Profile for Fiona Ventura > Reviews

Content by Fiona Ventura

Fiona Ventura (Stotfold, Hitchin, Hertfordshire. United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Bill Brilliant G92891/13 Plug-in Spotlight Chrome / White
Bill Brilliant G92891/13 Plug-in Spotlight Chrome / White

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you have any idea ..., 10 Dec. 2013
... how difficult it is to find a light that plugs directly into a mains socket ?! In fact, this was only one of two that I could find on the whole UK web and it is by far the nicer looking.

The rotary control (that incorporates an on/off mechanism for the light so it can remain switched on at the wall the whole time) is simple to use and the dimmable light emitted is perfectly warm and decent - and bright if turned all the way. I happen to have a socket on the wall just above my son's desk and this is absolutely ideal as it avoids a personal dislike of mine - trailing wires.

Yes, it is a shame that it is a French-style two-prong fitting (please be aware) but that is a small price to pay and, after all, one's choices are somewhat limited ...

TW331 Dual Kitchen Timer with Clock & LED Alert - Black
TW331 Dual Kitchen Timer with Clock & LED Alert - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars It is so ..., 10 Dec. 2013
... simple and intuitive to use, the display is clear, the sound settings are more than adequate, the unit itself is not unattractive and it does exactly what is required of it - what more is there ...?

FV

Cole & Mason Precision Grind Forest Capstan Pepper Mill - Stained Beech Wood/Walnut, 31.5 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars A super ..., 10 Dec. 2013
... pepper mill: good to look at, nice to hold and extremely proficient at grinding pepper - what more is there ...?

Levv 3-Tier Glass Corner Shelving Unit, Clear
Levv 3-Tier Glass Corner Shelving Unit, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars I was ..., 10 Dec. 2013
... very pleasantly surprised with this item. Having got my tool box out of the cupboard and at the ready I discovered that I did not require a single implement ! The whole unit fits together using a few twist-in bolts. What's more, the parts were packed in the box (at least the one I had) so that each piece comes out in the correct order for assembly - GREAT idea.

The instructions are clear and simple (and not really necessary, frankly), although the only thing I got wrong was putting one of the four feet in the incorrect place because I had not realised that one of them is slightly shorter and goes in the middle at the front - it will make sense when you see it.

All in all, a very decent product at an extremely reasonable price. Long may it continue ...

OPINEL Bread Knife 116
OPINEL Bread Knife 116
Offered by Ballina Angling Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Who would have thought ..., 6 Dec. 2013
... that something so simple could bring so much satisfaction ? I have been making my own bread for a while now and, before I purchased this item, I have always simply struggled along with generic bread knives - the sort that come as part of a kitchen set.

And when I say "struggled", I mean I was unable to cut thin slices or any uniform slices whatsoever. And yet I accepted my lot without question. What a wally. One day I suddenly thought, "There has got to be a better way"; I searched 'bread knife' on Amazon and I came across this little beauty.

Oh boy. It might not be the cheapest bread knife one can get but it is worth EVERY single penny: this work of art has transformed my daily sandwiches ! Slicing through any kind of bread is now EFFORTLESS. I can cut wonderfully thin, uniform slices and, consequently, this item will go down as an absolute must-have in my kitchen.

I just can't believe I hadn't thought of it sooner ...

Good Ideas Gas Energy Saver (652 x 2) Save energy and money cooking. Set of 2
Good Ideas Gas Energy Saver (652 x 2) Save energy and money cooking. Set of 2

1.0 out of 5 stars I used this item ..., 26 Oct. 2013
... once and then I threw it straight in the bin. The reason? I have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in the kitchen and it started screaming at me within thirty seconds of the gas being lit under this device. I would recommend anyone who does use it to try his/her own alarm ... and then STOP !

Tomtom Easy Reach Windscreen Mount
Tomtom Easy Reach Windscreen Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars At the time of writing ..., 2 Sept. 2013
... this product cost less than £13 on Amazon and that is a tremendous price if one compares it with the TomTom website.

The item itself is solidly made and comes with three different attachments that slot into the back of your unit and clip (and unclip) easily onto the arm's connector. The arm sticks well to the window with a simple twist mechanism; it is nicely bendy (requiring firm pressure) and the end connector part rotates as well. If you have a lot of dashboard then the arm is not long enough to reach from the bottom of the windscreen to a sensible distance for the operator but the further up the screen you go, the easier it becomes. For me, I dislike having anything that obscures my vision and I much prefer attaching it to the small, triangular piece of glass on the side (but not all cars have that). The arm is a perfect size for this and allows the bottom of the connector to rest on the dash which makes clipping and unclipping your unit much easier.

