Profile for Gemma > Reviews

Content by Gemma

Gemma (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
School Class Register and Mark Book Approx A4 Size - Blue Cover
School Class Register and Mark Book Approx A4 Size - Blue Cover
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 31 Mar. 2013
My colleagues are so jealous of my retro mark book. I've been recommending it to them so it's got to be good.

The Penguin Writer's Manual (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Writer's Manual (Penguin Reference Books)
by Martin Manser

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic little book!, 7 Jan. 2012
I am a bit of a pedant when it comes to writing, which makes this book perfect for me! Whether it's to find out whether I should use 'different to' or 'different from' or to give me a bit of info about abbreviations, this is my 'go to' book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who cares about the words they use!

Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, actually!, 12 Jun. 2010
Does all the things you wished the original Wii Fit did, and with better looking trainers!! ;*)

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly
The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly
by Jean-Dominique Bauby

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, original, 18 Oct. 2007
My partner recommended this book to me and I wasn't really sure to what to expect; but I read the book in around an hour and a half, devouring every description. Afterwards, we discussed the book and he couldn't quite pinpoint what makes it such an excellent book, but I think that it makes you happy to be alive, makes you want to make the most of every day you have. It is so sad that 'Jean-Do' and others experience this feeling of being trapped, but it is admirable that the author presents the condition in the way he does. I enjoyed this book in so many ways as, despite it being quite a short text, you feel that you really know the man by the end.

Sputnik Sweetheart
Sputnik Sweetheart
by Haruki Murakami

4.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Sputnik Sweetheart (Paperback)
Murakami's description does not falter, but I found this book more disjointed than 'Norwegian Wood' or 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'. It is gripping and beautiful and well worth a read, but make 'Norwegian Wood' your first if you've never before read Murakami.

The Holiday [DVD] [2006]
The Holiday [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 3 July 2007
This review is from: The Holiday [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
It's not the worst film I've ever seen (after all, it does have Jude Law in it) but it's not the best either. The comedy is a bit predictable (okay, a lot predictable), and the females' characters two-dimensional.

Worth a watch yet easily forgettable. Which is a shame with such a good cast.

Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Hugh Grant
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 3 July 2007
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed this. Hugh Grant with a mullet-esque 'do is hilarious, and I particularly liked how accurate (and, therefore, cheesy) the 80s video at the beginning and end of the film was. 'Pop Goes My Heart' could easily have been a true 80s hit...

Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore are great characters in this, and the film is really funny. It's a romcom and so, by nature, it's going to be romantic and funny. It lives up to this expectation. If you want something high-brow then this is not the film for you (but you already knew that, based on the cast), but if you want an easy-like-Sunday-morning film then this is it. Enjoy!

How to be Good
How to be Good
by Nick Hornby

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 17 April 2006
This review is from: How to be Good (Paperback)
Having never read any of Hornby's work, I found How to Be Good refreshing. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and read it in two days. I thought the way he wrote from the female viewpoint was impressive, and the plot was original. The only thing that stopped me giving it a 5* was the last page, but I'm sure it's meant to be thought-provoking, so I'll have to give my brain a chance with that as I only just put the book down.

I would definitely recommend it, and am now on a mission to read more Hornby (that I haven't already seen on film!).

Invisible Man (Essential Penguin)
Invisible Man (Essential Penguin)
by Ralph Ellison

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best book I read for my English degree..., 26 Jun. 2005
I'm not going to bore you with what the book's about as the other reviewers have explained a little about the book. I started the book hating it, and it does begin in a graphic manner to say the least. However, I had to persevere with the book for my exams, and I'm glad I did! It opened my eyes to issues of race in, I felt, a realistic and sometimes horrific way. It's not an easy book, but it's worth grappling with. It's one of the few books I'd like to read again despite its length!

His 'n' Hers
His 'n' Hers
by Mike Gayle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 24 Jun. 2005
This review is from: His 'n' Hers (Paperback)
I've read Mike Gayle's other books, but didn't enjoy this one as much. I was let down by a few spelling/grammar errors - sorry to be pedantic, but even Mike Gayle's name is spelt wrong on the second page!
I thought the book itself was okay, but highly predictable, and it does plod along, as another reviewer also pointed out. I was a bit disappointed as this is the first book I've had chance to read for pleasure since the beginning of my English degree, but I can't help but think this may be due to my higher expectations now than pre-degree. However, it is an easy read, and the story is pleasant. Just don't expect too much...

Page: 1 | 2