Profile for omelette > Reviews

Content by omelette

omelette

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC & Xbox One

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, stupid SMART usage., 20 July 2016
I came ever so close to returning this drive when I first received it. The reason? Well, the first thing I noticed on looking at its SMART readings was that the 'Read-error rate' & 'Seek-error rate' were not at the expected zero level, but were increasing on an almost real-time basis in an alarming way! Asking here on Amazon about this only confused me more - according to those that responded, the drive was faulty, and should be returned.

Turns out that this is normal, if not for Seagate drives in general, at least for this particular model. Seagate use these variables, not as 'number-of-errors', but 'number-of-error-checks-done'. These numbers will 'clock-around' to zero and back up again given a bit of time. Frankly, this is dumb! I've owned at least a dozen drives, and never have I seen something like this before. Why would Seagate risk returns by perturbed customers over something so easily avoided?

Apart from that, the drive has been delivering excellent performance. For a 3.5", this is also surprisingly quiet. Its speed is also excellent. No other negatives in fact. I give it 4 rather than 5-stars solely because of the SMART thing.

RELPER 3 PCS 46CM 90 Degree Right-Angle 6.0 Gbps SATA 3.0 Cable - 18 Inches
RELPER 3 PCS 46CM 90 Degree Right-Angle 6.0 Gbps SATA 3.0 Cable - 18 Inches
Offered by RELPER Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., 18 July 2016
Seem ok. Still in their bag as I didn't need them after all.

Integral P 120 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive (4 SSD, SATA III Drive) - Black
Integral P 120 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive (4 SSD, SATA III Drive) - Black
Offered by MyMemory

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money., 18 July 2016
I must admit I could not come close to the read & write times people are quoting here - I got about 300MB/s read, and about half that, write. But hey, it's only £25, which was about one-fifth what I payed for the 7 year-old SSD OCZ drive that it was replacing - which incidentally, is also at least 3 times slower than the Integral SSD! So yeah, good value, even if the performance figures quoted weren't reproducable on my brand new motherboard.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2016 12:39 AM BST

QUMOX 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 PC-12800 (240 PIN) DIMM MEMORY Module XMP CL9
QUMOX 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 PC-12800 (240 PIN) DIMM MEMORY Module XMP CL9
Offered by Sunwood-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough (CL=11, NOT 9)., 18 July 2016
I specifically chose this RAM as it quoted a lower CL (latency) figure than most of the others - that figure is 9. However, the software I have check it with quote a CL of 11 from this RAM, so maybe a little fibbing is in play here! Nevertheless, it works, so can't really complain all that much

Mod AMD ASRock AM1H-ITX Motherboard
Mod AMD ASRock AM1H-ITX Motherboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocky start, but got there eventually..., 18 July 2016
I had a bumpy start with this. The board I received worked fine, until I would do a 'hard' power-off. It then would not power on again until I disconnected the power adapter. When I finally concluded that the firmware was up to date, so unlikely to be the problem, I returned it to Amazon for a replacement - which duly arrived and is working perfectly!

Other than that, I do not have much to add. This is my first UEFI motherboard, and despite the flashy graphics, I must admit at being a little dissappointed with the limited configurability options - I was expecting more! That said, I was much relieved to find that I could just plug my existing SSD's in & go! I thought the much talked about UEFI problems would have me reformatting/reinstalling drives etc. but no such problems.

So, five-stars to Amazon and their Customer Service, one or two less for the motherboard itself.

AMD APU Athlon 5350 Quad Core Processor (Socket AM1, 2.05GHz, 2MB, 25W, AMD Radeon 3, AD5350JAHMBOX, Advanced Vector Extensions, Virtualization Technology)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice processor., 18 July 2016
Used this to upgrade my 7 year old Zotac HTPC, coupled with a AM1H-ITX motherboard. Despite being 3-4 times faster than my old Intel ProDuo-based laptop at encoding x265 video, which itself was at least twice as fast as the integrated Intel quad-core Atom of the Zotac motherboard, Windoze only gives it a 4.9 rating - just marginally higher than it rated the Zotac! According to PC-Mark, the integrated graphics of the 5350 are between 3-5 times faster than that of the onboard Nvidia graphics of the Zotac - hence my scepticism.

The one thing I'm unhappy about is the thermal readings. I don't know if this is down to the mobo or the 5350, but the readings are often times nonsensical. With an ambient temperature of 18-20degC, I often get readings of 1-5degC!!! Put the CPU under load and the temperature shoots up, maxing out at around 48degC. But within a few seconds of going from Max to min load, the temperature reading will plummet by 20-30degC - the real world doesn't operate like this! To add to the confusion, the motherboard's own BIOS temperature monitoring seems to measure correctly, it's just the half dozen or so applications available for doing this that seem to have problems!

This in no way seems to affect performanace though. I've had a chequered history with AMD CPU's, this being my third Athlon. The other two had serious temperature-related stability problems, crashes being a normal occurrence. But these were of 2002-2004 vintage, so probably not a concern. Given the insanely high max operating temperature of the 5350 (90degC), coupled with the max (apparent!) temperatures of 48degC that I'm seeing, it should not be a problem.

