Profile for Ali > Reviews

Content by Ali

Ali (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Merrell Siren Sport Gore-Tex®, Women's Trekking and Hiking Shoes, J544892, Black, 5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Siren Sport, 18 Jun. 2014
This is my fourth pair of these shoes in two years. I'm the type of person who will happily buy the same pair of shoes again and again if they are just right. And these are.

I walk a lot so I tend to wear down the soles and cushioning very quickly but even when I'm at that stage the outer and linings are almost as good as new.

I've never had an issue with the waterproofing failing and the quality and comfort has always been excellent. I do agree with some other reviewers that they are sized slightly small but the 5UK fit my 4.5UK feet perfectly.

Well worth paying the extra.

Dame Dragonfly Print Scarf in Navy
Dame Dragonfly Print Scarf in Navy
Offered by London Accessories Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely scarf, 5 Jun. 2014
This scarf is nice and soft, very warm and washes nicely. As with all scarfs like this, it snags easily on Velcro but you should have no trouble if you take care.

Evo-Stik Leather Adhesive 20ml EVOCRLA
Evo-Stik Leather Adhesive 20ml EVOCRLA
Offered by Glue Galore

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 5 Jun. 2014
This glue certainly did the job.

However, following the intructions first time round (leave 10 minutes until touch dry) left the glue to dry to actually stick sufficiently. Luckily, it was the strap of my boots I was fixing so I could peel it apart and start again.

Second time around, I left it only a couple of minutes before pressing firmly together. Worked perfectly. The strap has stayed put even after wearing a few times.

Even if it pops off again, I have more than enough glue to fix it back up.

Wonder
Wonder
by R.J. Palacio

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonder, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Wonder (Hardcover)
A lot has been said about this book already. Aimed at kids, this book has massive crossover appeal. Auggie just jumps off the page and into your life for the duration of the story, even when other characters are having their turn at narrating. I think that's the book's strongest point; the multiple POVs. And it's not just other kids narrating but adults too, hence the crossover appeal. It's a beautifully simple story that's well told but not black and white: characters make mistakes. It manages to avoid emotional manipulation but still hits the mark when it needs to.

700 Sundays
700 Sundays
by Billy Crystal

4.0 out of 5 stars 700 Sundays, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: 700 Sundays (Paperback)
I'm quite a fan of autobiographies and memoirs, from famous people or otherwise, and I particularly like when the authors try to do something different. Billy Crystal made a point to write about the Sundays he spent with his father, the one day a week where he didn't have to work, which made this an entertaining and quick read. As his father died when he was in his mid-teens, it very much focused on Billy's childhood and his first forays into entertainment. The book was full of memorable characters and had plenty of moments of both laughter and sadness.

This book was a joy to read and being a Billy Crystal fan is not necessary to enjoy it (I personally only really know him from Monsters Inc and The Princess Bride). Recommended.

Before I Met You
Before I Met You
by Lisa Jewell

4.0 out of 5 stars Before I Met You, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Before I Met You (Paperback)
This took me a while to get into but I'm really rather glad I persevered as it turned out to be a book full of wonderful characters and with a great storyline.

After caring for her elderly grandmother for some years, Betty finds herself with a mystery to solve - who is her grandmothers unknown beneficiary and how does her grandmother know someone in London when she had never been herself?

This is the start of a dual storyline set in the early 1990s and the 1920s. The 1920s is one of my favourite eras and to read a book like this set in that time period was marvellous. I also love books with lots of characters and multiple POVs so the jumping time frame suited my reading tastes nicely.

Reading about Betty moving to London struck a chord with me as I myself am about to move from a village to a city and the excitement and nerves are something I can relate to. However, it was the story of Arlette in the 1920s that appealed to me more as I could feel the times changing, the post WWI period, as I was reading. Of the two storylines, I found it the most moving and it had the most interesting characters.

