Profile for Possum Pie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zippo Brushed Chrome Lighter Z200
Zippo Brushed Chrome Lighter Z200

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been bettered?, 24 Mar. 2015
Firstly, it has to be said that I've owned my Zippo for well over 10 years and in that time I can honestly say it has never failed to light 1st time in any conditions, unless I have either forgotten to fill it or the flint has ended its useful life. Astonishingly I'm still on the first wick as well. All I have ever had to do in terms of maintenance is give the wheel the ocassional clean. I know I should give up, smoking that is, but now I almost view this lighter as a friend. Others come and go but nothing quite beats that reasuring and timeless dull sort of click when it is closed having done its job yet again. Surely, this is a true design icon?

Bat Box with Landing Perch
Bat Box with Landing Perch
Offered by Garden Selections

1.0 out of 5 stars Q- Would any self respecting bat actually use one? A- NO!, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Bat Box with Landing Perch (Misc.)
I've had a couple of bats whizzing contentedly around my garden (just after dusk) in the summer months for many years, never knowing where they come from or go to. Decided to invest in one of these and followed the instructions to the letter. 4 years have now passed and nothing! I am still visited by bats though. Mind you when it arrived I was bitterly disappointed and immediately thought - what self respecting bat would even consider using one of these. Seems both the bats and me were of like mind. Best advice I can give is to enjoy them if you are luckily enough to be visited by these wonderful creatures and leave them to their own devices, after all they have been doing what they do for millenia. Bit of advice - Don't risk holding your breath whilst waiting for them to move in, and judging by other reviewers comments I'm not alone. Again, like other reviewers have stated it is considered too small and as such probably not fit for purpose? I've since seen bats in TV documentaries and they seem to hang from rafters in roof spaces etc and not in small enclosed spaces. I suspect this may well have been designed by people who apparently know little about these exceptional animals, it's often the case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2016 12:48 PM BST

Apollo 71 Piece Household Tool Kit including Most Reached for Hand Tools - in Storage Box
Offered by Apollo Fulfilment Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping in the car........., 24 Mar. 2015
I always like to keep a toolkit of some sort in my car, or at least that was the idea until I purchased a BMW Mini Cooper! The boot as with the old Mini's is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. This is ideal as when folded shut it is little more than 3" in depth and fits in with plenty of room to spare. The toolkit itself is well stocked and caters for most small jobs. The 3x way spirit level has proved to be particularly useful especially when putting up shelving. The only downside are the hacksaw blades - even on the smallest of jobs the teeth are next to useless and disappear with alarming ease, but that issue was easily solved by purchasing some decent ones. Job done as they say. I've owned mine for about 4 years now and am well pleased, but I did not pay anywhere near the current asking price as it is considered to be a bit top heavy. Mine however is a Rolson but is exactly the same save for the tools being yellow and not red. That said in my particular case it would be a bit of a Hobson's choice anyway!

Aircraft of World War II
Aircraft of World War II
by Chris Chant

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as an introduction......, 23 Mar. 2015
If all you want is an insight in the many varied aircarft that took part in World War II without things getting over complicated then this book is about as good as things get. All participating nations appear to be included. There's a nice concise introduction and each plane or variant gets its own page with a brief but adequate description plus other important information - dimensions, power plant, speed, armament, crew etc......... It is also in alphabetical order by manufacturer. There are a couple of inaccuracies however, but these are forgivable I suppose even though just a little bit of care was all that was needed. As for me I had no idea that so many different planes actually took part in this conflict. Like many others I suppose you only remember the famous ones? Virtually pocket size it is an ideal coffee break read.

The Definitive Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock
The Definitive Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock
by Michael Heatley

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time and effort., 20 Mar. 2015
This is a massive tome and whilst it may well be as titled, or at least it was when published, it clearly suffers due to the fact that references to the bands/groups are far too brief. I suppose given the vast subject covered this was inevitable. Sadly such publications are out of date even before they hit the shops which does not help either. Luckily mine was a gift as it is not the sort of book I would have purchased myself. Had I have shelled out my hard earned cash I would have been bitterly disappointed. It has wasted a few hours of my life but has not been looked at for some considerable time. To date I've even failed even to give it away, believe me I've tried and eBay is a waste of time too due to the postage cost to any would be buyer. Ho-hum.....! The Virgin Encyclopedia of Rock preceded this by several years and is far and away better, but even that is too brief etc. I doubt it is even still in print now though?