According to the instructions, the three attachments make the arm compatible with the Start, One, XL, XXL, Via and GO models.

I hope this review helps ...

FV

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships
by Christopher Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not the sort of person ..., 20 Aug. 2013
... who makes a habit of indulging in the type of review upon which I am about to embark. But there comes a point - at least one - in everyone's life where some of the personal tenets by which one has hitherto existed are obliged to take second place to a stronger force. And that stronger force is reverence. For the first time in my life. A reverence of such utter clarity and profundity that I fair wept at the words contained within this book's pages.

I will try not to overstate things. I realise that the authors must be accustomed to correspondence of this type and I detest sycophancy (although please let me assure you that nothing I say should be regarded as being anywhere near to such). But I must congratulate them; they need congratulating - that is not meant to sound patronising; they DESERVE congratulations. The wisdom, intelligence and downright common sense behind their writing shine through every page. They might be humble and 'scientific' enough not to state blindly that everything they say is correct but I am not subject to the same barriers and I can tell you that it ALL makes perfect sense and IS correct.

And above all, they have been true to Nature. We, as a species, are becoming more and more divorced from the rawness - the beauty - of Nature. And we are suffering tremendously as a result. And increasingly so. It was Jung who wrote, “Too much of the animal distorts the civilised man; too much civilisation makes sick animals.” Perfectly put. How true. And that is what we are becoming: sick animals. “Naturam expellas furca, tamen usque recurret” – a principle with which I KNOW the authors would heartily concur.

Their book has given me hope. Although I have ALWAYS had great belief in my own normality (i.e. I am the standard by which all others must be judged - if I feel/think a certain way about various issues then I KNOW that most of the heterosexual female population feels/thinks the same) and an enormous inner strength in the face of hypocrisy, disingenuousness and complete stupidity, it is so very comforting to realise that EVERYTHING I have naturally and instinctively felt and KNOWN TO BE TRUE about human sexuality (male AND female) could never be merely a figment of my warped imagination !

I have been told by friends that I should start a sect. They mean it tongue-in-cheek and also with a fair degree of derogatory undercurrent but they have a point. For many years now I have been trying to tell those around me a lot of what I have always naturally known about sex, much of which I have found within the pages of this book. I have met with resistance – verbal and physical – because of my outlook on life when it comes to sex; I have been insulted, shunned and ostracised because I refuse to – I AM UNABLE TO – conform to the “standard narrative”.

I feel it is my DUTY to try to educate and inform those around me about the TRUTH concerning our sexual desires. I tell them sex is the greatest gift that we have been given as a species (yes, even greater than the gift of speech or heightened intelligence, in my opinion) and that we should be true to ourselves. I tell them how when I’m thirsty, I drink; when I’m hungry, I eat; and yet when I want to make love I am obliged to consult social mores or religious teachings before deciding what I am allowed to do ! I tell them that if they feel shackled by religious beliefs they are blind ! After all, I ask them, who do you think made you ? Do you accept the way they made you ? If you have faith, why do you not have faith in the way they made you ? What greater respect and worship could you be giving your creator than by BEING TRUE to the way he/she/it made you and GIVING VENT TO YOUR NORMAL, NATURAL SELF ?! (I don’t include people with clearly “abnormal” (by any right-thinking person's definition) proclivities, of course – I refer to the HUGE MAJORITY, those who believe we should try to make people happy throughout our lives and not force our sick will on others.)

I don’t know why or how I know the things that I do – things that nearly all of those people who live to be 100 would never have the insight, liberation or courage to admit; things that I have yet to find properly echoed by anyone around me – but I have never doubted them. And now I have something I can point to in support of my ideas, thoughts and feelings: the writers and their immensely wonderful book. I thank them. From the bottom of my soul.

And yet, it is almost a double-edged sword ! Although I was filled with “At last” feelings and a sense of relief that I am not a lone, honest voice in the sexual wilderness I also felt a strange – I can’t adequately describe it – yearning, a huge frustration that EVERYONE wasn’t reading what I was reading ! I had almost a sense of anger that those nearest and dearest to me hadn’t read it also and couldn’t share my passion. At last this book would give form to all that I had been trying to instil in them for so long – as well as so much more besides, of course – and yet they didn’t know it ! I want them ALL to know. And NOW ! Never before had I felt such a sense of intense urgency ! And I felt so powerless. So impotent. But then, I guess, as my husband tells me, that is how a lot of men are becoming: weak, sterile, powerless and impotent. And a lot of that is down to the topics they discuss in this book.

