Profile for M > Reviews

Content by M

M

YuHan Baby Diaper Bag Travel Backpack Shoulder Bag Fit Stroller Changing Pad Nappy Backpack Orange
Offered by YuHanUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of space and excellent quality, 2 July 2016
This is a fantastic changing bag. Lots of internal and external pockets, large amount of space in the main compartment and thoughtful little features like the clip in the front pocket for attaching keys. Comes with two Velcro straps to attach the bag to the pram, an insulated sleeve for bottles and a changing mat (that is perfectly serviceable). The quality is good and it's comfortable to wear. I bought this in blue, which is a lovely bright shade.

Belkin In Car Tunecast 6 Universal FM Transmitter - Black
Belkin In Car Tunecast 6 Universal FM Transmitter - Black
Offered by BSBargains

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 12 April 2012
I purchased this device for a recent road trip, and it was excellent. Worked perfectly with both my phone and my friend's MP3 player. The socket in the top of the lighter plug meant I could charge my phone and plug in the MP3 player at the same time which was excellent. Over distance it did need retuning a few times, but as the device was so simple to use, that wasn't a problem. The only downside I can see is that it would be tricky to do that safely alone whilst driving, so it's at its best when you have a passenger. Great value for the price (£14.99 when I purchased).

Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Damien Keown

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction, 11 Oct. 2010
This is my first venture into the Very Short Introductions series, and I'm very impressed. An excellent little book giving a thorough overview of Buddhism, and including interesting sections on the nature of religion - not just a list of what Buddhists believe and their practices etc, but delving deeper into things. I loved it, and I want to read more on this fascinating religion.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Place & Time...., 30 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
This is my all time favourite ever book. Fortunately for me, I read it at the right time, right place. Aged 17, at Sixth Form, aching for meaning - I found myself thoroughly in Richard's position of admiration for the group, felt that same pang and desire to be a part of their different-ness.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, simply because if you don't like it, well you've just spent a few hours reading a book, but if you love it.... it will stay with you forever. Worth the risk, don't you think?

The Cutting Room
The Cutting Room
by Louise Welsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & Bad, but a tale worth hearing, 30 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Cutting Room (Paperback)
I expected great things from this novel, but didn't quite get them all.

There are both poor and excellent elements to "The Cutting Room"; the storyline itself is gripping & intriguing, Welsh's dialogue (although at times unconvincing dialect) is compelling & some of her characters genuinely interesting.

However, I felt much of her narration and description was too contrived. Considering the first person narrative, there were lengthy descriptive passages, not particularly evocative ones at that, which detracted from the pace of the story and did little to set the scene or make Welsh's Glasgow come alive.

The background characters were unappealing and irritating, but I found myself drawn to Rilke, the protagonist, and wanting to know more about him.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it as a read (though not a lengthy one; I am not a quick reader, and I devoured it in two evenings) for the following reasons: the girl-in-the-photographs storyline, the self-destructive Rilke &, if you like that sort of thing, the somewhat graphic accounts of his evening activities. Don't expect marvellousness, and you may even be irritated at times, but the story is worth it.

The Distance Between Us
The Distance Between Us
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 31 May 2008
This was my first Maggie O'Farrell novel, and I absolutely adored every page of it. The story itself is brilliantly told, and highly compelling, but the real prize is in her description; simple, subtle and perfect. I couldn't put this book down once I'd begun it, and read it in a day. If you like an intriguing storyline and brilliantly told human interaction, then this book is a must.

After You'd Gone
After You'd Gone
by Maggie O'Farrell

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful; a gifted writer, 31 May 2008
This review is from: After You'd Gone (Paperback)
I picked up After You'd Gone, having loved several others by this author, and after a difficult start I'm so glad I persevered.

I trouble initially getting into this book, but the relationship between John & Alice was just wonderful, and kept me turning the pages. Ms O'Farrell's powers of description are unparalleled; her narration of the lovers interaction was just wonderful, and Alice's later grief was rendered with such perfection I cried my way through the latter part of the book.

A mesmerising novel; after a few chapters the change in perspective is easy to get used to, I advise reading this book in as few sittings as possible, as picking it up and putting it down does lead to some confusion - I read this novel mostly at bus stops, so I speak from experience!

Not her greatest novel (The Distance Between Us is superior) but a great novel nonetheless.

Peepo!
Peepo!
by Janet Ahlberg
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Peepo! (Board book)
My dad used to read me this book when I was a baby (I'm now 21) and I'll be reading it to my children (one day). A really beautiful book; gorgeous illustrations, with so much to look at. A must for every child's bookshelf.

The Tenth Circle
The Tenth Circle
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent read, 6 May 2008
This review is from: The Tenth Circle (Paperback)
Given all the negative reviews of this book, I'm surprised that I put it in my basket and bought it, but I'm very glad that I did.

My first Jodi Picoult, and it won't be my last, The Tenth Circle is gripping and well written. The less known about the plot beforehand, the better the read, so avoid spoilers if possible.