Profile for Harpjohn > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ProGuard Hearing Protection - Customised Personal Earplugs for Musicians & DJs
ProGuard Hearing Protection - Customised Personal Earplugs for Musicians & DJs
Offered by Bandshop

5.0 out of 5 stars COMFORTABLE, very good for ROCK GIGS, FLIGHTS and LONG DRIVES., 9 April 2016
I bought these years ago primarily for use when I was playing in a rock'n'roll band in pubs etc, because I have sensitive ears (I like playing harp) and being next to a drumkit is no pleasure for me. These ear filters are good though the tendency was for me to turn my guitar up loud, sometimes very loud according to the other band members! But I enjoyed those gigs and when I afterwards took out the Proguards everything was crystal-clear... which is not how most rock musos feel after a gig. I consider them vital, indispensable for rock gigs. The downside is that singing can sound strange, but then that is also the case WITHOUT the earplugs, because most bands play far too loud. DO NOT risk losing your hearing. I also wear them on flights and long drives. The aeroplane noise vanishes, and so does the sound of the car engine (the radio is still easy to hear, however), and I always arrive feeling much more refreshed and energetic than times when I didn't wear them. Remember: constant noise is very tiring. I wear them every night and sleep better with them. The only drawback: DON'T LOSE THEM. Many times I have scrabbled about trying to find one of these, and sometimes the little pink filter falls out if one is not careful. They are small and very easily lost, and Proguard sting you handsomely for any replacements. They're not cheap but are far more comfortable than any generic, standard ear filters. If I did lose them, I'd replace them, as I had to some five years ago when a harpie caused me to lose them at a hotel. At a cost of £120, I continue to take great care with them.

Ghungroo Pair, 4 line of Bells Mounted on Good Quality Green Pads
Ghungroo Pair, 4 line of Bells Mounted on Good Quality Green Pads
Offered by Vadyam

3.0 out of 5 stars Much quieter than I'd expected, but well made., 28 Mar. 2016
Too quiet for me. These are very nicely made but for my ears they are low-volume, muted bells, nothing like as bright or loud as I'd hoped. Perhaps they are normal, but I have a percussion instrument with far fewer metal bells and it is a lot louder, so maybe it's the metal. The quality of the stitching and cloth is good, and they look attractive, but the bell sound is not sufficient for a a performance with live music, in my view.

Stagg WIS-A30 Saxophone Stand
Stagg WIS-A30 Saxophone Stand
Offered by Manns Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stand, well constructed, 17 Dec. 2015
Great stand, well constructed, fits the alto very well, and looks like it should last a long time. And it's very good value, and why pay twice as much? I'd recommend it. Thanks.

JIMI HENDRIX ELECTRIC LADYLAND GUITAR RECORDED VERSIONS TAB
JIMI HENDRIX ELECTRIC LADYLAND GUITAR RECORDED VERSIONS TAB
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful book, good and detailed transcriptions of guitar parts ..., 1 Sept. 2015
A useful book, good and detailed transcriptions of guitar parts only in this volume, which is what I wanted. An immense amount of work must have gone into the transcribing of it, which I'm sure would have amused the spontaneous Jimi. Still, the tunes are worth playing well, and always get a good response... So thanks again, Jimi, and to the devoted transcriber...

GIBSON SG TRIBUTE 60'S MIN-ETUNE HERITAGE CHERRY VINTAGE GLOSS + GIGBAG Electric guitars Double cut

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar to play, superb Burstbucker tones, no fripperies., 26 July 2015
Great Value guitar. I bought one second-hand, and I benefited from the fact that the previous owner had had the frets dressed and a new nut fitted and cut. Why? As many reviews complain: the fret ends were sharp and the nut wasn't accurate. So, with those problems sorted, it's a delightful; guitar: very light, superb neck and 24-frets – which is what the SG should always have had – and good hardware. And the tone: lovely, singing notes from the characterful Burstbuckers. Gigging, I am knocked out with it, and like it more than the Les Pauls and Firebird I previously owned. Sustain is excellent, too, and one can fly up the neck, which has fat frets and a profile that allows wild bending... It's really good, and I got mine s/h for not much more than £300, so look around. It's my first SG, despite decades of playing, and now I see why the design is so good, especially compared with the heavy Les Paul, which doesn't have the high-fret access. For Gibson hb sounds, playability, no frills, try it – but don't bother with the Robot Machine Heads (mine hasn't got them, thank goodness). If anything will go wrong, it's them. Trust your ears...

