Profile for Fish on Legs > Reviews

Content by Fish on Legs

Fish on Legs "fishonlegs" (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zodiac 2 Litre Push Button Vacuum Jug
Zodiac 2 Litre Push Button Vacuum Jug
Offered by TheBigShip

5.0 out of 5 stars Years of hard work ahead for them..., 8 Jan. 2013
Bought two of these jugs for a parish church with poor catering facilities (typical for a parish church) to replace two vacuum jugs which had started to fall apart after about 20 years' of hard labour. Although the jugs these replace were supposed to do something clever in the lid department regarding pouring, it was at least seven years since that part had worked properly! We now use them to fill the urns on a Sunday!

They are exactly what we need, affordable, easy to clean, compact, easy to use, hopefully difficult to damage (essential) and retain the heat for long enough for our purposes. Although they were ordered on a Saturday, I had them by the middle of the following week (despite the free delivery date giving a longer margin). I'd buy more of these if necessary and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Someone in the congregation complained that they were ordered via Amazon, but I pointed out that we needed them at short notice and said that I would stop using Amazon when they stopped listening to the Rolling Stones (who for years have all paid less than 0.2% tax).

Early Byzantine Pilgrimage Art, Revised Edition (Dumbarton Oaks Byzantine Collection Publications)
by Gary Vikan

4.0 out of 5 stars Early Byzantine Pilgrimage Art, 8 Jan. 2013
This was bought as a gift for a curate leaving the parish church where he had his curacy and moving to his own parish. He was absolutely delighted with it. I was pleased with it, but to be honest was a bit surprised when I opened the packaging (before putting in a book plate and gift-wrapping it) because the cover was completely different and, like Alice, I had expected more pictures. Having said that, it's a very good, well-researched book, and really should have five stars. I'm still getting over the surprise of the white cover (has less impact than the one shown in this illustration). If anyone were interested in this subject, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Hearts - Textured Patterned Acrylic Rolling Pin
Hearts - Textured Patterned Acrylic Rolling Pin
Offered by Special Effects Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting choice of photograph, 8 Nov. 2012
I don't own one of these particular pins. I have other textured rolling pins, quite a few.

However, I have to say, that if I were taking a photograph of the end results in order to sell something, I would make sure that the sugar paste I had rolled out was (a) an attractive colour (good grief, people, there are much better colours than that raw clay colour) and (b) that the pattern had come out cleanly and looked good. The illustration here is a poorly rolled, cracked effort and I wouldn't spend good cash money on it - which is a pity for them, because it's probably not a bad product. Small, but not bad. Did you lubricate the pin before rolling? It looks like it stuck. Your rolling was uneven, so maybe a couple of practice runs would have helped.

I've given it three stars because it may well be OK. But with a picture of the end results like that - who knows?

jem Fabric & Floral Rolling Pin Set
jem Fabric & Floral Rolling Pin Set
Offered by Direct4Crafts Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use and effective, 21 Oct. 2012
I have these two embossing pins - the 'floral' is like broderie Anglaise, and is quite a delicate pattern - not a deep one. It's a linear pattern too, so there is a 'right way up' on it.

The 'fabric' one has a sort of wood-bark effect. Also fine, depending on the effect you're after.

When I first got mine, I wondered if there was some sort of master pin which went with them, as they are both hollow. I have other embossing pins which are solid. I don't think so, though. I think that's just the way they are.

The trick with them is to lay your hands flat over them an even distance along them - if you press and roll from the outside edge your centre won't be particularly well embossed. Hands flat and roll evenly for as far as you can (I covered fairy cakes with my first try and ended up rolling to mid-forearm).

I have to be honest, they're not my favourite designs amongst my pins, but they are easy to use and the patterns come in handy. You can't use the same embossed pin for everything!

I bought mine at a local cake decorating shop, so I can't give any comments on the supplier here.

Soft Kitty Warm Kitty Ladies Neon Pink Fitted T-Shirt (XL)
Soft Kitty Warm Kitty Ladies Neon Pink Fitted T-Shirt (XL)

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Kitty, 8 Aug. 2012
Arrived very promptly, good quality - nice that the fabric isn't too thick (what's the point of a t-shirt which is too warm to wear?), good colour and good quality printing. And even though I have slightly more generous proportions than I'd like, you can read the text on it.

