Profile for badgerbreath > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
D.O.A. The Third And Final Report Of Throbbing Gristle
D.O.A. The Third And Final Report Of Throbbing Gristle

4.0 out of 5 stars somewhere between disturbing and amusing., 3 Sept. 2015
Worth a listen with your headphones on. A couple of highlights and a bit of filler. Perhaps more important and influential than especially 'good', and more silly than sinister

Tesco Hudl
Tesco Hudl
Offered by Executivez

3.0 out of 5 stars OKish, 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Tesco Hudl (Personal Computers)
bought a couple of these for my kids. Alright for the money. The chargers don't seem to fit well. And now one of them doesn't charge at all, so it's 'dead.Next time, I'll spend more on something better.

Transverse
Transverse

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a spin, 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Transverse (Audio CD)
pretty good. Can't really say that Carter or Tutti have evolved much since the 1970s; basically this is industrial dance of the sort we're very familiar with, but it's one of the better examples of the genre.

Dogma
Dogma
by Lars Iyer

1.0 out of 5 stars overpraised self indulgence. The author has a few vaguely ..., 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Dogma (Paperback)
overpraised self indulgence. The author has a few vaguely interesting ideas and stylistic quirks, which he repeats endlessly in all of his novels - if you've read one, you've read them all.

Sisters
Sisters
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars possibly of historical interest, 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Sisters (Amazon Video)
visual wit abounds, but apart from that this is one of the director's most regressive, cynical and silly efforts - and not frightening in the least. A very overrated film, in my opinion.

Grindhouse: the Forbidden World of "Adults Only" Cinema: The Forbidden History of "Adults Only" Cinema / Eddie Muller and Daniel Faris.
by Eddie Muller

4.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable and nicely illustrated romp through the grindhouse/exploitation field, 17 Dec. 2014
an enjoyable and nicely illustrated romp through the grindhouse/exploitation field. By now, the story seems to have been told a dozen times, so the book will be enlightening only to those unfamiliar with the field. It covers a lot of the same ground as the DVD 'American Grindhouse', in which Muller appears, as does Eric Schaefer. For a truly in-depth study of the cultural, socio-economic and ideological contexts of classical exploitation up to the late 1950s, read Schaefer's magesterial tome, 'Bold! Daring! Shocking! True'.

Stratosfear
Stratosfear
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Among their best but not THE best, 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Stratosfear (Audio CD)
This was one of those albums I had on vinyl as a teenager, then threw away in my thirties when I thought I'd grown out of all that "spacey" synthesizer music. Now, of course, perhaps in the grip of middle-aged nostalgia, I'm buying many of them again. And in some cases regretting it. But not in this case. I find that TDs albums of the 1970s have aged pretty well, certainly more so than their 1980s work. This one naturally sounds a trifle dated here and there, and TD's titles often still make me cringe, but for the most part I find it still weaves quite a beguiling spell. In some ways it could be heard as a transition to a more 'poppy' style on TD's part. In any case the sound mix is a little odder than I remember it - I recall parts suddenly getting louder, but not in as pronounced a way as here. That might be a reflection of the awful stereo I played it on as a kid. Anyway, I can't make great claims for it (I don't have a deep musical vocabulary) but it's atmospheric and textured; I'm enjoying it and am glad to have it back.

Factory Floor
Factory Floor

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Factory Floor (Audio CD)
After all the hype I thought I must give this a go because on paper it sounded like just my cup of tea. But it's distinctly average. I've seen it described in various quarters as 'challenging', often with the implication that only those with adventurous tastes will like it.In fact I found it pretty trite; glib and cliched, and the old skool references are too cool for its own good. I might give it another listen,just to be sure. Probably OK on your Ipod, for walking around town at night to,or maybe when played very loud at arty parties.

The Haxan Cloak
The Haxan Cloak

1.0 out of 5 stars obvious, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Haxan Cloak (MP3 Download)
I'm afraid I found this extremely dull. It tries to tick a lot of currently fashionable boxes - horror soundtracks and the rest - but to my ears it amounts to nothing beyond a series of tired gothic cliches. Demdyke Stare and some of the doomjazz people do slightly similar things slightly better, but the witchy, haunty signifiers are too obvious and predictable all round: few representatives of this genre have enough ideas to sustain a whole CD, in my humble opinion.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2015 12:20 PM BST

Traditionalists: Le Mani DeStre Recise DeGli Ultimi Uomini
Traditionalists: Le Mani DeStre Recise DeGli Ultimi Uomini

3.0 out of 5 stars good pastiche, 18 May 2012
For some reason Italian horror films and gialli are very fashionable at the moment and many bands are referencing their sountracks. Secret Chiefs 3 have a very devoted following of fans who find all their products to be pure gold. This is better than most pastiches of its type, and it's probably better than most of the 'imaginary film soundtracks' out there (a very tired genre by now). It's like a genuine giallo OST with most of the padding and repetition taken out. But just as most Italian horror films are a let-down, this failed to set my hairs on end for the most part. The Morricone collection "Crime and Dissonance" is, in my opinion, a better investment. Or just get a decent Goblin comp.

Page: 1 | 2