77: The Year of Punk and New Wave
77: The Year of Punk and New Wave
by Henrik Bech Poulsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia (Buzzcocks), 20 Mar. 2015
Firstly, I've owned my copy virtually since day of public release and to this day still consider that it is not possible to find a better book on the subject. Supposedly a limited hardback edition? It is staggering thinking about how much work and research must have been involved. Being in alphabetical order it is so easy to find detailed information on the bands of the day. For once it is does simply concentrate on the bands most will recognise. There are many included that made only a small or passing dent in proceedings, but they are worth a mention nonetheless. It's nice and concise too as this review is hopefully going to be. If you lived through this short explosion of back to basics rock like me then this is an absolute must. I was lucky enough to have seen many of these bands live when most seemed to mean it and before the inevitable sell out and drift into the mediocrity that was initial target began.

Unique Men 21cm Dark Brown Leather Bracelet with Stainless Steel Clasp
Unique Men 21cm Dark Brown Leather Bracelet with Stainless Steel Clasp

5.0 out of 5 stars At least the clasp is functional., 19 Mar. 2015
This was a stocking filler present for me from someone I thought knew me well, clearly she did not. I am just not a jewellery sort of person other than a watch but in no way does that detract anything from this bracelet. It seems to be well made and best of all is the clasp mechanism which is both secure and does not easily come undone. It has only been worn once to avoid an argument, but it did receive some favourable comments. I've seen these before and some have magnetic clasps which I assume would be verging on useless, making it easy to lose the bracelet? Finally if you want such jewellery I reckon it is certainly worthy of 5 stars. As for me personally 2 stars.

Rolson 62494 10-in-1 Multi Knife
Rolson 62494 10-in-1 Multi Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually has 11 and not 10 uses as stated., 19 Mar. 2015
I've lost count of the tasks this little knife has been asked to do over years and it is a great keyring as well so in fact it has 11 obvious uses and not 10 as stated. I almost view it as a friend. It would however also have been very useful when opening the packaging it came in too! For the money it is exceptionally good value, Rolson tools usually are. I'd hate to be without it now.

Parasene 550 Auto Ignition Weed Wand weed killer
Parasene 550 Auto Ignition Weed Wand weed killer
Offered by Anything 4 Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cost effective............., 19 Mar. 2015
This brilliantly designed appliance paid for itself in one summer. If you're wondering how and why read on......... No more holes in the knees of my jeans kneeling down and scuffling about on the patio weeding. No more worn out knives vainly scraping between paving slabs. No more extreme agony when accidentally kneeling on a piece of sharp gravel etc. Using this is a breeze and great fun as well. Weeds are vindictive at the best of times, especially dandelions, but using this weed-gun seems to kill the roots off as well so the offenders have not grown back again within a few days which has usually been the case when merely decapitating them. Infinitely better than any liquid weed-killer - I have a cat and this has always worried me. The same applies to wandering hedgehogs etc. The gas cylinders last longer than expected as long as you do not get too carried away (which can be very easy indeed), are easy to obtain and replace. Probably not a recommended use but with a bit of care I've also used it as a blow-torch to repair a small leak in my 'felted' garage roof. HOT TIP (excuse the pun) - As the burner tends to stay hot for a while it's best to dip it in water before storing unless you have a fire-extinguisher to hand.

Henry Squire 660 Old English Steel Case Padlock 64mm
Henry Squire 660 Old English Steel Case Padlock 64mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Never needed to improve the design - says it all., 19 Mar. 2015
Sometimes you just cannot beat the 'old' and 'traditional style/s' and this padlock is a perfect case in point. It is robust and having very few moving parts, especially springs, tumbler pins etc there is virtually nothing to go wrong. Even the shape itself seems to instil confidence - it just looks the part. All it needs is the occasional drink of oil and about once a year a snack of grease. I've used the usual 'modern' style padlocks and they are classed as poor by comparison. Best of all it performs in any weather where others I've owned have had real issues when icy and wet as they seem to be particularly prone to frost. If you've ever broken a key in the barrel trying to open frozen up normal padlocks you'll know what I mean. Another issue I've had with ordinary padlocks is they are prone to rust inside regardless of the body being brass. The best advantage of all is you have to use the key/s all the time as it will not snap shut - no more locking the keys inside the shed, garage etc. It's so simple it's obvious!? I've even got a couple stored away just in case I find something else to secure, not as a replacement for the one in use as I'm not expecting it to let me down. Best of all it's ENGLISH and not...........! Enough said.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20