Profile for Philip Quinton > Reviews

Content by Philip Quinton

Philip Quinton "Hot Banana Studio" (Aylesbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Wifi Booster
Wifi Booster

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work and can not possibly work., 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Wifi Booster (App)
Let's be clear, an app on your mobile device is not going to boost digital signal or reception in the real world. It cannot. It may drain your battery a little faster and give you lots of pop-ups while it scans the data on the rest of your device but it *cannot* improve wireless reception.

The nearest working downloadable solution to a patchy digital signal is an app called Free Network Signal Repair which merely resets/refreshes all the connections but even this can not make a network signal stronger or boost transmission.

If you are having problems with your wi-fi or network reception you'd be better off simply restarting your phone.

Torras Stevia Hazelnut Chocolate Spread 200 g (Pack of 2)
Torras Stevia Hazelnut Chocolate Spread 200 g (Pack of 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and overpriced, 28 April 2014
The chocolate spread tastes OK. Not bad. Four stars. My reasons for knocking off two stars are the misleading labelling and the price of the stuff given that I thought I was paying for something better.

Putting STEVIA in massive lettering is virtually a lie. 45% of this is a different sweetener called maltitol which is also a laxative. Stevia accounts for 0.027% of the overall mix. Ludicrous.

"NO SUGARS" in huge letters with (added) printed underneath in tiny lettering is a standard and unnecessary marketing scam. At almost 1000 calories per 200g pot you might just as well buy regular chocolate spread and save yourself the expensive laxative hilarity.

Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC and Xbox One - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap for a reason. 3 of these drives ALL FAILED within months., 19 Mar. 2014
I have bought three of these drives in the space of the last nine months from different suppliers for use on different computers. None of them were in frequent use as I used them purely for archival purposes. I simply back stuff up, eject the drive and pop it back on the shelf.

The first one failed after its third use. No response at all. Just total failure. I put it down to bad luck and bought another.

The second one failed DURING the first use. I was backing up an 800GB sound edit project and at some point during the transfer the drive started to click repeatedly and disappeared from the drive directory.

I sent it back for a refund and bought a third from a different supplier. I backed up a load of stuff between October and November 2013, no problems. Plugged it into another PC this afternoon (March 2014) and I can't access it. The light comes on but there's nobody home, so to speak. Tried it on a second PC, same thing.

I have not has this problem with any other external drive. I have been using a variety of other external hard drives since 2007 The oldest one lasted 6 years and even when it failed I was still able to extract the drive from the enclosure and carry on using it!

I don't have a problem with Seagate generally, most of the internal hard drives in all of my computers for the last 12 years have been Seagate and I have only had one die on me.. This "expansion drive" model is a lottery however. Three drives dead in 9 months. Something ain't right. Find out for yourself. See how long yours lasts.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 9:20 PM BST

Death [DVD]
Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claira Watson Parr
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky British indie hybrid, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Death [DVD] (DVD)
The gothy sleeve design and the cover blurb on the back make this look like some sort of bad horror flick, but it ain't.
(The American release of this film - re-titled "After Death" - is more appropriately packaged.)

The film is a quirky blend of good-natured comedy, mystery, science fiction and the supernatural. Cleverly written yet not taking itself too seriously. Beautifully shot, centred around four grieving, dysfunctional siblings returning to their family home to sort out their father's affairs and unearthing a number of incredible and disturbing family secrets as the story unfolds.

I recommend this to fans of British indie film.

Salter Ultimate Accuracy Electronic Scale
Salter Ultimate Accuracy Electronic Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid floor ESSENTIAL for accurate readings., 23 Jan. 2014
I took a chance on this scale based on the manufacturer's claims and reputation - despite the number of negative reviews - because so many of the people leaving negative reviews appeared to be in a state of apoplectic hysteria and more than slightly ignorant about how these devices work.

My punt was rewarded with a superb and consistently accurate scale.
Absolutely spot-on readings with zero variance on every single weighing.

