Profile for Music Lover > Reviews

Content by Music Lover

Music Lover

Page: 1 | 2
Cécile Chaminade: Callirhoë - Ballet Symphonique, Concertstück for piano and orchestra
Offered by Vocalion/Dutton Epoch Direct (Crazygreen8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning first recording of Chaminade's Orchestral Music, 19 May 2017
Callirhoe is a major discovery. Chaminade has been relegated to being a light fluffy composer (all those salon pieces) and apart from the Flute concertino and the odd outing of the Konzertstuck (on this disc) we have heard little of her orchestral music. Until now. Here is some 50 odd minutes; the complete Ballet "Callirhoe" and I would say that it shows that Chaminade was a composer capable of seriously good writing, in the manner of others such as Massenet and Saint Saens. The melodies flow in this sumptuously scored symphonic work, and it is as it says; ballet symphonique. The shimmering opening is truly inspired and one can easily imagine this whole piece being performed in the theatre. Over a 100 performances the excellent liner notes tell us and then nothing until now. Another of the continuing discoveries of the indifatigable conductor Martin Yates, who secures magical playing from the BBC Concert Orchestra in this world premier recording. Victor Sangiorgio is the sparkling soloist in the work for Piano and Orchestra and he plays it with such panache whilst finding every nuance and tiny detail worth exploring. Fabulous sound, Watford Coliseum (the town hall) is apparently one of the great orchestral acoustics. Dutton certainly bring that out in this glorious representation of French Belle Époque music.

Dvorák: Cello Concerto; Dohnányi: Konzertstück
Dvorák: Cello Concerto; Dohnányi: Konzertstück

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Wallfisch, 19 May 2017
Very lovely performance of the Dvorak. I really like Wallfisch's sound and simple expressive qualities. He doesn't impose on the music like so many performers do in order to make it "their" performance. Wallfisch plays so well and allows the music to speak for itself, which in my opinion is how it should be.

Maximilian Steinberg: Violin Concerto, Symphony No. 4 "Turksib"
Maximilian Steinberg: Violin Concerto, Symphony No. 4 "Turksib"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Soviet Music, 19 May 2017
Fantastic symphony which totally captures the energy and power of Soviet music in the middle of the 20th Century. It brilliantly describes in music the journey of the Railway from Turkmenistan to Siberia. The soloist in the Violin Concerto (Sergey Levitin) is sensational; he is becoming a Dutton favourite and rightly so. I thought that the Concerto was going to be quite a tough listen when it began but it isn't and anyone who likes Kabalevsky and Shostakovich will enjoy this piece. As always the Dutton sound is crystal clear and with the Scottish Orchestra and Martin Yates on top form this is a really good addition to the recorded catalogue of a composer who is seriously worth discovering.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2017 5:27 PM BST

Vaughan Williams: Fat Knight / Serenade to Music / Henry V Overture
Vaughan Williams: Fat Knight / Serenade to Music / Henry V Overture
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good and highly listenable recording. A must buy., 7 April 2016
It is amazing that we are still hearing first performances of Vaughan Williams so long after his death and doubly amazing that it took so long for Fat Knight as an orchestral work to see the light of day. I adore the opera but I love the suite. Operatic suites seldom work as well as this, and I suppose that it is partly that usually most of the music is sung in the opera. This isn't the case in Sir John in Love where a lot of the music is made up of orchestral interludes. So, mostly this is what is contained in this suite, although there are substantial sections as well that are sung in the original, and beautifully scored to fit perfectly within this piece. It's a large and substantial work and so rewarding to listen to. I was totally convinced by the ability of Fat Knight to stand alone and how relevant it is in his current Shakespeare year. I was also totally convinced by Henry V. Okay, it's not Vaughan Williams' orchestration, but not only could it be, it also utilises the sounds of the original Brass band version in the sound of this orchestration. Many amateur orchestras throughout the World will enjoy playing this, so I hope it gets published. I disagree with a previous reviewer about This version of Serenade to Music being inferior to the vocal one. I believe the composer did three versions of the work and so this one is just a valid as a document and I have to say I like the clarity of it. As for the performances, the solo violin in he serenade has the sweetest sound and is so right for his kind of music and the Royal Scottish Orchestra plays magnificently under Msrtin Yates. His continued sterling work at uncovering works he feels we must hear cannot be underestimated and neither can his ability either as a conductor, where his well judged performances hit the right note for me every time, or his remarkable ear for copying a composers orchestration. The sound the Dutton engineers get is beautiful. I noticed that it was recorded in the hall in Dundee. I hope they do more there because the sound is glorious. I cannot recommend this disc highly enough. I will listen to this over and over.

