Profile for DJSB > Reviews

Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Nail Pliers
Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Nail Pliers

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Cut, 20 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are brilliant nail clippers! They are constructed from quality stainless steel and are nicely weighted, not too heavy or light. They're also really, really sharp so will neatly cut your toe or finger nails with little or no effort. I'm left handed but didn't have any problems using these for left or right hands/feet.

They're well made so I have no fears regarding their longevity, the "hinge" seems well sealed and unlikely to pop or wear loose, and they're so sharp I doubt I'll need them sharpening again either.

An excellent purchase to keep your nails in order.

Sony DSCWX500 Digital Compact High Zoom Travel Camera with 180 Degrees Tiltable LCD Screen (18.2 MP, 30 x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC) - White
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 17 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Put simply, this is a great camera for popping into a bag or pocket and taking with you wherever you go. It has a high quality Zeiss lens, built in wifi and NFC, an excellent movie shooting mode, a variety of camera modes to suit the beginner and those with a bit more experience alike, and probably the thing which impressed me most - a 30x zoom which keeps pictures clear and crisp when used.

I've used the camera in a variety of situations now (my normal camera is a Nikon DSLR), and a variety of different lights, and I've been impressed with everything it has produced.

I tried first in the "intelligent auto" and "superior auto" modes in which the camera does all the work for you. It detects what sort of thing or scene you're taking a picture of and adjusts the settings on the camera automatically. I found in these modes the camera was really accurate capturing what I was trying to take a picture of and all of the images were clear and had good exposure. So if it's a point and shoot camera you're looking for, you should look no further.

Of course the camera allows you to override these auto modes and has the usual aperture priority, shutter priority, landscape, panorama, movie and manual modes - all of which work well, as you'd expect. These allow you to really get to grips with the pictures you're taking once you're familiar with how they work and what you can do with them (presuming you don't already of course).

Battery life is always a concern with a digital camera but the WX500 is excellent on this front. The manual quotes around 400 shots per full charge and I've found that to be pretty accurate though I suspect use of the flash would reduce that longevity somewhat.

When it came to getting pictures off the camera onto my PC this was a doddle and there was no need to download the Sony software for basic transfer of pictures, Windows did it for me, though the Sony software is good and offers more advanced options. I also found the wi-fi connectivity worked well; I was able to transfer photos directly from my camera to my iPad this way, thanks to the Sony app.

As for things I don't like; a big one for me - I miss a proper viewfinder, especially in strong sunlight where I've found the LCD screen here can be a little challenging to see properly. It does tilt around to assist with selfies and the like, but I still found the sun to occasionally be a large issue when taking pictures, even when the brightness on the LCD was at full. For that reason I need to deduct a star from what otherwise is easily a 5 star review.

There are a whole host of others things about this camera that I haven't even touched on in this review. For example there's a "beauty effect" mode which automatically does some of the work Photoshop and the like would do to a portrait picture (smooths skin, widen eyes, brighten teeth - that sort of thing) which seems to work well and keeps pictures looking quite natural. There is also a built in image stabiliser too which reduces blur from camera shake, especially useful when zooming or in low light.

All in all then I think - issues with sunlight aside - this is an excellent camera that would suit everyone, from a point and click person to someone with more understanding of some of the other available modes. It is light enough to carry without noticing, has good battery life, a massive range of modes and on-camera tweaks, and overall takes really great pictures.

AmazonBasics Everyday Fitted Sheet, Double - White
AmazonBasics Everyday Fitted Sheet, Double - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing basic about this...., 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is always a worry getting anything with an own brand or "basic" label but in my experience the Amazon range of "Basics" contains some proper bargains, and I think this sheet is one of them.

It is 100% cotton and it looks and feels expensive. It fits perfectly to my double bed and doesn't have that annoying habit of the corners popping up as some cheaper sheets do.

In use it feels like a much more expensive sheet; lovely and smooth - the perfect word to sum it up would be comfortable! And for such a great price, what more could you want? Excellent!

Nespresso Lattissima Touch Automatic Coffee Machine, Glam Red by De'Longhi
Nespresso Lattissima Touch Automatic Coffee Machine, Glam Red by De'Longhi

5.0 out of 5 stars Drink Up!, 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Put simply this is a brilliant coffee machine!

Firstly, when unboxed the first thing you notice is that not only this a great looking coffee machine which oozes quality as it should for a top of the range device, but also that it doesn't take up too much real estate in terms of kitchen worktop. My kitchen is small so that is a real relief.

