Profile for Schnack > Reviews

Schnack (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
2x Lightning to USB Cable for Apple Iphone 5, Ipod Touch 5 gen, Nano 7th Gen
2x Lightning to USB Cable for Apple Iphone 5, Ipod Touch 5 gen, Nano 7th Gen

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality alternative to crazy Apple pricing., 9 Mar. 2013
These cables are working fine for me after more than a month. Very occasionally I get a "this device not supported" error, but if I flip the connector over and put it in the other way it works right away. If that really bothers you, by all means feel free to pay twice as much for Apple cables. If you'd rather spend the cash on a martini, these are great.

Camper Women's Wabi 20889 Moccasin
Camper Women's Wabi 20889 Moccasin

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally love these, 4 Dec. 2012
Great design, super comfy, super warm. I have been really disappointed with other top brands whose slippers fall apart after 2 months. These are fantastic, highly recommended.

Pad Bracket - iPad wall mounting bracket (for original iPad, iPad 2 & New iPad 3)
Offered by WOWOOO

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but wish it was cheaper, 25 Sept. 2012
Like other customers I struggle to understand how a small piece of plastic could be worth so much... but I still bought it. It definitely does the trick, though I find that it fits the older iPads better (we have a 1st gen and a 3rd gen) as they are wider. With the new iPad it's quite wobbly in the bracket and I find it is more secure if you have one of the Apple covers fitted, which adds some bulk. We fitted ours to a kitchen cupboard so we can use it for recipes, music, TV etc in the kitchen, which is truly wonderful. A word of caution though if you do this - don't forget it's there and "slam" the cupboard shut, or your iPad may end up on the floor. The bracket holds the device securely but is not intended to be fitted to something which is going to be moving at high velocity!

simplehuman - wire frame dishrack, stainless steel
simplehuman - wire frame dishrack, stainless steel

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form from Simplehuman, 25 Sept. 2012
Having been disappointed with some aspects of a previous version of this rack (I think it was called a "Wave" rack) I was very cautious about buying this. Unfortunately there just isn't much competition in terms of high quality dish racks in the UK market. Everything else proved to be too small or too basic.
I am really pleased that I took the plunge and purchased this rack - the design is a massive improvement on my previous model. The problem with the old rack was that the drainage channels were closed or had to be dismantled with a screwdriver to be cleaned, and over time built up slime (where this comes from on my clean dishes is a mystery!) which eventually blocked the drainage. Keeping it clean and keeping the drainage working was impossible. NOT ANY MORE! This model has open drainage on top of the platform - straight down into three holes and a drainage spout which can be easily slipped on/off for cleaning.
What I don't understand is why Simplehuman don't include any instructions or explanations on the box. It took me a while to figure out that the legs have a flip-out extension which you need to use to create the proper angle for draining. Also to work out that there is a clear gel 'stopper' on the drainage holes (so that you can choose which side faces your sink) that needs to be in the correct position (or the water ends up on the countertop). These things just aren't obvious when you're staring at a bulky foreign object for the first time, so it took a bit of water on the floor for me to figure it out! Though I did manage to work out where to slot the bamboo knife holder so yay me.
Apart from the lack of instructions, and the cup holders which really aren't good for much other than small plastic tumblers, I couldn't be happier - a generously sized dish rack with plenty of space, really good sized utensil holder (two sections plus the knife block), the grooves hold plates and bowls nicely and it's super easy to clean. Bravo!

Padders Women's Anika Fleece and Fur Lined
Padders Women's Anika Fleece and Fur Lined
Price: £19.99 - £25.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and warm. (but they fall apart after a couple of months), 25 Sept. 2012
Though they are not the most stylish slippers I've ever owned, they certainly rank in the top 3 for comfort and warmth. Good fit, nice hard sole which should last and I bought the black so they should be easy enough to keep clean. I'm happy.

Edit: A disappointing update: after less than 2 months, the insoles of these slippers came apart (detached from the slipper) and so in the bin they went. And I only wear them for a couple of hours a day. Not like I wear them to work or anything!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 1:10 AM GMT