Ralph Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony (1920 version) Concerto for Two Pianos (1926-1931 arr. 1946)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special recording, 22 Aug. 2015
I bought this CD as a continual follower of Dutton Epoch and although I have several recordings of the London Symphony I was particularly
keen to have a modern and decent recording of the Double Piano Concerto. And what a stunning recording it is too. Both pianists were clearly taken with the music and deliver performances that are sensational. The energy with which the work starts is hard to imagine better and they maintain this energy all the way through the piece. I think the slow section at the end of the last movement is one of those Vaughan Williams moments to be treasured, and the soloists play it for all its worth, with real pathos and poignancy.
As I said earlier, I bought the CD for the Concerto, but was totally absorbed by the London Symphony performance. Firstly the 1920 version is now my favourite version. It sounds somehow so complete and all the bars that were cut by Vaughan Williams as he reworked the piece seem to be so essential now I've heard them in the context of this version. I thought the original version was just too sprawling and understood why the composer reworked the symphony from there, but in my opinion he got it totally right in this 1920 version.
Now to the performance. This is now my favourite go to version for this symphony. The Scherzo was electrifying and was played brilliantly by the Royal Scottish, and the pacing of the entire work seemed so natural, allowing all the colours to come out, whilst not letting it drop at any point. The beautiful Lento movement was ravishing, with every climax expertly paced. I have the Yates/Dutton recording of the Fifth Symphony and I also really love this version. I sincerely hope that Yates is planning to record the other symphonies. A personal request would be for No.9, in my opinion an often misunderstood work, but one that I am certain would really benefit the natural way that Yates unfolds his Vaughan Williams. I cannot praise this recording highly enough. The Dutton sound is also magnificent.

Charles-Marie Widor - Volume 3: Violin Concerto, Symphony No. 1, La Nuit de Walpurgis

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth getting to know., 16 Feb. 2015
I enjoyed the Violin Concerto more than it sounds like a previous reviewer did. I found it full of charm and I love the melodies that simply flow through it. I also feel that Sergey Levitin warrants a strongly positive review. He has a wonderfuly clear sound and is so accurate when navigating with ease up to the high notes, always with a singing tone. I haven't come across him before until hearing this CD but hope that he will do more with Martin Yates and Dutton in general. The symphony is as a previous reviewer mentioned a darker version of Bizet's Symphony in C. I particularly like the slow movement which has touches of a Elgar in it's main theme. The tone poem is typical of the period, with lots of fireworks and some really good melodies. I don't think any of the works are forgotten masterpieces but they are well worth hearing and I will keep returning to them I am sure. It is great that Dutton keep coming out with interesting repertoire as I love listening to music but I don't want to constantly listen to the same old stuff over and over again. The sound on this CD is really good and as always the indefatigable Martin Yates inspires clear headed and very musical playing from the fine players of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

Mendelssohn - Heimkehr aus der Fremde Overture, Piano Concerto in E / Chopin-Balakirev - Grand Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor) HYBRID SACD

