Profile for RH > Reviews

Content by RH

RH

BlackBerry PlayBook - Tablet - 16 GB - 7" TFT ( 1024 x 600 ) - rear camera + front camera - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
Offered by Supreme Value

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Device, 22 Aug. 2012
I must admit when the Playbook was first released, it had its short comings but since the introduction of OS 2.0, this tablet suits all my needs. On a trip to Scotland, I had a few hours to kill in the airport, wandered into a shop and started to play about with one on display. I took the plunge and bought it after ten minutes.

After all the bad press, I was extremely surprised by how good a device the Playbook is. With the native email, calendar and contacts apps now built in, I easily keep track of all my personal stuff (Google, Hotmail and personal Website IMAP email) and using Blackberry Bridge I can also get my two work email accounts and calendar on the device BUT am able to keep work and personal stuff separate. What's more, using my work Blackberry, I can connect 3G or HSPA when I'm out the house for full connectivity without having to have a separate account.

The cameras, video recorder and playback work very well, the screen is great and very rich in colour, control gestures are intuitive and work very well. I've also tried the GPS functionality and easily used it to navigate, synced with my iTunes, played movies, a few games and all works well.

Reading a plethora of reviews on a huge variety of tech web sites since buying my Playbook, it never ceases to amaze me the undeserved slating this tablet still gets. It just doesn't deserve a lot of the comments. My only criticisms are there isn't a huge amount of apps although this hasn't prevented me from doing what I want to do with my device and some Android apps are being ported across and these work very well but I do miss not having a Skype app. Blackberry/Skype, if you're reading this PLEASE can we have a Skype app!

Build quality is very good, much better than a lot of Android tablets, there's no plastic anywhere, the back is slightly rubberised and it feels just right in your hand.

When Blackberry 10 OS is released (January 2013) then anyone with this device will be able to upgrade so it's reasonably future proof which is another bonus.

In our house, we have various laptops, iPods, iPod touch, iPad and the Playbook and I can say with all honesty the Playbook more than holds its own against everything else and the price they are selling for now, it's a no brainer if you're after a 7 inch tablet. I can buy 4 playbooks for the price of a single iPad and I suspect the new iPad mini will not be cheap.

Where else can you get a tablet with a fabulous display, 2 cameras, WiFi, Bluetooth, true GPS, accelerometer, native email, good sound (better speakers than our iPad 2) and it fits easily into any bag, briefcase or dare I say a handbag for under £130?
Just make sure you buy the Blackberry convertible case at the same time, the included slip over cover isn't so great in my humble opinion.