Profile for S. Vaneeckhout > Reviews

Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM is not what we want, 8 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Spore (Mac/PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
In my opinion we shouldn't award a developer who doesn't trust us in the first place. Paying customers get all kinds of anti copy measures installed on their pc's while the pirated versions are free from DRM.

Green Wing Complete Collection [DVD]
Green Wing Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ unknown

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - Contains a rootkit, 5 May 2008
I'm a very big fan of the show and that's why I bought the collectors' edition.

However, when I inserted the dvd in my computer and looked at the contents of the dvd I noticed that it tries to automatically install a rootkit without any user intervention. This kind of behavior is not even legal.
We as customers are getting punished for buying it while pirates provide it for free without malware.
I won't buy dvd's anymore from Channel4 in the future.

The technical stuff:
The DVD's contain Macrovision ActiveReach RipGuard technology. There are 3 hidden files (autorun.inf, 70Z58O4I.exe, RGASDEV.SYS) that, when installed, stop people from creating a legal backup copy for personal use.
There is no way to uninstall this program therefore it gets labeled as a rootkit:
[...]
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 12:07 AM GMT