However... caveat emptor... the manufacturer has exaggerated the ability of this device to work on all floor surfaces. It doesn't. It only works consistently if you have a rock solid floor. On any other surface (including bare floorboards and lino) there can be over 20lbs in variance.

I use the scales on the tiled concrete floor of my conservatory and it is absolutely pin-point accurate every single time, no variance. Anywhere on the floor. Every time.

So it's five stars from me but if you don't have a solid floor then I have news for you; you will never be able to use a scale completely accurately. Not just this scale but ANY scale.
Digital bathroom scales will only ever be completely accurate if you have a solid floor surface upon which to place such a device. If you don't have a solid floor chill out and get yourself a decent old-fashioned analogue bathroom scale.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2015 5:46 PM GMT

MEE audio Sport-Fi S6P Memory Wire In-Ear Headphones with Microphone, Remote, Volume Control, and Sports Armband (Red/Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete head-space package, 22 Jan. 2014
I always have low expectations of in-ear phones. I never found a pair that weren't uncomfortable to wear or listen to or else kept popping out every time I turned my head or broke into a jog. And then I usually lose track of the fiddly things after a couple of weeks anyway before finding them months or years later covered in fluff and missing an earpiece.
This package has addressed all of the issues that I used to have with buds and some I hadn't even thought about.

The first thing I was impressed by with this set was the range - and usefulness - of the accessories. Half a dozen pairs of earpieces of differing depth, width and design were very much appreciated. I have slightly different sizes of ear canal which usually means that either my left lughole gets a bit sore or my right earhole keeps popping out the earpiece. Although I found the default earpieces to be comfortable straight out of the box I was able to find a different one in the supplied bag that fit the left ear more comfortably. Now I don't even notice I've got them on and the close fit goes some way to keeping the buds in place.
The memory wire that goes around the back of your lobes takes the rest of the strain.

The zippered case that is included is clearly designed to be able to hold a smartphone as well as the earphones themselves so you also get a protective case for your phone. There is a band on the back of the case for slipping your belt through if you want to wear it on your waist.

The accessory that made this stand out for me was the armband. A thick velcro strap keeps the phone holder in place and the protective plastic window of the phone holder is sufficiently conductive to allow you to operate your phone whilst sheathed, although the folds in the soft plastic make this a little awkward it's still preferable to not being able to get at your phone at all.

I liked the extension cable that came with these. Being able to keep the cable short is essential when you're at the gym and don't want wires flapping about but the extension is useful for using these out and about when you want to keep your phone in your pocket. Or on your belt.

The inclusion of the microphone is also fantastic. You don't have to fiddle around when you get a call, just press the little button on the wire to accept and your call is routed through the earphones.
The volume slider next to the phone mic is sort of stiff but if it were not then it would be more easily knocked during activity which can be annoying.

Finally the earphones themselves.
They have the upper-mid-range frequency hump typical of all in-ear monitors. Such tiny little drivers cannot produce a flat frequency response so you're not going to buy these to listen to your classical music collection, but that's not what these are for anyway.
The fact that they have a bass response that is neither ridiculously over-pronounced nor entirely absent immediately makes these the best earphones that I have ever owned. In conjunction with clear, reasonably-detailed treble tones these are only a minor EQ-adjustment away from doing your music collection some sort of justice for the price. Selecting the right earpiece and getting it correctly positioned in your ear canal will also make a big difference to the sound quality as well as sealing out external noise.

In conclusion, a good solution not just for listening to music at the gym but also for being out and about in town or shutting out the noise of your commute and getting your own head space back. Decent enough quality for listening to your choons in a variety of noisy, active situations and comfortable enough to forget that you're wearing them.