The Killing of the Tinkers
The Killing of the Tinkers
by Ken Bruen

3.0 out of 5 stars McBain - maybe. Raymond - surely not., 25 Sept. 2012
This is the third Bruen that I've read and I definitely enjoy his work. What appeals is probably the easy-read aspect (a few hours of your life at most) and the gritty realism. It's true that Jack Taylor has no right to call himself an "investigator" (and I don't recall him ever doing so) as there is really no detective work going on here - just a series of events/incidents which are strung together to tender a resolution of the problem at hand. So if you can stop thinking of Taylor as a detective (in the same way that Nescafe is not coffee) and just get on with absorbing his character, you'll probably enjoy the ride all the more.
As for Bruen - well, some authors wear their influences on their sleeves, and Bruen just quotes them on every other page. The style and frugality of words owes much to Ed McBain (where you assume 20% rehash to paint the central characters' stories) and certainly his books are as easy to read and enjoy. He also mentions Derek Raymond whose work he clearly admires. Unfortunately nothing I have read by Bruen as yet does more than allude to the darkness and craft of Raymond's Factory series (try He Died with His Eyes Open for starters).
I will continue to read (and I hope enjoy) Bruen and continue to hope for the salvation of Jack Taylor.
As an aside, I notice this novel is dedicated to fellow noir writer Cathi Unsworth and I highly recommend her most recent novel Weirdo as well!

1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations (1,000 (Rockport))
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations (1,000 (Rockport))
by Dawn DeVries Sokol

2.0 out of 5 stars Homogenous collection of personal journals, 25 Sept. 2012
As someone who has recently started "art journalling" I have purchased a few books about techniques and some showcasing other artists' work, hoping for inspiration. I had high hopes for this book based on the reviews and the "look inside" (always much appreciated). Unfortunately I was terribly UNDERwhelmed by the variety and character of the work shown here. I kept turning the pages and encountering very similar work - almost as if half of the artists had attended a workshop together and employed the same techniques to their pages. Techniques like drawing wavy lines and hand-lettering variable sized text to fit in the lines; stamping 'headlines' in alphabet stamps; marking out 'calendar squares' on a page and writing short daily entries over a month; lots and lots and lots of pages covered in colour washes with inspirational words or quotes pasted on them....
And one of the last things I'd expect to ever hear myself complain about - but the majority of artists featured (at least 90%) are female. Generally injecting more female power into any perspective is a positive, however in this case I feel that it contributes to the sense of homogeneity that pervades this collection. The work here is very skewed towards people who are making their personal journals artistic, rather than artists who are keeping personal journals. For me, this was probably the key to the problem. If the title were "1000 ARTISTIC Journal Pages" it would be much more accurate. I'm not keen to say who is an artist and who isn't - we all have some creative ability and should be encouraged to express it. I would not call myself an "artist" (I could probably be defined as someone trying to make a personal journal artistic!) but my heart yearned for more variety and inspiration than I found in this book. Also it's worth mentioning that due to the number (1000) of pages displayed, they are small - on average four journal pages to one page of this book, and many artists have multiple pages represented. There is no information about the artists but there is a list of names, with web site links where available at the back. I am sure there are people who will find this book fits the bill but it's not what I needed.
Personally I found An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers to be much more inspirational, varied and exciting - and it includes short interviews with the artists who answer questions about their journals, what notebooks they use - and in some cases includes photos of their workspaces and collections of note/sketchbooks.

Metaltex Poltherm Coating Aquatex Dish Drainer with Cutlery/ Plate Attachment
Metaltex Poltherm Coating Aquatex Dish Drainer with Cutlery/ Plate Attachment

3.0 out of 5 stars Very small, 5 Jun. 2012
The drainer and insert seem to be a good quality build. I thought the idea of having a removeable insert was great and would save on valuable counter space. However it really is a very small size overall, even if you use the two pieces separately. I also find the cutlery holder to be too short for any kind of utensils (they tip over and fall out). There are only 2 of us but there is not enough space in this drainer to do the all dishes after a meal. So in summary, a good product but very small so pay attention to those measurements before buying!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2013 8:05 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small kitchens, 5 Jun. 2012
We have a tiny kitchen and I am forever catching items as they fall out of our overstuffed cupboards. Bought two of these racks and we are delighted. We fit them on our base (floor) unit doors - one near the cooker which we use for cooking oils, sprays and vinegars and the other is used for sauces and condiments. They are easy to fit with the supplied screws and I'm no handyman, so "easy" means "easy"! They are quite deep so be sure your cupboards have enough clearance between the door and the shelving inside.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent long lead - miles better than a retractable!, 24 April 2012
Bought this to replace a worn-out long line and we are very pleased with it. The material is smooth and while it won't completely protect you from rope-burn if your dog is determined to pull the lead through your hand rapidly - it's much better than previous long lines we've used. If you are training your dog, or if you own a dog which doesn't have good recall, it's a great lead to use. A thousand times better than using on of those retractable leads, which basically just teach a dog how to pull on a lead (due to the constant tension created). Also with a lead of this type you have much better control over your dog should they be strong or determined to pull away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5