Profile for justtryingtobehelpful > Reviews

Through the Narrow Gate: A Nun's Story: A Memoir of Convent Life
Through the Narrow Gate: A Nun's Story: A Memoir of Convent Life
by Karen Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 2 May 2011
What elevates this book from prurient, misery memoirs is the fact that Karen Armstrong never once delves into self-pity. It is an extraordinary account. She writes beautifully - it reads like a novel.

On the strength of this book I bought the Spiral Staircase which is the better of the two follow-up books on her life once she'd started back into the world as a secular.

Sites of Antiquity: From Ancient Egypt to the Fall of Rome, 50 Sites That Explain the Classical World (Blue Guides)
by Charles Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly accessible, 11 Jan. 2010
I confess to be a bit of a history dunce and ruins don't really do that much for me ... HOWEVER, when I read this book several scales fell from my eyes and I found myself galloping through the text even and retaining some of the info. Charles Freeman's style is incredibly readable. It's also a truly beautiful book - glorious pictures, photographs, explanatory diagrams. I'm now on my way to Turkey ... in my armchair of course.

Menopause: The Guide for Real Women
Menopause: The Guide for Real Women
by Caroline Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, 4 Aug. 2009
Caroline explains ... with anecdotes and stories from people of varying ages and circumstances ... what to expect and how not to feel overwhelmed by the menopause. There are useful contact details throughout the book and at the back too.

Get reading if you're feeling a flush coming on ...

World Heritage Great Britain & Ireland: An Illustrated Guide to the 27 World Heritage Sites in the British Isles
by Victoria Huxley

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely guide, 27 May 2009
This is a really nicely produced guide to all the Heritage Sites in Britain. I didn't really think I needed a guide to the Jurassic coastline but actually it's really interesting. Just the right amount of information, nice pics and it also helpfully gives you suggestions for places to stay nearby. Got some interesting places that I didn't know too - like Saltaire. Just right for the glovebox.