Profile for Jood > Reviews

Content by Jood
Top Reviewer Ranking: 610

Jood (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
prorelax TENS + EMS Super Duo Machine (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)
prorelax TENS + EMS Super Duo Machine (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good - instructions could be better, 28 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a constant pain in the neck, and yes, I know what you're all thinking, but obvious jokes aside, it is, at times, so severe it prevents me from driving as I cannot turn my head. With that in mind I welcomed the opportunity to try this little gadget as an alternative to painkillers.

First things first: in the box you will find the actual Prorelax machine, two leads each with two ends for attaching the sticky electrode pads, four of which are supplied, a drawstring storage bag and 3 AAA batteries. There is also a user manual which is one of the most confusing things I have read for quite some time; it took two of us a good half hour of frustration before we got it working and that was down to just messing about with it until it burst into life. The problem with that was we didn't know how we'd achieved it, so had to go through it all again.

Having got it working I tried it on TENS, programme 3 for 5 minutes, increasing the intensity from 1 to 4. I can only describe it as a quite pleasant pins and needles massage. I have since used it three or four times and notice a slight improvement. Perhaps I need to change the programme or increase the intensity for better results.

I wouldn't dismiss this as ineffective; I think it's worth trying different combinations over the next few weeks to see if it really does help.

Berydale Women's Bd320 Boy Short, Grey, 40 (Manufacturer Size: Large) pack of 2
Berydale Women's Bd320 Boy Short, Grey, 40 (Manufacturer Size: Large) pack of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 28 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are very well made from soft cotton with a small amount of elastane to give a snug, comfortable fit. The wide waistband is comfortable and doesn't dig in, and the care instructions, instead of the usual label, are printed onto the fabric.

I was sent a pack of Large which is fine for me as I'm usually a UK size 14; they fit well, feel soft against the skin with no bulky seams or scratchy labels. They're slightly thicker than my usual M&S knickers, so feel just a little bulky under my jeans.

My only quibble is the fit at the back; the cut is slightly shorter than at the front, so the fit isn't quite as shown in the photo. Mind you, I'm a few years older, and a few pounds heavier than the model, so am prepared to accept that I have slightly more area to cover.

Good value for good quality.

Rimmel London Brow This Way Fibre Pencil, 1.1 g, Medium
Rimmel London Brow This Way Fibre Pencil, 1.1 g, Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 22 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My eyebrows aren't the best feature on my face, but with the current fad for “celebrity eyebrows” I thought I'd give this a go.

The tip is nicely sharpened and has a protective cap – like a pen top. However, I'm not so sure that very sharp tip is necessarily a good thing as, on application, it tends to crumble leaving little bits of the crayon stuck in the brows. As for colour, it looks brown, but it's actually more of a chestnut colour which is totally wrong for me.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I think the retail price is, dare I say, eye-brow raising, even for Rimmel which is usually the cheaper end for cosmetics. I think I'll leave mine as they are.

The Second Sister
The Second Sister
by Claire Kendal

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, slow, 19 May 2017
This review is from: The Second Sister (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has not even passed my one third test; this is the point at which I give up if a book hasn't grabbed me by then. I'm not saying it's the worst book I've ever attempted, but it's so sloooow.

Miranda and Melanie (Ella) Brooke were the closest of sisters, until Miranda mysteriously disappeared, leaving behind her baby son, Luke. Ten years later Ella is more determined than ever to find out what happened to her; she has also made a promise to Luke, to try again to find her.

The use of second-person as Ella narrates the story to Miranda is beyond irritating. The characters I've met so far are either unpleasant (Sadie) or just plain boring (Ted); conversation is stilted, flat, and unnatural. By the way I've only got as far as page 63 and this is a few pages short of 500! This will give you an idea of how I've grappled with it. I will grapple no more, I have neither the interest or patience to continue.

This is the author's second book – I read the first – The Book of You - which I did manage to finish but found it only just okay. You've probably gathered that I cannot recommend this and will not read any this author produces in the future.

Blood Sisters: The next addictive thriller from the bestselling author of My Husband's Wife
by Jane Corry

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 18 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Alison and Kitty are sisters; the only thing they have in common is their intense dislike of each other. Alison is an art teacher who is accepted for a new job teaching art in a prison. She is a self harmer, cutting herself with pieces of glass retrieved from her stained glass classes.

Kitty lives in a residential care home. Unable to speak or walk she expresses herself with grunts and various other noises.

I've tried to get on with book, I really have but I just cannot get into it. I found it depressing and claustrophobic so gave up about a quarter of the way in.

