Profile for A. Mortimer > Reviews

Rama II (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Rama II (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Sir Arthur C. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Fiction, 15 Aug. 2011
After the masterpiece which is the original Rama, this book absolutely fails to impress. It is clear throughout that ACC did not write this book. He wrote the storyboard then perhaps did a proof-read before publication, but I doubt he had much more involvement than that, despite what is claimed in the prologue.

The characters are uninspiring, and despite the massive amounts of time spent developing them, desperately clichéd. The scene opening chapter 31 where we find out that FS does all this out of some deep-rooted feminist anger, then she uses sex to influence a man who is cheating on his wife is disgustingly uninspired Mills & Boon type material. The sci-fi aspect is awful - there are just huge tranches where I couldn't help wondering if I was really meant to swallow the ease with which an important theme was dismissed or played down. Should we really believe that on a mission like this, the cosmonauts are not vetted much more closely than they are? Should we really believe there would be room for 2 journalists (untrained in any useful skills) on a crew of only 12 for such a mission? Should we really believe that the ship is effectively autonomous from any type of mission control?

To be honest I only got as far as chapter 31 (half way to the full count of 62) before finally throwing it down in a fit of annoyance piqued by the scene mentioned above. It is very rare for me not to finish a book once I've started with it. So I read the plot summary on Wiki instead, at least that bit is probably fairly true to how ACC saw the story developing, with much less of the dross.

Save your time and money, this is rotten.