One other point. Although the 5350 has not much overhead as far as overclocking is concerned, a little latitude does exist, but I have failed miserably to exploit it. When I have tried increasing any of frequencies, even marginally, I am left with OS's that will not even boot - so I'm not sure what is going on there! The old Athlon's could be overclocked nearly to oblivion.

But so far, so good. Seems a perfectly adequate processor for a HTPC, capable of playing 720p x265 (HEVC) videos with only 30-40% CPU load, or 1080p x265 @ 60-70%. The Intel quad-core Atom/Zotac/Nvidia setup would choke & die within a few seconds with 720p videos (never mind 1080p), when trying the same thing. The fact that it will encode them as well, and 3-4 times faster than I'm used to, is an added bonus!

LiteOn EBAU108 8x External DVD-RW with Link2TV - White
LiteOn EBAU108 8x External DVD-RW with Link2TV - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little unit, bit light, but solid enough., 18 July 2016
A very light, but fairly solid unit - not as flimsy as I had imagined. One thing to note is that the USB cable is not permanently attached, as it is in the black version - despite careful perusal of the sales-text at the time of buying, I was reasonably sure there was no difference between white & black models - there is! - so, a bit misleading perhaps... Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with this little DVD-writer. An added bonus was that it would also read my one & only DVD-RAM disk, something none of the others writers I have bought would do.

Incidently, the quoting of some incredible MTBF figure is meaningless when it comes to DVD-writers. I'm on my fourth or fifth writers now, and although all still are mechanically sound, the lasers are all but clapped out on the others. So take that MTBF number with a pinch of salt!

Neo Media 1 X 96 Capacity CD DVD Wallet Leather Storage Carry Case
Neo Media 1 X 96 Capacity CD DVD Wallet Leather Storage Carry Case
Offered by Four Square Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Good CD/DVD protection, good value., 21 May 2016
Build-wise, these are almost identical to a brand sold by Tesco. Main differences being that this one has a 'handle' (for carrying) on the back, a 'leathery' finish (plastic in reality), and a chunky "NEO Media" brand-label proudly displayed. I got it because it was so similar to the Tesco model (which my local branch no longer stocks), two of which I have already filled to the brim. They provide very good protection for CD/DVD's. So yeah, having bought two (near-identical) ones already, I think these are well worth it.

AGPTek A06 8GB Bluetooth MP3 Player 50 Hours Music Playback MP3 Lossless Sound Entry Hi-Fi Music Player(Color Blue)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok hardware, let down by half-baked firmware..., 2 April 2016
I'm just after buying one of these on Ebay. Like many, I got it for its Bluetooth support, which with my Amazon-purchased Mpow headset, works flawlessly. The problem with this player is the firmware - 'fully-featured' is not a label that applies here! What becomes immediately apparent is that this is basically the AGPtek A02 firnware with a bit 'bolted-on' for bluetooth. Specifically, this means that the Bluetooth feature has not been integrated into the main firmware, so that when you enter the Bluetooth menu (to enable it) you find you are 'locked-in' there, unable to leave it to access other features while listening to music via Bluetooth. You are limited to just playing music from here - you cannot fast-forward/reverse through a track, or any of the other stuff that you have access to when using wired headphones. You also cannot stream ogg/aac via Bluetooth which really sucks given my large audio-book collection is almost exclusively composed of these.

Playback time I measured at 38 hours, with the volume-level set to 7 (of 30). It takes a really long time to charge its battery. As I type this, it has been charging for 5 hours, with no end in sight. But it does eventually indicate "charge complete", given enough time. The FM radio sucks! If its really lousy reception wasn't bad enough, it is also a mono-only affair - that's right, no stereo available, that's just not acceptable in 2016. Though it boasts being able to use up to 64gig SD cards, what you find is that the firmware is nowhere near capable of dealing with large mp3 music collections. Two examples, the manual admits that the firmware can only 'see' up to 4,000 tracks, the rest will not be displayed. The 'Playlists' feature is rendered useless where you have a lot of tracks, as you have to scroll through the entire collection (you cannot select a folder, for example), listed alphabetically, in order to make your selections - so you can forget about ever adding tracks starting with letters near the end of the alphabet!

That said, for the money, it probably worth it. It's very light, has great sound, and when coupled with wired headphones, is fairly decent where small music collections are concerned.

High Power 5W 66-SMD 3528 LED E14 Energy Saving Corn Light Bulb Lamp Ac 85v~265v
Offered by awhao

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure garbage., 15 Feb. 2016
I decided to refit the house with almost identical bulbs to these bought on Ebay. As other have discovered, the actual watts consumed is far less than that stated, and this applies across the entire range of these LED bulbs. Ditto for their actual luminousity - they are nowhere near as bright as they are claimed to be. Of far greater concern is that of the 6 bulbs that I bought, three have already blown - so their life-span could probably be measured in weeks! A case of Caveat Emptor. Incidentally, I have one LED bulb that I bought nearly 7 years ago (5050 LED's) that is used for multiple hours daily and is still going strong - so all LED bulbs aren't as crappy as these ones have turned out to be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7