The Night Visitor
The Night Visitor
by Lucy Atkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Beetle mania, 18 May 2017
This review is from: The Night Visitor (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The two main characters of this novel are Olivia Sweetman and Vivian Tester. A third character is the lowly dung beetle. Yes, you read that correctly.

Professor Olivia Sweetman is a historian, teacher, writer, popular and plausible to all who know her. She's well dressed, attractive, mother to three children and wife to David, a writer whose star is fading as he struggles to write a follow up to his first successful book. Vivian Tester is a nobody. 60 years old, spinster, bulky, frumpy and altogether the complete opposite of Olivia, she is the housekeeper at Ileford, a strangely ugly country house owned by the Burley family. Their paths cross one rainy day when Olivia visits a small museum in Sussex, and Vivian, working at the museum that day, shows her a diary. It is written by Annabel, a Victorian woman who apparently confesses to murdering her husband and immediately enrols in medical school.

Desperate to write a book about Annabel, Olivia persuades Vivian to become her researcher. Both women are manipulative liars, locking horns frequently and generally being unpleasant to each other most, if not all, of the time.

Vivian has an obsession with beetles – dung beetles in particular – and Olivia has a connection with them as her late father, an Oxford professor, found fame after discovering some hitherto unknown facts about the little creepy crawlies. Now, I'm a fan of living creatures, large and small, furry or feathery, two legs or eight, or anything in between, I don't care, but the frequent references to beetles, dung or not, is a bit over the top and could well have been pared back with little or no effect on the rest of the story.

Occasional clunky, contradictory and childish writing irritated me: weather referred to as “boiling hot” is something I would expect from a child not an adult. Ileford is at once described as ugly, then as stunning. Vivian is described by Olivia, at least twice, as being “on some spectrum somewhere”; this in itself is a nonsensical statement. At times the sequence of events is confusing, as it's difficult to know whether what you're reading is a recollection or something happening in the here and now. As for the twist, it's actually fairly easy to spot quite early on, but then it takes pages and pages and yet more pages, before the author finally reveals all.

The title of the book puzzles me, as the “night visitor” is almost an aside. There are too many holes and unanswered questions, particularly about the Incident in France – did the author forget to connect the dots, or just decide it didn't matter? Certainly she couldn't have cared about the ending as it came to an abrupt full stop. Just like that.

Gallinée Hydrating Face Cream 30 ml
Gallinée Hydrating Face Cream 30 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite effective, but too pricey, 18 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite a small tube of moisturiser, a good size to carry in a handbag, but very unprepossessing in its livery! I would have expected to see it on a market stall type of design!

The content is quite liquid as it almost runs out of the tube, however, when applied it takes on a slightly thicker more oily texture. The initial stickiness is fairly quickly gone and a pleasant smooth feeling skin is left; I felt it protected my skin all day, and as I don't use make up I very much rely on a good moisturiser.

Apparently it is fragrance free; no it isn't. There is an unidentifiable “fragrance” which is really rather unpleasant.

I would not make it my first, second or even third choice, preferring the L'Oreal products such as Age Perfect but I would certainly keep it in my "holiday" emergency cupboard or the bottom of handbag for those "had to rush out" days. I confess to never having heard of this make, and if I were spending this amount of money I think I would choose a big brand; as it is I would not expect to pay much more than a fiver.

Celery Salt, Premium Quality, Free P&P to the UK (450g)
Celery Salt, Premium Quality, Free P&P to the UK (450g)
Offered by SpeedrangeLTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 17 May 2017
Good quality celery salt at much better price than those little supermarket jars.

3M Command Bathroom Hook with Water Resistant Strips - Medium, Satin Nickel
3M Command Bathroom Hook with Water Resistant Strips - Medium, Satin Nickel
Offered by Cheapest Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 17 May 2017
I love these Command hooks and have become quite addicted to attaching them to many surfaces around the house. This one is a smart, sleek modern looking hook.

Be aware, though, that the instructions can be a tad confusing, especially as the instructions to remove the red strip actually applies to a BLUE strip. Once you've worked that out - and because I've used them before I realised the error - they are quite easy t install. Make sure you clean the surface, and don't use the hook for the specified time - usually an hour.

Removal, if necessary, is really easy, and you do get a spare adhesive strip if you need to put it somewhere else.

Sterling Silver stud earrings expertly made with sparkling Diamond White crystal from SWAROVSKI® for Women. Luxury box.
Offered by pewterhooter

5.0 out of 5 stars Dainty sparkle, 17 May 2017
These are so much prettier than I thought they would be. They are so clear and sparkly but not ostentatious at all. The size is perfect - I don't like big clunky earrings.

The presentation box is perfect.

For this price they are unbelievable value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20