Profile for CHew > Reviews

Content by CHew

CHew

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Make Me: (Jack Reacher 20)
Make Me: (Jack Reacher 20)
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars An underdeveloped idea padded out into a very average book, 11 April 2016
I've read Reacher since the beginning; the books were exciting but above all well written and very cleverly plotted. However, over the years the Reacher books have steadily become a dumbed down parody of themselves; Reacher By Numbers if you like , a curse of their own success driven by a publishers greed and need for a book a year rather than allowing an author time to plot and develop a good story. Reacher books have become an easy cash-cow, Child could fart on a piece of paper and have a guaranteed best seller. Make Me is prefect example of this. As is often the case with a rushed book, Child fills chapter after chapter with description over substance resulting in a book as tedious to read as it probably was to write. I almost abandoned the book several times. The end had the bones of a good idea, but thats all it was. Make Me is an underdeveloped/rushed idea padded out into a very average book. A pity, because we all know how well Child can write and write with the best of them. Let's get back to the quality and integrity of the early books instead of chasing an easy dollar. Or kill Reacher off because these are becoming embarrassing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2016 6:49 PM BST

Appleby Farm - Part Three: Where The Heart Is
Appleby Farm - Part Three: Where The Heart Is

5.0 out of 5 stars Good feel good easy read, 30 Mar. 2016
All four parts of the Appleby Farm series were equally enjoyable. Good feel good easy read.
Don't like to give story lines and plots away, but would suit somebody looking for light reading. Romance
in a country setting with a happy ending! Pure escapism!

The Darkest Day: (Victor the Assassin 5)
The Darkest Day: (Victor the Assassin 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars victor by numbers, 18 July 2015
ive read all the Victor books and loved them all but was bitterly disappointed by this. The story dragged, was overly descriptive to the point of tedious in places and was essentially 'Victor By Numbers' in much the same way that Lee Childs has run out of ideas for the once excellent and clever Jack Reacher series. This was essentially lazy and lacklustre and it genuinely pains me to say that because previous Victor books have been stunning. i wish publishers would let authors release books when they had a story worth telling instead of flogging the Cash Cow and essentially delivering Terminator 3. Come on Tom, you can do better than this, get back to the calibre of the initial books and keep Victor an enigma.

The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 3)
The Last Town (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 20 July 2014
i totally loved the first two books and suffered an agonising wait for book three. i demolished it in two days and loved every word. ive not bed as gried by a ook since i read Run by the same author (recommended!). i particulatly liked the ending.
if you have not read this trilogy i urge you to do so. the first book had me flummoxed until everything was revealed, the second gripped, the third a white knuckle ride.
my only criticism is it ended and now i have nothing to read :)

The Wild Earth
The Wild Earth

4.0 out of 5 stars Very original, thought provoking!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Wild Earth (Kindle Edition)
A first novel that shows great promise from a future author. An original story line that really
gets you thinking. Definitely needs a sequel!

Serial Uncut
Serial Uncut

2.0 out of 5 stars Normally love Crouch - this one not so much!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Serial Uncut (Kindle Edition)
Only read a few chapters despite being warned by the blurb. Just not my cup of tea as too extreme and
unfortunately could imagine the sickos out there getting a real kick from it (in many ways). Did make me question Crouch's
mind and if it was the first book I'd read of his it would be the last, however so far this is the only one I have rated less
than 5 star. Until now would have said he was a favourite author. More stories like this though will knock him off
my reading list.......... and yes I know both authors warn you exactly what's in the tin - but you just don't believe them until
you've cut it open and tasted the contents :-)

Run
Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Crouch does it again creating a book that I can't read quick enough to see what will happen.
Fabulous gripping plot, fast paced, great characters, amazing settings and original. One of the best books I've ever read.
Most of Crouch's books go on this list.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 21 Mar. 2014
Although I wasn't expecting Harry Potter and was really hopeful that this would
show another side to Rowling, I have to say I really didn't like it. It was boring
and took away the excitement of picking up my kindle for a good read. I can clearly see
what the author was trying to achieve with the story line, but i lacked a wow factor.
I abandoned it half way through as life is too short and there are so many good books out there.
If you read this J K, really sorry not to support the book as you are one of the
best writers to surface for a long time.

Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy)
Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy)
by Blake Crouch

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books I've ever read!!!, 21 Mar. 2014
I've read a lot, so this is high praise. Loved the setting of the book,
the intriguing plot line and the characters. Can't praise Blake Crouch's
writing style and imagination enough. If I was a writer, this is what I'd want to
write. Fantastic, gripping.......... couldn't put it down, literally!

Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy)
Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy)
by Blake Crouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from beginning to end!, 21 Mar. 2014
I absolutely love all of Crouch's work, and this sequel to Pines was fantastic.
Gripping, fast paced, excellent writing style. Couldn't put it down, and for the first time
in my life contacted the author to congratulate him on such an excellent story.
I don't like discussing plot lines etc in reviews as the blurb on the back tells you what it's about,
and I think opinions can be spoilers!. All I can say is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - oh and maybe I'm odd,
because I would love to live in Wayward Pines!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4