Length:: 9:55 Mins
I am impressed with the camera and the accessories that come with it. It is a full featured camera that can be used for sporting events and even diving to depths of 40 meters. The camera is IPx7 waterproof with the standard lens cover installed and with the dive cover it is submersible to a depth of 40 meters or 131 feet.
The camera is loaded with sensors including a GPS tracker, and
• Built in motion sensors
You can even add in a heart rate monitor using and optional pulse monitoring belt.
You can use the computer installed software to track the GPS location of where you were as you were recording. The software is TomTom Bandit Studio and I downloaded it from the web from the TomTom site. Using the computer app gives you a lot of control over the data that you can get off of the camera.
The camera is designed to come apart and you can actually remove the interior part of the battery pack and it has a USB plug that allows you to plug the camera into any USB port to charge the battery. That way you don’t need to have any cables with you to charge the unit. If you want, you can use the charging cable that is in the Action Pack kit. There is also a Micro SD card slot on the side of that removable piece where you can plug in a 32 GIG class 10 Micro SD card to store your videos and photos on.
• Battery life: Up to 3 hours at 1080p 30FPS
• Power saving: Stand-by mode after 2 minutes of inactivity.
• Capacity: 1900mAh, 3.6V, 6.84Wh
• Charging: USB (Batt-Stick) or charging cable (optional). Please see my video.
• Battery power indicator: On the Batt-Stick with 4 green LEDs to indicate the current battery charge level.
The camera is lightweight and highly adjustable. The kit version comes with all of the mounting hardware that you need for your bike, helmet, surfboard or whatever application you need. You can also link the camera to your smart Apple or Android phone and use it as a viewfinder to aim the camera properly while it is mounted on your helmet or bike or whatever. You can also upload the videos to your smart phone, edit them and post them. The camera also has two buttons to start and stop recordings.
This is a first class quality camera and I like it a lot. I rated it at 5 stars. To look over the rating of the features of the unit here is how I rated them based on my opinion:
• Camera video and photo quality is 5 star. It is actually exceptional quality and I would rate it higher if I could.
• Mounting technique and hardware is 5 star. Very flexible methods to mount the camera and you can even use some of your exiting GOPRO hardware if you would like.
• Audio recording is a 4 star if you are not moving at high velocity. Recording while walking, hiking, talking or climbing would be good.
• Audio while moving at moderate to fast speeds is a 1 star. Without the microphone cover all you will hear is a loud roar from the wind. Adding the microphone cover makes it a two star at best. I have reviewed a lot of action cameras and in reality I have not found one that excels in recording audio content. This is no better or no worse than other cameras I have tested.
• Battery life, I got 2 hours and 38 minutes of battery life while recording video with the camera. That is very good in my opinion. You can purchase additional Bandit battery modules but they are expensive.
• Weight – the camera weighs 6.74 ounces and I like the round style of the camera enclosure. I have had better success with water sealing and ruggedness out of devices with round seals versus square cases. 5 stars.
• Set up and the user interface is very good and I found it easy to set up with the exception of the GPS. 4 star rating.
• GPS – it is hard and slow to sync and I had to use my smart device to sync the GPS. There is a feature in the app for your smart device to QuickGPSfix and locate your camera to your location. I still found it to be a slow process. Once the GPSFIX is done it is only good for 3 days and you will have to do it again if you are moving around geographically a lot. The GPS plays a big role in your sensor data like top speed and acceleration calculations. 3 stars at best.
• The IOS app I used on my Apple phone was very good. I could see what the camera saw for aiming like a view finder and setting up the mounting and you can set up the camera using your smart device. You have a wide range of control with the app. The WIFI connection to the camera was fast and easy. The SSID pass code is listed right underneath the WIFI symbol on the camera’s display. You can even start and stop recording using the app on your smart phone. You can set the scene setting for the camera for automatic, bright, night or underwater. Excellent app, 5 stars.
• Overall quality – this is an top of the line action camera. I gave it 5 stars.
• Films in high resolution at selectable qualities and from 15 to 120 FPS speeds depending on your selected video quality.
• It has a built in display to help you during use and setup.
• The power cable is 62 inches long.
• The camera is 6.74 ounces in weight. (camera only)
• The unit sleeps after 2 minutes of non use.
• Easy to mount the camera
• The unit also has a built in microphone to record sounds.
• Connectible to app for Apple IOS or Android operating systems.
• 4K 15FPS (3840x2160 resolution)
• 2.7K 30FPS (2704x1520 resolution)
• 1080P 30FPS (1920x1080 resolution)
• 1080P 60FPS (1920x1080 resolution)
• 720P 60FPS (1280x720 resolution)
• 720P 120FPS (1280x720 resolution)
• Plus slow motion
• SINGLE 16MP
• BURST UP TO 10/S
• CONTINUOUS 1/s, 1/5s, 1/10s, 1/15s, 1/30s, 1/60s
• Splash proof lens cover (included): IPX7 which is good for up to 1 meter of water submersion and rain for example.
• Dive Lens Cover (included): IPX8 (5ATM / 40 M / 131 feet per my calculations. You should note that using the dive cover also covers the microphone so the sound recording is blocked.
• Bluetooth Smart
• USB 3.0 (Batt-Stick) which you can plug into your computer to charge the unit or to transfer data to your computer and use the TomTom bandit computer app.
What's in the box?
• The camera itself
• Remote control
• Handlebar mount
• Dive lens cover for diving to 40 meters of water depth
• 360 degree rotating mount with pitch adjustment X 2
• power charging cable
• GoPro mounting adapter
• Flat mount X 2
• Short 5.5 inch Velcro, mounting strap or charging cable tie.
• Long 10 inch Velcro mounting strap
• Allen wrench
• TomTom Bandit user guide
• Microphone noise cancellation cover for taping while moving quickly.
Please note that my video does not show actual video outside even though I shot hours of video using it while hiking, talking and while my wife drove the car. I made that decision that you can see sample videos on the Internet in many locations and I felt my explanation of the products use and benefits is more important to a potential customer. I hope you agree. In my testing the video was a 10 star quality even while moving at 30 MPH in a car. It was HD quality.
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample but I stated that if I provided a review that it would be fair and honest.