Headphone case for AKG K501 K601 K603 K701 K702 Q701 Denon D2000 Beyerdynamic DT800 DT880 DT990 DT770 DT660 Sennheiser HD800 k271mk2 K501 Sony MDR-CD780 CD1000 CD1700 MDR-SA1000 SA3000 SA5000 Beyerdynamic DT880 DT990 DT770 DT660 HD515 HD555 HD595 HD598 HD500 HD570 HD200 Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD600 HD650 HD700 HD485 HD465 HD380 EH2270 Audio-technica ATH-AD300 ATH-AD400 ATH-AD500 ATH-AD500X ATH-PRO5MK2 ATH-PRO700 ATH-910PRO ATH-M50SE ATH-M35 ATH-M40FS ATH-M10 ATH-M20 ATH-M30 ATH-SX1a ATH-AD1000X AD2000X ATH-AD900X ATH-AD700X ATH-W3000ANV ATH-W5000 AD1000PRM ATH-ATH-AD700X Denon AH-D2000 AH-D5000 AH-D7000 AH-D7100 JVC HA-M5X M55X JVC HA-DX2000 SHURE SRH840 SRH440 SHR550 SHR940 24cm x 20cm x 12cm and Other headphones
Offered by Audio123 LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasted nearly two years., 17 Jan. 2014
I bought this to protect my massive new AKG K702s.

It is capacious enough to hold the cans without bending the cable where it connects to the headphones if you put them in the right way around. It is sturdy but not totally rigid. Slightly flexible under pressure. Probably a good thing as the case will absorb the shock if dropped.

The exterior of the case is a smooth, woven fabric bonded to the shell casing. There is a spongy, webbed pouch on the inside of the case that is attached by velcro pads to the soft fabric lining the inside of the case. It can be easily detached and moved to another spot. It is most likely intended for headphone cable extensions and small portable headphone amps. There is a separate velcro strip about 5 or 6 inches long which also attaches to the inside of the case and can be looped around to keep your headphone cable tidy.

A discreet little woven nylon band along the outer hinge serves as a handle.

UPDATE: I bought this in January 2014 and it has lasted until November 2015. The handle broke a couple of weeks ago and the zippers have just fallen off. Lasted nearly two years.

AKG K702 Reference Open-Back Over-Ear Studio Headphones
AKG K702 Reference Open-Back Over-Ear Studio Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Review update: Reliable & professional monitoring - given time!, 16 Jan. 2014
INITIAL REVIEW: I've worked in TV broadcasting since 1997, low-budget film production since 2011 and amateur/semi-professional music production on and off since 1992. Until lately I've always done my mixes for music and film sound on nearfield studio monitors in various low-budget studios and home studio set-ups, continuously striving to improve the monitoring and acoustics of my home studios with the very limited budget available to me.

Lately I've been forced to consider the necessity of doing much of my work on headphones using VRM (virtual reference monitoring). Obviously to work accurately with the VRM software/hardware I need the most neutral-sounding headphones that I can afford. I've never splurged more than £50 on headphones before and during my on-line research I encountered the audiophiles' theory of "burn-in" - the notion that headphones start out sounding slightly below-par but improve after many hours of use. Some people believe this and some people believe that it is not the headphones improving with use but the hearing of the user becoming more attuned to the new headphones.

I used these headphones for several hours a day with various devices over a seven-day period. Initially I was disappointed. The sound seemed somewhat anaemic, lacking in warmth and I had to strain to hear bass detail even on heavy electronic music and films with big explosions. By the end of the week the frequency response seemed to have levelled out and I was becoming more satisfied with the clarity and detail. I could hear flaws and crudities in television sound production (which is the level of clarity that I require) and music was becoming more pleasurable. The 'phones were "burning in", or so I thought.

At the end of this period I had to make a long journey so I loaded up some albums for my car stereo and hit the road. The bass was unbearably loud for me! This is a first because I have been playing bass guitar for over 20 years! I had to stop at a service station to neutralise all the EQ settings but I still found it really heavy, even on my poxy little car speakers.
The headphones had been training my ears to become more sensitive to low-frequency detail!