Bridge: The Sea; Enter Spring; Summer
Bridge: The Sea; Enter Spring; Summer

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpieces beautifully recorded and played! Hear it!, 3 Feb. 2015
Until I bought this CD I had listened long to the Charles Groves' version, first on vinyl and then on CD. It is good and was the only version I knew, but I always felt there was something missing in both the recording quality and also the timing, which seem on Groves' version not quite on the beat at times, or in jazz terms, dragging. Some rhythmic sections sounded rather loose, the percussion and brass not quite together, a bit splashy and imprecise. I felt I could hear what was intended but it wasn't quite there; but here with Judd and the NZSO, dear reader, it is! This recording from New Zealand is in my view much clearer and better recorded, perhaps due to a better venue or more modern method of placing microphones, and has terrific dynamics and great timing. Enter Spring is a 20th century mystical masterpiece and this CD offers the best recorded version I've heard (not having heard yet the Hickcox version). The whole CD is a delight, and also a bargain. The Sea is beautifully paced, surging and sonorous. Summer is dreamy, flowing, delightful. The tone poems, playful, ever-changing forms that reveal Bridge's fantastic imagination and ear for detail. Judd and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra have given a magnificent performance of some of Frank Bridge's finest, so do give it a listenBridge: The Sea; Enter Spring; Summer!

Classics for Pedal-Free Harp
Classics for Pedal-Free Harp
by Chuck Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fine collection of playable, beautiful melodies, 28 Jan. 2015
This is a great book, highly recommended by me, who has played harp for some decades now. It is wonderful collection of classical tunes for the lever-harp, very well arranged by Chuck Bird and harpist Susan Peters. Some fingering is given (which I often diverge from, I confess), but the actual notes, the chords, bass notes and so on, are very well chosen; the pieces sound natural on the harp, and flow. There is a big repertoire in these pages, and the experienced player has the option to embellish and fill out the sometimes spare arrangements, but they are good as they stand. There are also interesting pages of biographical material on the composers. I am grateful to Susan Peters, if it was she who chose the tunes, for introducing me to tunes I might otherwise have overlooked for harp. I have not heard the CD (somehow I acquired the book only) but I have no doubt she plays them brilliantly. Other plus points: the book is not spiral bound but stays open on the music stand, the scoring is clear, easy to read, and many of the tunes are on two pages, not needing page turns. Anyway, there you are: a great book with tunes you can play at weddings, christenings, parties and funerals.

Haito - Hair Tools Twister Curler
Haito - Hair Tools Twister Curler
Offered by Hair Heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good present for a girl., 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Haito - Hair Tools Twister Curler
Christmas present for the girls, chosen on the basis of the review comments. So far it is working very well, and the daughter's curls are luxuriant and easily achieved. She likes it enormously...

The Colour of Saying: An Anthology of Verse Spoken by Dylan Thomas (Aldine Paperbacks)
by Ralph Maud

5.0 out of 5 stars Chosen by an open-minded master: an excellent and diverse collection, 12 Jan. 2015
It is very enjoyable to read what poems DT himself enjoyed, and there is a surprising diversity, something for all moods, and several to make you laugh out loud. The result is that we approach DT from outside as it were, and sense him and his poetic pleasure in the choosing of them. The other pleasure is that there are poems here I doubt I'd have ever heard were it not for DT's wide searching or reading. Most enjoyable, and there is a good preface.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars The children love these chancey sweets..., 12 Jan. 2015
My daughters (11 and 12) like these enormously, or rather, the fun to be had with them with their schoolfriends - the point being that some are sweet, some are horrible, you take a chance. Not my taste in games, but a great success and so ordered more boxes. I do hope they'll grow out of it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4