Profile for maggie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Big Snow
The Big Snow

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Big Snow (Kindle Edition)
After reading The Truth Commissioner, I was hugely excited to pick up another of David Park's books and was hugely disappointed. Hopefully this was an aberration. On the basis of The Truth Commissioner I'm willing to give him another try.

Mao's Last Dancer
Mao's Last Dancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing autobiography, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mao's Last Dancer (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book which gave a very sobering insight of life under Chairman Mao's regime. It tells the story of a young boy who, through sheer courage, guts and determination, went on to become a world famous ballerina.

Beautifully written, a real page turner. Read and enjoy!!

The Expats
The Expats

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
Turmed out to be a good story in the end and certainly worth 20p BUT did he have to use such long sentences!! More concise writing would have made for a better read but he does tell a good tale.

The Secret Keeper
The Secret Keeper

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Secret Keeper (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I enjoyed this book I felt it lost pace having got off to a really good start. It does however make for a most enjoyable read with a neat twist at the end.

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 24 Jan. 2013
Didn't know what to expect as this was chosen by our book club but I loved it from the first page. Miller writes eloquently and beautifully and I was disappointed when it came to an end. If you enjoy a good, well written tale this is for you.

Restless
Restless

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing thriller, 11 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Restless (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.Boyd takes the reader effortlessly through two points in time (the present, 1976, and the past, wartime in 1939-41) as the story unfolds. In the vein of Le Carre,its for the reader who enjoys a good spy thriller. Sorry its finished.

The Secrets Between Us
The Secrets Between Us

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 31 July 2012
For anyone who enjoys a good thriller, this is for you. Fast paced, a real page turner. New author for me but I'll certainly read more!

The Misremembered Man
The Misremembered Man

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 3 July 2012
So enjoyed this book.McKenna handles a very difficult subject superbly.Beautifully written, you can hear the Irish brogue, and she makes you laugh and cry in equal measure. It was with reluctance I put it down, joy when I picked it up again and dismay when I finished it.You can't believe the atrocities carried out and even more so when it was administered by people of the cloth. I shall recommend for our book club and wait in anticipation for her to write another superb book. Despite a harrowing tale I loved it.

The Gift of Rain
The Gift of Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut novel, 6 May 2012
This review is from: The Gift of Rain (Kindle Edition)
I won't repeat what others have already said except to add to their praise. I really enjoyed this book and would go so far as to say it has entered the realms of my favourite books.Would thoroughly recommend.

A Cupboard Full of Coats
A Cupboard Full of Coats

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb first novel, 6 May 2012
Happened upon Yvvette Edwards' by chance and glad I did. She handles a tricky subject beautifully and writes a good tale. I look forward to her next book.

Page: 1 | 2