Profile for Dr. Fred > Reviews

Content by Dr. Fred

Dr. Fred "Dr. Fred" (Salem, VA)

The Detective and the Woman: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes
The Detective and the Woman: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes
by Amy Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Best depiction of Irene Adler I have read to date., 24 Jan. 2013
Move over Carole Douglas, there's a new sheriff in town. Actually, a new Irene Adler. Many authors have tried to work in Irene Adler in their stories, either in the past of Sherlock Holmes as is well done by Laurie King or as a
part of the detective's present life as Carole Douglas has done. All five star ratings in my humble opinion. So big a figure is Irene Adler that she is in the two big Sherlock Holmes films recently out and even in the BBC series Sherlock.
Most authors have not done as well, however Amy Thomas has surpassed them all. Her picture of Irene Adler with the great detective is one you can believe in and The Detective and The Woman is a book I could not put down. I know that is an awful cliche' but it is true. I am not an expert on Holmes, however I do have several shelves of books on Sherlock Holmes and my love of these stories goes back over 70 years, I will not be a spoiler about this book and know that there will be those who cannot stand thinking of Holmes and Adler getting together. They may just change their minds when they read this book. I have to add that I have already ordered the sequel and hope there will be a long series.

When Worlds Collide (Doctor Who (IDW Numbered))
When Worlds Collide (Doctor Who (IDW Numbered))
by Tony Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun reading and great for Grandkids., 28 Feb. 2012
Enjoyed reading it and now it si for the Grandkids. I recommend this highly to all Dr. Who fans and to folks who need to be introduced to The Doctor.

A Fairytale Life (Doctor Who (IDW))
A Fairytale Life (Doctor Who (IDW))
by Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages., 28 Feb. 2012

Black Ice (Young Sherlock Holmes)
Black Ice (Young Sherlock Holmes)
by Andrew Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately there will be more., 21 Sept. 2011
The author definitely creates a young Sherlock Holmes that is believable and the reader gets plenty of clues as to what made the boy the man he became. I had feared this would be a trilogy, however it was great to know there is a 4th book coming in the series and I have already pre-ordered it. Having studied Russian history before I went into teaching I found the book very insightful as to what the Russian Empire may have been like at the time the story takes place. I could feel the bitter cold and see the gloom described by Andrew Lane. Let's have many more.