I always feel sorry that Jewell is lumped with the chick-lit authors as her books are so much more than holiday fluff. This is a fine addition to her novels and, like always, I look forward to her next one with just a little hint of impatience.

Ladies Blue Peacock Chiffon Scarf
Ladies Blue Peacock Chiffon Scarf
Offered by Central Chic

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 15 Sept. 2012
This is a very nice looking scarf in the picture but in person it is stunning and much more detailed. This is the second scarf I have bought from this seller (Central Chic) but it will not be the last.

Shutter Island
Shutter Island
by Dennis Lehane

3.0 out of 5 stars Shutter Island, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Shutter Island (Paperback)
I didn't quite hate this novel but I felt nowhere near the love I have for his Kenzie and Gennaro series either. This is my first foray into a stand alone Lehane story and it was a bit of a disappointment. I didn't experience the same suspense I have in his other novels and I found it a bit flat overall.

I do think it started strongly, with the introduction of the characters and the build up of the plot on the island. By the middle though, it lost its way for me with too much island wandering (which reminded me of Jane Eyre in the moors, weirdly) and I found it a tad repetitve. I also thought the ending was far too obvious right from the start. There was some emphasis on codes early on and I couldn't help but theorise and, finally, crack it myself. Maybe I need to get out more but there you go.

I do think that if I hadn't puzzled out the ending then this would have been a better read as it was well written and plotted. By knowing the twist in the take though, a lot was lost.

Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London 3)
Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London 3)
by Ben Aaronovitch

4.0 out of 5 stars Whispers Under Ground, 13 Aug. 2012
This has got to be one of my favourite urban fantasy series' of all time so far. It's not as if a fantasy detective type book has never been done before or a book about other, slightly more fae, inhabitants of London, but Aaronovitch has got this apparently boundless imagination that makes London and its denizens jump off the page for me like no other book has.

I love the idea that there is a population lurking in the underground, it's something I've often thought myself what with unused stations and stretches of tunnel, kind of like London's version of Paris's catacombs. I also like Aaronovitch's characters, how they are flawed but try to do the right thing even when faced with the bureaucracy of working for the police.

It's Aaronovitch's writing that I appreciated a lot in this though. The first two instalments were fabulously over the top and full of action but here, he showed he can rein it in and write a more traditional police procedural, although there is one moment of sheer claustrophobia inducing brilliance.

If I had to pick a few bad points, I'd say that it did sag a little in the middle: a lot was going on but the story wasn't really progressing. I feel like this statement is a good one for the series overall - lots going on but I want more of the bigger picture, of the magic, of Nightingale, of Peter. I suppose, in a way, that there is a parallel of the slow overall plot progression and the slow progression of the cases that Peter (and real life police) is involved with. But I must admit that these are minor niggles and me being picky for the sake of a balanced review, they didn't affect my enjoyment of the novel that much.

Just a brilliant series so far.

The Drowning Man
The Drowning Man
by Michael Robotham

3.0 out of 5 stars The Drowning Man, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Drowning Man (Paperback)
This was an interesting read.

I have a thing for narrators who are unreliable and this definitely falls into that category, with the main characters suffering from transient global amnesia - he can't remember the events that led him to be shot. It's told in first person, a technique that I find adds to the confusion between the story and the thoughts of the main character. Interestingly, although it's a follow on of sorts from The Suspect, this book focused on Detective Vincent Ruiz rather than Joe O'Loughlin. And I liked that switch a lot. While Ruiz was not on my list of favourite characters after The Suspect, I instantly took a liking to his somewhat ornery personality and narration. It felt like he was a much more substantial character, with more to him, than previously.

However, I do feel like the character was let down by a merely okay plot. It was a plot full of twists but, dare I say it, too many of them were included. It was quite hard follow what was happening and who characters were. It was full of tension throughout but I feel the ending was a bit of a damp squib - it was like all of the tension built up just fizzled out.

For its faults, this was still a fairly fast-paced thriller but it just didn't work for me on all levels.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14