In fact, this book should be required reading in every school in the country ! Now THAT really would set the gibbon amongst the bonobos, wouldn’t it ? I have always said that the GREATEST education we can give our children is that of being comfortable, shame- and guilt- free and NATURAL with their bodies. Of course, in this sick world I would more readily be labelled as a paedophile than as a great teacher. Alas, there is none so blind as those who will not see …

With people like these authors around there is still hope for mankind. I firmly believe that optimism, openness, cooperation and TRUTH are the key. The writers have helped to sow a seed that I pray will grow, regardless of those who will try to destroy it. Maybe one day the truth will finally hit home and we can indeed return to a more sexually open and honest way of life and of living. I will continue to do my bit. They have most certainly done theirs. “Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi sed saepe cadendo.”

My most heartfelt felicitations and respect to them both ...

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 8:46 PM BST

Why Britain Hates Men: Exposing Feminism
Why Britain Hates Men: Exposing Feminism
by Swayne O'Pie

5.0 out of 5 stars I admit ..., 29 July 2013
... that I purchased this book primarily for my husband because, for many years now, he has been lamenting the situation in this country concerning the way men are treated and portrayed, especially in the media. I never really thought too much about it (one doesn't, really, does one ?) even though I respected his views and could see - to an extent - what he meant.

After having had three girls I had a son a few years ago and, as he has grown, I have started to see things differently. And so after my husband read this book (and I had to endure cries of "Yes !", "At last !", "It's SO true !" and the like) I felt I owed it to him ... and to my son ... and to myself to read what all the fuss has been about.

Apparently I am "betraying my sex" by writing this review. This book is EXTRAORDINARY. The author has laid out - very clearly and in an easy-to-read format - EVERYTHING one could ever want to know about feminism. The chapters on domestic violence and rape were particularly illuminating and I can see just how successfully we have ALL been brainwashed. The writer uses quotes from a considerable number of other authors and academics and it is apparent that much work has gone into this publication.

Could I find myself disagreeing with what he writes ? Well, quite simply, no. I tried so very hard to remain objective and, although I imagined that my gender would interfere with this aim, I discovered that it made no difference whatsoever and I found it virtually impossible to argue - to any logical degree - with what I read, to any extent that could render the author's points invalid. I truly don't think it can be done.

And then, yesterday, (and what prompted me to write this review), I had a (lesbian) friend round to visit and she saw the book next to the bed. When I asked her if she wanted to borrow it she replied, "No, I would burn it." Shocking. Upsetting and disappointing. On questioning her further she explained that she had not heard of the book, knew nothing about it and responded solely on the basis of what was written on the cover. (She hadn't even read the more emotive back page.) And it was then that the author's point really hit home - especially his chapter on lesbian feminism - and I realised that this is a book that NEEDED TO BE WRITTEN and, completely and utterly, NEEDS TO BE READ. In fact, and I know it could never happen (and I know that with even more certainty after reading how feminist teachings have infiltrated the very heart of our education system), this book should be required reading in every school in the country.

You see, I know now that my husband has been right all along. The pendulum has swung far too far in Britain (and elsewhere) and I despair for the future of my son (and my daughters also, but less so). Men are becoming weak, sterile and impotent and much of that is down to how the last thirty years of Ideological Feminism (and the author explains the difference between that and Equality Feminism - with which he has NO issue - very clearly) have eaten away at masculinity. We are slowly eroding what it means to be a (proper) man. "Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi sed saepe cadendo."

And how hugely sad that is ...

FV

P.S. Right, I KNOW that the ONLY people who will disagree with this review will be feminists and weak, brainwashed males both of which groups need to take very long, hard and honest looks inside their own souls. You are directly and indirectly responsible for an awful lot of society's ills. You can insult me and click on "No" as much as you want - it won't change my views and it won't 'unpublish' this book.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2016 11:07 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether you like it or not ..., 10 Jun. 2013
... this product WORKS ! Yes, it is ridiculously expensive and I think it's disgraceful that Apple have upgraded a product and didn't include a suitable adaptor in the box - yet again abusing their buying public.

This item charges and allows full audio throughput (with no reduction in sound quality) so one can use the new iPhone/iPod 5 with the older-style docking sound systems. Furthermore, remote controls for the docks operate the devices attached to this connector without any trouble.

Take it from someone who has tried three different gadgets in an attempt to replace Apple's own connector - NOTHING works to the same degree as Apple's product. It really pains me to say that as I had avoided buying anything with Apple on it for many years because I disagree with the monopoly they hold and the way they manipulate their consumers but, quite simply - and probably BECAUSE of both the points I have just made - nothing can beat the way Apple's own products communicate and function with one another ...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9