Profile for Deb > Reviews

Content by Deb

Deb "debmw" (Aylesbury, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline: Volume 9 (WMG Writer's Guides)
by Dean Wesley Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved his ideas - very inspiring. Bit short., 14 May 2016
I love the author's message. I love what he says about writing without an outline, and how to manage that and make it work well. It's really refreshing - so different to what most books say. And it makes me want to write! I write already, but it makes me feel freer and more childlike about the love of creating stories. I think that childlike state is hugely helpful to creativity.
I've read many, many books about writing novels, and this one stands out. I'm in the middle of writing my second novel, which didn't want to be plotted in advance, and I think this will be my bible.
I would give this 4 stars, but it's a bit short for the price in paperback. The book itself ends and then there are some taster chapters from some of his other books.

Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town
Ms Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town
by Mellissa Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant how-to on making vegan cakes, 11 May 2016
Fabulous book. This is the first book which has helped me successfully bake vegan cakes (without eggs). Baking without eggs is harder, or at least different from the process I knew so well. It really explains how it's different when baking without eggs and how you compensate for that. I've made quite a few successful cakes from this book and recommend it highly :)

Hunting Season: The Execution of James Foley, Islamic State, and the Real Story of the Kidnapping Campaign that Started a War
by James Harkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into Syria right now, 11 May 2016
Very interesting for getting a flavour of what Syria is like to travel in as a journalist these days. However, once I'd read half of it I felt there wasn't more to learn. It's a bit dull in places, and I got confused between all the different journalists and other kidnap victims that he writes about.

100 Hits: Disco
100 Hits: Disco

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of 70s hits - love it, 11 May 2016
This review is from: 100 Hits: Disco (Audio CD)
Brings me back to my teens in the 1970s :) Love it. You get loads of well-known hits for your money.

Pulsin' Unflavoured Pea Protein Powder, 1kg
Pulsin' Unflavoured Pea Protein Powder, 1kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great natural product with no additives, 11 May 2016
Great product. I love that it has no additives. This is really helping me eat less meat.

Ladies Soft Striped Chemise / Nightie / Slip - Blue/White - Sizes 8 - 22 (12/14)
Offered by The Tight Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Unflattering and cheap-seeming, 11 May 2016
Very unflattering, so I returned it. Instead of clinging attractively around the bust area it just fell from the top like a tent, but the top part was not too big for me so I think I'd ordered the right size. Disappointing :(

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors
by B A Paris

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible story and pathetic heroine, 11 May 2016
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
I read this for my book group and didn't like it. The heroine is pathetic and I would have tried much harder to get out of her situation, so I was constantly irritated by her lack of courage and the actions of her husband, who is abusive. One thing I will say for it is that it's gripping, but pretty depressing too IMO. I nearly gave up half way through because I found it so distasteful.

Beating Anger: The eight-point plan for coping with rage
Beating Anger: The eight-point plan for coping with rage
by (Anger management expert) Mike Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me already - very useful and well written, 11 May 2016
I'm only a quarter way in and it's already changed how I feel about anger, and helped already. I intend to finish it, though.

Clique- Arkansas Ladies Lightweight Padded Jacket with Detachable Hood, in 5 verdent colour options, Sizes(S-2XL) (L, Royal Blue)
Offered by T Rex Traders

3.0 out of 5 stars I found the detachable hood a bit annoying., 11 May 2016
Lovely jacket, except the inside was more of a yellowy lime than a really lime green. Very big for its size. I found the detachable hood a bit annoying.

Better Left Buried
Better Left Buried
by Emma Haughton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, beautifully written, 11 May 2016
This review is from: Better Left Buried (Paperback)
I loved reading this book. Very engaging, gripping and well written. I have subsequently bought another by the same author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10