Profile for Fred K > Reviews

Content by Fred K

Fred K (St Helens UK)

AVG Internet Security 2013: 4 User - 2 year License (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2013: 4 User - 2 year License (PC)
Offered by filmrollen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Technical Service, 18 July 2013
I have used AVG for years but was having an unexpected problem updating two computers from AVG 2012. Customer Service transferred me to a "Tech-buddy" who sorted out both, partly by by remote access. It's a bit scary watching things moving without your own actions but it solved my problems quickly.

That was great but, once installed, I found I don't like the new visual interfaces as much as AVG 2012, In that respect I think improvement means worse. Otherwise it works as well as ever.

C5 Cloverleaf Power Cord / Mains Cable Lead / UK Type Plug for Laptop Adapter / Charger Acer Dell HP Compaq Sony Toshiba Vaio Delta

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, rapid delivery but wrong fuse., 3 May 2013
It looks like the OEM supplied with the computer but was fitted with a 13 amp fuse instead of a 3 amp ( my AC adapter input is shown as 1.5 amp). If the lead is suitable for inputs up to 13 amp, I think a note drawing attention to the possible need to change the fuse according to the intended use should accompany it.

AmazonBasics Wireless Mouse with Nano Receiver Black
AmazonBasics Wireless Mouse with Nano Receiver Black

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't work for me, 19 Dec. 2012
This item was delivered promptly but would not work. My Windows Vista installer notified a missing file in the mouse software. I was impressed by the Amazon return/replacement system but the replacement had the same problem and was also returned and not replaced.

I thought the problem might lie with my computer but a similar basic wireless mouse, purchased locally, plugged and played immediately.

AVG Internet Security 9.0 (3 User 2 Year Licence) Passkey (FREE UPGRADE TO AVG 2012)

4.0 out of 5 stars Staying with AVG, 5 Aug. 2011
My 2 year AVG 9 licence was nearing expiry and they had been prompting me to renew for some weeks. This passkey purchase was by far the cheapest way to renew it, via an approved re-seller.

Installation was not a problem but I did it on receipt of the key, rather than waiting till the expiry date of the old licence and found I lost a few weeks subscription as AVG dated the licence extension from the time of installation rather than expiry of the old one. It would have been 5 star otherwise.

I hgave not yet upgraded to AVG 2011 as my computer is a bit cranky so I don't provoke it. The reseller advises doing this by download as some customers report problems with the CD.

Casio Unisex A168W-1 Quartz Watch with Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet
Offered by Euro-Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favourite, 17 Feb. 2010
This is one of a long line of Casio Digital Display watches I have owned and wear exclusively for both work and holidays, where the alarm, date and illumination functions and the legible display are all very useful.(I have a posh watch for smart occasions). I have had three of this particular model, although it is not my favourite but Casio appear to have dropped the design I had last, a dual-time version with a large circular face and an even more legible display.

My major criticism of the cheaper Casio watch range is that the silver finish on the plastic cases(but not the stainless steel bracelets!) wears off fairly rapidly and the appearance is then very poor, even for everyday wear. My wife makes me throw them away, in full working order. This seems very wasteful in an age of conservation. Hence only four stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 6:37 PM BST

Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar Body Care Duo Gift Set
Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar Body Care Duo Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Perfume, 17 Feb. 2010
My wife loves the scent of the "Nantucket Briar" range of body care products and I always get brownie points when I buy her some. I also like the aroma, but on her, not me!

She also likes the way the various preparations look after her skin, so I must also report this aspect favourably.

Alfred Brendel: The Farewell Concerts
Alfred Brendel: The Farewell Concerts

5.0 out of 5 stars Brendel's Farewell Concerts /2CDs, 13 Jan. 2010
While the Concert Hall sound quality is a little below studio recording level, Alfred Brendel's artistry seems undiminished, compared with recordings made nearly 40 years ago. It is wise to quit before the ability fades, as he has chosen to do.

Sir Charles Mackerras, who conducts, is equally indestructible. We saw him recently in a sparkling performance with the Liverpool Phil(our local heroes). On these two recordings, he and the Vienna Philharmonika complement Brendel beautifully, as we hoped they would.