Profile for KP > Reviews

KP

Tornadoes on the Mother Road
Tornadoes on the Mother Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinosaurs, ghosts and bears! Who knew?!, 9 Oct. 2013
Friendly, jovial prose make this book fun and easy to read. The writing style is informal and is full of humorous anecdotes, detailed descriptions, and factual information about the places the author visits.
Having been put off travel/factual/autobiographical books in the past by information overload and sombre prose this book was a breath of fresh air. It isn't a travel 'guide' per se, but the road trip does take us on an interesting journey to Midwest USA where the author introduces us to the important things such as places to eat/drink/stay as well as the landmarks. With historical and cultural info and precise descriptions of landscapes and weather interspersed with dialogue and anecdotal narrative, this book has rather a story feel, which is probably why I found it so engaging.

A change from my usual genre of choice, I found the book thoroughly entertaining and I genuinely laughed out loud on several occasions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 7:20 PM GMT

Children Of The Dust (Definitions)
Children Of The Dust (Definitions)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still brings a tear to my eye..., 16 Sept. 2013
I first read this book in my teens. I loved it then and I still love it now. It's theme is still relevant and the lack of specifics referring to technology means it doesn't feel dated (references to computers and technology, but nothing which pin points a particular era).True, the time frame in which humans have evolved to survive post-nuclear war seems a little short - but how do we know?!
Ultimately, this book is a great read which makes you think, makes you worry, makes you realise and gives you hope.