This is excellent news for me because my music mixes have always veered toward being slightly muddy/bass-heavy compared to commercial music releases, necessitating much subsequent tweaking. So it seems not to be the headphones being burned in but my bass-deafened ears become re-sensitized with extensive use. I am also finding other speakers in my house to be overwhelming at the bottom end and have been forced change the balance and crossover point between my main studio monitors and the sub-woofer. I will be interested to find out how my future music mixes change as I use the headphones and VRM more frequently, and I will update this review when I have had more practical use rather than leisure use.

So why have I only given these headphones a 4/5? Well the sound detail is extraordinary in its clarity but there seems to be a slight upper-mid range bump in the frequency response which makes spoken word voices sound very slightly telephonic, or in worse instances - on older recordings - a little like optical sound recording. I have a £40 pair of Sennheisers that sound a lot flatter to my ears in the mid-range, but I suppose it is because I am more accustomed to them.

If it turns out that I have been too hasty in dismissing "burn-in" and that the little bump in the sound evens out then I will return to this review, eat my words and add another star to the rating. The headphone packaging instructed me to expect perfection. For the price I feel that I am getting less than perfection.

ONE-MONTH UPDATE: I have just upgraded my rating from four to five stars. The mid-range spike in the sound has evened out and the bass response seems distinctly fuller and richer. I now believe in burn-in!

More crucially, listening back on these headphones to some sound editing work that I am currently engaged in I can hear all kinds of flaws that weren't revealed by my studio monitors. The clarity is just insane - I can hear absolutely everything. Every glitch, every dodgy edit, every over-zealous use of the noise reduction is making me cringe. I have got a lot of remedial work to do but by the end of it I shall have the cleanest, tidiest sound mix that I have ever done!

I heartily recommend these headphones. They are definitely worth the money and more than adequate for professional use. Money very well spent for a change! Five stars *****
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2016 8:10 PM GMT

Tiger Guitar Plectrums with Pick Tin, 12 Medium Guitar Picks
Tiger Guitar Plectrums with Pick Tin, 12 Medium Guitar Picks

5.0 out of 5 stars Motley and groovy., 24 Oct. 2013
I didn't give it much thought when I ordered this. I just needed a selection of plectrums for my studio because I've lost all mine and so, it seems, has every guitarist who shows up and starts carving out bits of credit card to use as picks.

Anyway, neat little tin that springs open when you press the top and snaps shut when you squeeze the sides. There is a pleasant sort of menthol smell when you open the tin which is a nice touch.
Some variation in thickness and rigidity from bendy little nylon plucker to chunky bass grinder, and each pick has a different colour or design - all of them very groovy indeed.

It's not like I make a habit of getting worked up over a tin of guitar picks, but I do appreciate it when mundane little objects are made beautiful, especially when they become a part of my studio. I especially like the shiny purple ones and the bottle green one.

Integral Noir 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Integral Noir 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by MyMemory

1.0 out of 5 stars Revised...Died after six months. Thumb (drive) down., 19 Sept. 2013
I've had this a few months now and it functions exactly as I hoped. Both of my PCs have USB 3.0 ports which I need for transferring film projects which can easily run to several terabytes of data. This flash drive is really handy for quickly moving large chunks of data from clients' laptops to my PC and back again without having to stop for a coffee break.

INITIAL 2-MONTH REVIEW: I have bought other 64GB sticks from other manufacturers including Kingston, SanDisk and iBoutique and they have been total duds. Not fakes - genuine articles - but painfully slow to the point of being unusable. It's pot luck and you don't always get what you pay for.
This one works well, it's fast and I can even use it in my Sony car stereo which is notoriously fussy about what USB it'll read.

Having said all that I realise that buying USB flash drives is still a bit of a lottery especially with small, high capacity flash drives which can either be dead on arrival or fail with heavy use, which I think is common to all brands.

6-MONTH UPDATE: Having barely used this drive since my initial review I am disappointed to report that it has failed after 2 days of transferring large media folders. I cannot even reformat the thing. So far I have bought ten different brands of 64 GB and not one of them has worked for longer than around nine months. 64 GB flash drives therefore have a short life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12