but sensible) warnings. It is very US-centric so us poor souls in the rest of the world will have to convert some of their weird systems... but Monk does use the metric system rather than US/imperial. It is a new book - (April 2017) and there are a some "bugs" like diagrams referenced incorrectly but on the who;e everything seems fine. (Reily do have an errata site foir the book - must vist it :-)

The Last Kingdom (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 1)
The Last Kingdom (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written - very atmospheric, 11 Dec. 2016
Wonderful story with an atmospheric historical feel to it. If you like Historical fiction, want to read more about the "dark ages" then read this. There are bloody scenes in it - I hate war, but this was so fascinating to read.

The Guitar
The Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely guitar pieces played beautifully., 11 Dec. 2016
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
As I said...... lovely guitar pieces played beautifully. Really glad I bought it

Blackbird: The Beatles Album
Blackbird: The Beatles Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant arrangements, 11 Dec. 2016
Really nice arrangements of classics. I am not so keen on the voice arrangements a couple of them but they certainly don't spoil the whole album.

Julian Bream & John Williams - Together - The Ultimate Collection [2CD]
Julian Bream & John Williams - Together - The Ultimate Collection [2CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music, 11 Dec. 2016
If you like the classical guitar, you will adore this. First knew these records at university in the 70's now I have them on CD!

Haz 500 ml Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol First Aid Anti Septic
Haz 500 ml Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol First Aid Anti Septic
Offered by My Beauty Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful to have a bottle in the house, 11 Dec. 2016
Wonderful stuff for cleaning cuts and cleaning label sticky of things , and general cleaning of equipment.

Hayfever Tablets (Cetirizine) 2 x 14 (GSL)
Hayfever Tablets (Cetirizine) 2 x 14 (GSL)
Offered by NHL Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 11 Dec. 2016
Stop my eyes itching and my nose dripping when there's pollen or house dust about. When you buy them, they will ask you questions before they send them - they have to do this by law, as any pharmacy does.

A Vogel Echinaforce Echinacea Drops, 100 ml
A Vogel Echinaforce Echinacea Drops, 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful and well worth it, 11 Dec. 2016
They seem to be holding the colds at bay - have been using this brand for years but in smaller bottles - this is an ideal size. I have COPD and when I get a cold I invariably get a chest infection so I need to do what I can to stop them. Although not advised for long term use I put 20 drops in my megadose Vitamin C drink (another part of the anti-cold strategy) every morning. This bottle lasts about 4 months. My last cold was in February of this year - I used to get them every 3 months or so.

D'Addario EJ27N Student Classics Normal  (.028-.043) Classical Guitar Strings
D'Addario EJ27N Student Classics Normal (.028-.043) Classical Guitar Strings
Offered by River Music UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job for a (very) amateur guitar player, 11 Dec. 2016
Nice tone, once they're bedded in they hold their tuning well. Will be buying these again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10