Have made others pea-green with envy, random strangers have asked where I got it from... V happy kitty, here.

ROMANTISCHE HARFE
ROMANTISCHE HARFE

1.0 out of 5 stars Lovely music; poor quality recording, 23 July 2012
This review is from: ROMANTISCHE HARFE (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing a live performance in Canterbury Cathedral of some of Paris Alvars' music (note, that it shouldn't have a hyphen).

The CD arrived promptly - no problem with the seller. But the sound recording of the CD is so disappointing that I will never play it again. Woolly and muffled - it is a digitalised recording from the 1970s which was not cleaned or re-mastered.

I could have wept.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2013 6:42 PM BST

The Big Bang Theory: Seasons One - Five [DVD] [2012]
The Big Bang Theory: Seasons One - Five [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki
Offered by BornPig

1.0 out of 5 stars Do the math!, 23 July 2012
I love BBT. I have a Soft Kitty t-shirt. I can smile like Sheldon. I have even spat chocolate over myself (accidentally) while watching.

However, even I - who got an 'unclassified' in my 'O' level maths mock - can work out that buying seasons 1-4 in a box set for £14.99 plus season 5 for £14.99 (as listed on Amazon today) is cheaper than buying the complete season 1-5 box set.
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 9:53 PM BST

Speed [DVD] [1994]
Speed [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by RCDISCS - (All items Brand New and Sealed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Speed [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Arrived promptly (sooner than the estimate); nice, clean copy. Picture and sound good. No real extras (apart from the theater trailer) but for the price, I wasn't overly fussed.

I know people whine about Keanu Reeves being wooden, but I actually think that this is a very good film of its genre. He portrays his character well in both this film and the thingy presidents one with Patrick Swayze. And, let's face it - it's a chase movie with lots of explosions. What do you really want? At least he doesn't sound like he's reading idiot boards off-shot (like many actors in action movies do). And I bought the film for myself, so apart from the disc picture and sound quality (and a whinge about extras) I'm not going to say the film's rubbish. It was actually, I think, the first time I'd seen it in full, from start to finish. So result, I think.

Philips SpotOn LED Motion Sensor Hands Free Light, White, One-Pack
Philips SpotOn LED Motion Sensor Hands Free Light, White, One-Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Shine a little light, 21 Jan. 2011
After a member of the congretation missed the bottom step on a wooden staircase at the back of the church where I am a Churchwarden, I decided it was time to sort out this dark corner. Being a very old place, the light switches aren't particularly logical (having to come down a staircase and cross a stone floor before you get to the light switch - v sensible) so putting motion-sensitive switches along the sides of the steps was the obvious answer. And these being battery-operated made it even better - no cables to run or trip on.

So, two weeks ago I installed two of these to see how they went. Extremely easy to fit, and to set up (just as well, because they 'instructions' were just a couple of pictures). Previous reviews seemed to contradict - some saying they were too bright, others just right and some too dark - it was like the Red Riding Hood of convenience lighting. They aren't that bright. They come on even when it's quite light and bright (putting them face-down when you don't need them as someone has suggested isn't an option here). The arc of light isn't huge - enough for a step and a bit, so both lights have been put at the bottom of the steps. Having said all of that, I'm getting at least three more, because they are fit for purpose. They light up the steps in a dull/dark staircase, we're putting one at the top so that people can see the touchpad for the room at the top rather than having to fumble about, and hopefully they won't use up the batteries like there's no tomorrow (we have battery chargers and AAA rechargeable spares - very green, we are). I've had to warn the curates I don't want to find them doing their Michael Jackson 'Billie Jean' video impersonations on the stairs!

But it would be nice if they were more sensitive (didn't come on in broad daylight).

This Happy Breed [1944] [DVD]
This Happy Breed [1944] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Newton
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the kettle on!, 7 Jan. 2011
Well, if this film doesn't tick your home-front boxes, nothing will.

I know some people think that anything with Noel Coward in it is brittle and divorced from reality, but with the actors involved in this film breathing life into the script and scenes, you couldn't ask for much more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3