Profile for SaraAnn05 > Reviews

Content by SaraAnn05

SaraAnn05

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Unflappable Miss Fairchild (Uncommon Courtships Book 1)
The Unflappable Miss Fairchild (Uncommon Courtships Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 12 Feb. 2017
Enjoyable regency romance, even though at times the dialogue felt a little modern. But nothing that detracted from the story. I enjoyed the twists and turns, although I had suspected the final twist to Chas's story quite early on.

This would have been a 5* review if it hadn't stopped too soon. I especially wanted to see how Chas's mother got on with Anne's Aunts. Without having to read the next book in the series, but this is still the complete romance of Ann and Chas, I just wanted more.

Saving Dancer: Savage Brothers MC
Saving Dancer: Savage Brothers MC

3.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, 8 Feb. 2017
Although I finished this book, I found it hard-going. I didn't really engage with either Carrie or Jacob, as a result I found that the swearing started to grate on me and that I was skipping through the graphic sex scenes to get back to the story. Which was could Jacob conquer his demons? This was one aspect I did like as no-one waved a magic wand and solved everything, Jacob had to work at it.

Baby Twins to Bind Them (Mills & Boon Medical) (Army Docs, Book 1)
Baby Twins to Bind Them (Mills & Boon Medical) (Army Docs, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 8 Feb. 2017
Old-style medical romance, with a few modern touches. A pleasant read, although at one point I did feel like I was being lectured on NHS failings.

Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother Historical Romance Series Book 1)
Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother Historical Romance Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 8 Feb. 2017
At first I thought this was not my kind of thing "magic", but it's such a good story it just draws you in. Marcus and Charlotte's characters are more equal than you often find. He's not too overbearing and she's no simpering miss. And for a genteely bred woman of those times, to find out what men get up to in their absence was eye-popping for Charlotte and very funny for the reader. I did figure out who the villain of the piece was as soon as he was introduced, as well as his motivation. But this was still a five star read for me.

The Poisoned Rose (The Gin Palace Trilogy Book 1)
The Poisoned Rose (The Gin Palace Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rambling story, 12 Jan. 2017
This was a hard book to get into. The back history of the main character Mac is gradually filled as the story progresses, sometimes it feels like coming in half way through the conversation. The Rose of the title is hardly in the first half the book, and the Chief of Police isn't very prominent either.

The synopsis of this story suggests something far more dynamic than is actually delivered. A lot of the time Mac is too drunk or too depressed by events, to see things that are right in front him or to figure out soon enough when he's being manipulated. I worked out Roses' secret quite easily once the relevant character had been introduced.
I can't say I enjoyed this book, and I did start skipping through some of the violent scenes where Mac was either beating someone to a pulp or getting beaten himself. But I was intrigued enough to finish it. But I won't be reading the sequels.

Envious Casca
Envious Casca
by Georgette Heyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Start, 7 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Envious Casca (Paperback)
It took me two or three attempts to get into this book, despite being a Heyer Fan, because the initial introduction to the characters made them all so objectionable, I wouldn't have cared which one of them had been murdered, as I wouldn't have missed their contribution to the story.

Once the murder had taken place, the pace picked up and it became a much more enjoyable reading experience. I figured out the mystery of the locked door quite early on. And was satisfied with the reveal regarding who the actual murderer was.

Italian: Learn Italian: A Guide to Learning the Basics of a New Language
Italian: Learn Italian: A Guide to Learning the Basics of a New Language

2.0 out of 5 stars Not basic enough for a complete beginner, 26 Jun. 2016
As I work with a number of italian people, whose english is a lot better than my (non-existent) italian, I thought this might help me out.

I don't think you could actually learn the language from this book, but I think it would make an excellent supplement, if you were taking a class as well. But I didn't find that it was basic enough for me to really learn from.

The sections have a brief explanation, followed by lists of vocabularly and short phrases. But sometimes the columns don't format properly.

Received from the author in return for an honest review.

When It's Right (M/M Romance) (Mile High Romance Book 1)
When It's Right (M/M Romance) (Mile High Romance Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars sizzling romance, 2 Mar. 2016
A lovely, romantic and thoughtful story. I wasn't sure at the beginning whether I liked the story being told in the first person, with alternate chapters told by the two lead characters, Alex and Shane. But the story flowed really well.
Both of them were sweet guys who deserved to be together. And I enjoyed reading their thoughts and feelings.

This would have been a 5 star review, but I personnally found the intimate moments a little too graphically described and a little at odds with the charming sweetness of the rest of the story.

Classikool 100% Pure Edible Coconut Oil for Cooking / Skin and Hair Moisturiser (1000ml / 1L)
Offered by Classikool® Luxury without expensive packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 24 Feb. 2016
Very reasonably priced, especially as I had read 1000ml as 100ml. Bought for making lip balms and body butters and it's perfect.

Eccentric Lady: A Lacey Summers P I Mystery: Volume 4
Eccentric Lady: A Lacey Summers P I Mystery: Volume 4
by Edna Curry

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 24 Feb. 2016
An entertaining read, with enough twists and turns to keep you going until the end.

I didn't guess who the culprit was, but felt that the ending was a little rushed and not entirely convincing.

But a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. With a scary little insight into how much of our lives can be tracked just sitting at home on the computer, if you know where to look.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10