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous recording., 5 Aug. 2014
This completion of the unfinished Piano Concerto is the best done of this work, the previous two having very unsatisfactory final movements. It was the final movement that was not really started by Mendelssohn, he sketched a linking passage from the second movement and then left what Martin Yates identified as the first subject and the start of an idea for a coda. The orchestration is a really good copy of Mendelssohn, showing that Yates has studied he composer, probably primarily as a conductor. Indeed it is probably being a conductor that allows him to do his very convincing completions. The Chopin Concerto is of course well known but not in this orchestration. Balakirev has done an extrordinary job in making this concerto a total synergy between the solo part and the orchestra, usually missing in the original Chopin orchestration. The performance of Victor Sangiorgio in both works is both wonderfully expressive, in a natural way and clean. Deciding to make his rubato in the Chopin a secondary feature to his overall concept of the work, rather than forcing it onto the piece, is a first class idea as the music is allowed to play totally naturally, unfolding along the way. Sangiorgio and Yates are ideal partners, as they have proved time and again, they are musicians who put the music first and that is obvious in this recording. The overture is a real Gem, although outside the dates of the concertos which were remarkably written within four years of each other. This overture from a juvenile Mendelssohn shows us with both his material and his orchestration what a genius he was. Why this overture is so relatively in recorded is a mystery to me. In this performance Yates and the Orchestra are on top form, sparkling and charming, in fact, throughout the disc the Royal Northern Sinfonia play with real beauty and style for Yates. I think Dutton should be congratulated on making this disc and for supporting artists such as Sangiorgio and Yates in such enterprising repertoire.

Godard: Romantic Piano Concerto Vol.63 [Howard Shelley] [Hyperion: CDA68043]
Godard: Romantic Piano Concerto Vol.63 [Howard Shelley] [Hyperion: CDA68043]

2.0 out of 5 stars The Dutton releases have not been surpassed., 4 Aug. 2014
You can only review this recording as a contrast to the previous dutton world premier recordings and to be honest this set, in my opinion comes out weaker. The partnership of soloist and conductor makes the dutton superior; quick silver response to the orchestra by Sangiorgio and brilliant response by conductor Yates to Sangiorgio in the Dutton release makes for a wonderfully evocative and colourful reading. In the current release there is simply not the dialogue between soloist and orchestra and this comes down to the fact the the soloist was also the conductor. Mozart works in this manner but romantic music simply does not. The Orchestra on this recording is also not as good as the RSNO on the dutton recording. I also think that the French sounding performances achieved on the Dutton release are not present on this Hyperion release, meaning that both concertos are left sounding like stranded German works rather than the whimsical and sparkling French works revealed in the performances on the dutton recording. All in all, when there are so many un recorded Piano Concertos, I am left wondering why Hyperion bothered to replicate what we already have in already superior performances.

Gounod: Complete Works For Piano & Orchestra [Roberto Prosseda, Howard Shelley] [Hyperion: CDA67975]

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing playing, music a bit under par, 15 Dec. 2013
The piano playing (or should I say pianos playing) is really astounding at times and I am very grateful to hear these works in their original format. The performance from Prosseda easily makes up for what is essentially music of no real distinction. Tuneful enough but not top drawer from such a usually enterprising composer. Dutiful rather than inspired. A good "once in a while" listen then.

Arnold Bax Symphony in F (realised by Martin Yates)
Arnold Bax Symphony in F (realised by Martin Yates)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insight into a young composers mind, 14 Dec. 2013
Whilst the Symphony would clearly have benefitted from Bax actually doing some work on it some years after he wrote it, I think it is a hugely enjoyable piece. Perhaps as a "symphony" the somewhat rhapsodic episodes make it a sometimes contentious listen, however I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the piece. Each movement is like a tone poem of it's own and although I readily enjoy listening to the outer movements, I really love the second and third movements particularly. The second movement contains one of Bax's most delicious melodies and the third whips along in a kind of sardonic waltz, all the while raising the game in power and momentum. The orchestra are splendid, it sounds as if they enjoyed discovering this music. The orchestration, by the conductor Martin Yates is extraordinary, he must have studied some of the early Bax works to pull it off so convincingly. Hats off again to Dutton and to Yates and the RSNO for allowing us hear another "what might have been". I will be playing this disc for years to come and enjoying hearing the young Arnold Bax trying things out and flexing his muscles.

Page: 1 | 2