Next up after unboxing is a read through the extensive included instructions which explain how to set the machine up for your water conditions, how to fill the various containers (water and milk reservoir), how to use the nespresso pods (there are 16 included to try, of varying tastes) and how to use the touch controls which set this unit apart from the lower models.

In operation I found everything worked really well with little or no setting up from me at first. The aforementioned push button controls really add something to the machine and I was producing stunningly good coffee within minutes with no messing about or fiddling; a definite improvement over some other coffee machines I've had.

Lastly, as well all know and dread cleaning these things is a chore, but the EN550 eases the strain; the milk container is easy to remove, clean and refill, as is the water reservoir even though it's right at the back of the machine.

So that is it - I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this top of the range coffee machine if you like your top quality coffee, hassle free, quickly and dispensed from a well made, stylish machine.

VQ Christie DAB & DAB+ Digital Radio with FM, Bluetooth/NFC, Alarm Clock, Rotating Display & Enamel Fascia - Red
Offered by MTT LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro style, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an attractively styled and most of all effective DAB radio that would look the part in any bedroom, lounge or kitchen.

Once it is plugged in or powered (you can use batteries if you're not near a mains socket) it locks on to DAB stations quickly and without any fuss. I found reception on a par with other DAB equipment I have, so no problems signal-wise. You can also set your favourite stations, once it finds them, as quick recall presets. In terms of the sound it is nice and clear although, probably because of its size, some stations can sound a tiny bit tinny. I also agree with the other reviewers; the minimum volume can seem a bit loud.

I found the bluetooth connectivity of this radio was excellent and I was streaming iPlayer radio and Spotify with ease from my iPhone 6 within minutes. The device also comes with a cable fitted with standard 3.5mm headphone plugs. Using this you can plug any device with a headphone out port into the radio. Again I found this worked well and with no fuss.

Lastly, as I mentioned at the start of this review, the styling of this radio whilst obviously retro is very nicely done. It can sit either vertically or horizontally (the "dial" section rotates to ensure it always faces the right way up) and the workmanship and finish is really high quality; it doesn't feel cheap at all.

All in all this is a great, good looking radio that I recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2015 9:51 AM BST

Philips Lumea Prestige SC2008/11 IPL Hair Removal System for Face, Body and Bikini
Offered by iSolutions (VAT Included)

5.0 out of 5 stars High Price But Hairless, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an expensive item but it works well providing you meet the criteria for its use. So before you considering purchasing ensure you note that Philips Lumea only works effectively on dark blonde, brown and black hairs. As with other light-based treatments, it is not effective on red, dyed, light-blonde or white/grey hair or very dark skin. There is also a list of medical conditions and medications which render this unsuitable for use from page 11 onwards of the user manual, which can be found in PDF format link on the Amazon product page (and also of course on the Philips website).

If you meet the criteria though this is an excellent, pain free system to remove and keep away body hair. The differences between this and the model below are small, and I'm not entirely convinced that this justifies the difference in prices between the two. The main difference (only difference in fact) is the inclusion of a bikini line attachment with this model. So it is up to you, the buyer, to decide whether this is worth the extra over the model below (the SC2006/00). In truth this is my only small gripe with this otherwise excellent device.

The Lumea is sleek and easy to handle, especially because its wireless and providing you use the right setting (the device has several settings as well as attachments, for different areas of the body) you should start to see results, meaningful results anyway, straight away, with future hair growth becoming less apparent after a month to ten weeks or so. We've found that as you use it more, the need for such frequent re-treatments becomes less and less.

To use you basically shave first, then dry your skin. You then mark out any moles, freckles etc with a white pencil to shield them from the device. Then you press the device onto your skin, wait until the light turns green and then press the flash button to start removing hair. We found the battery lasted easily enough for a few applications too, but charging is easy anyway. To do legs it takes about 8 minutes per leg, with the rest of the body taking significantly less time.

The hair removal is obviously much less painful than strips or epilators but you do need to give the device time, and stick to the instructions, if you want to see a more permanent change. As I say, it can take up to 10 weeks, so bear with it, we've found that it's worth it if you can afford it.

Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Steam Generator Iron with One Perfect Temperature - 280 g Steam Boost, 2.5 L, 2400 W, Navy

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge but brilliant iron, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is yet another brilliant, top of the range steam iron from Philips and as such this is a simple review - you should buy without hesitation if this is what you're looking at.

Firstly, the iron heats up really quickly and when it is hot it is extremely good at ironing! The immense amount of steam it produces means it cuts through even the most stubborn of creases, easily eradicating them without needing too much effort or pressure applied. For such a big iron (and its footprint with the base is pretty big as you'd expect) it isn't a heavy device and it is a pleasure, and also very quiet, to use.

The only thing that took some getting used to over a "conventional" iron was the fact that you can't stand it upright - it always has to go on the base or face down on your ironing board which is a bit alarming at first. It doesn't burn anything though, thanks to the clever technology inside.

Stanley 73795 Mixed Tool Set, 210 Pieces - Polished Chrome
Stanley 73795 Mixed Tool Set, 210 Pieces - Polished Chrome
Offered by Clearstone Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit tools for the garage, 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Make no mistake, these are top quality tools that would adorn and enhance anyone's garage. If you want to fix a bike, or tinker with a car, tighten a nut, or screw an erm screw, these are without doubt the tools for you.

They come in a smart and hardy case which is where their problems start really. Instead of being the perfect case or toolbox to go with these almost perfect tools, the items are squeezed so tightly into their respective spaces that you almost need another tool set to prize them out. At least this avoids the annoying jumble sale case-opening effect of spaces which didn't fit the tools properly, but surely there has to be some middle ground here. Another minor gripe is that the tape measure is marked in inches only, fine if you're old skool, less so if, like me, you work only in mm, cm or m.

The tools themselves are quality; you can feel it as soon as you pick them up and they'll cope with anything you try and do with them. The screwdriver heads are particularly well made, thankfully they resist the urge to ruin the head of any screw you try to use with them, as some cheaper alternatives do.

Other than that I can't really find anything else to complain about with the proviso I gave earlier: these are predominantly tools for working with a car, or a bike, or some other sort of machine. This isn't a set of general household tools but then it isn't advertised as so either.

Monster NTune Matte On Ear Headphones - Black
Monster NTune Matte On Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars These beat Beats., 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a self confessed audiophile I was really excited to get hold of these headphones to review.

I've been using these headphones for a couple of weeks now, and I am seriously impressed. I've always found the Beats range of headphones too artificial sounding, almost like they swapped any part of them relating to creation of highs for a hefty wedge of bass reproduction, and if your musical taste doesn't warrant a lot of lows then they spoil the sound - for me anyway (I appreciate musical reproduction is a very personal taste, making reviews like this "interesting"). All of that said, there are no such problems with these NTune 'phones...

They come nicely presented in a smart looking box, replete with cloth carry bag (stylish, but branded) and cable which can be connected to either side of the headphones themselves and which also had a microphone for use with mobile phones. The headphones themselves are light to wear, but not overly so (they don't feel cheap at all) and I found them to be easily adjustable. How much punishment the main band would take before it snapped though would be my only concern build-wise.

The most important aspect of these headphones though, and I'm sure the bit you actually want to know about, is the sound...

I've subjected them now to the wide range of styles that make up my music collection - and they do well every time, providing a balanced, clear and refined sound which suits whichever genre you chuck at them.

EDM sounds exciting and as bassy as you'd want, whilst the delicate, acoustic and orchestral musings of Damien Rice's latest offering are clear, crisp and easy to listen to. Some classical pieces I've played through these sound wide (the soundstage is pleasantly wide, right where you'd want it to be in fact, not too in-your-head) and stirring, and the twang of the indie guitar in the tracks of my favourite bands is very well represented and very aurally engaging.

Lastly, the headphones don't distort at high volumes although I would advise against using them at high volumes in quiet public environments as the sound leakage is fairly substantial.

All in all then, these beat Beats for me hands down, both in terms of balance and price. So if you're not brand-fussy I heartily recommend these headphones, no matter what sort of music you're in to.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2015 11:42 AM BST

Philips HR1832/41 Viva Collection Compact Juicer, 1.5 Litre, 500 Watt - Red
Philips HR1832/41 Viva Collection Compact Juicer, 1.5 Litre, 500 Watt - Red
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, compact juicer., 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I've only a small kitchen it was with some trepidation I got hold of this juicer to review.

I need not have worried though as the first thing I noticed when I'd unboxed it is how smart and tidy it looks - taking up only the space of my kettle on my worktop.

The other thing I was worried about was cleaning but again, this juicer came up trumps - I've juiced all kinds of things now (avoiding the starchy fruits and veg listed clearly in the accompanying admittedly otherwise-useless instruction book) and not had a problem cleaning this juicer thoroughly. Most of the parts are dishwasher safe which is an absolute God-send too.

In operation the juicer isn't noisy at all (another worry I had) and deals with anything I chuck at it providing the larger items are chopped a little. The pulp, which ends up being really condensed and dry, is caught nicely in a dish all to itself, and there are no splashes or drips whilst the juicer is in use.

All in all a really good quality, compact, quiet juicer that is easy to clean and a pleasure to use. Perfect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20