Profile for J. M. Osborne > Reviews

Content by J. M. Osborne

J. M. Osborne (london)

Mousand Blackhead Remover Mask, 3 Steps Purifying Peel Off Mask, Activated Bamboo Charcoal Blackhead Exfoliators Deep Clean Mask Black Mud Pore Removal Strip Mask For Face Nose Acne Treatment
Offered by Mousand Trade

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure these reviews are entirely genuine, 27 Aug. 2017
I think a number of the reviews on this product may be bogus - one user even comments on a review, with their name on it, that they didn't write it!

Lipton Morocco Mint and Spices 20 Pyramid Teabags (Pack of 8, Total 160 Teabags)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it back Amazon!, 26 Sept. 2014
I love this tea and now Amazon has stopped offering it on Prime. Shame on you Amazon! Please bring it back.

Automatic LED Night Light Dusk 2 Dawn LED Sensitive, White, Plug in
Automatic LED Night Light Dusk 2 Dawn LED Sensitive, White, Plug in

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 April 2014
This is great. Great brightness. It lights up our hallway brilliantly to give a low light to let my 3 year old get to the bathroom at night. Great not having to switch on and off manually. I would definitely recommend. I would add, do not buy cheap alternatives. I did one, and it lasted about 3 days.

First Comes Death
First Comes Death

1.0 out of 5 stars if i could returnthis purchase i would, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: First Comes Death (Kindle Edition)
abysmal story no characterisation the author would recognise and clunky stilted dialogue. i gave it a star as 0 stars isn't an option. oh dear.

A Midsummer Night's Death (Oxford Children's Modern Classics)
A Midsummer Night's Death (Oxford Children's Modern Classics)
by K. M. Peyton

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 4 Nov. 2011
Not a very imaginative title for a review, but there you go. I read the previous review by chance, and thought it an incredible piece of personal abuse. The story is as follows: Jonathan Meredith, who you may already have met in 'prove yourself a hero' now attends a prestigious boarding school. One morning one of the masters is found dead - dead by drowning? or otherwise? Jonathan is reluctantly drawn into the drama, forcing him very much to become a part of his school community.
Whether you like the quality of the writing or not (see above review), this is quite a complex novel aimed at a teen market. KM Peyton in some ways took her inspiration for Jonathan Meredith from the character of Patrick Merrick, in Antonia Forrest's books about the Marlow family. He certainly shares any similar qualities, including a massive reluctance to join in, something that that as a teenager, I could sympathise with. In common with Antonia Forest, KM Peyton writes with a lovely denseness to her prose - there's no dumbing down at all, you have to work at the text to take it on. And when you do, it is a very rewarding read.
I don't particularly care that the author won a fiction prize, but I do care about good, well written and interesting books. Even 20 years later I can remember getting this book off the shelf at the library, and the enjoyment I got reading a few pages before taking it home to be devoured. I hope that other people give it a chance, and hopefully, enjoy!

Zest: Running Fit: A Complete Introduction to Running: Advice and Programmes to Get Fit for Running
by Jamie Baird

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped for, 28 Sept. 2006
I bought this book as a follow up to "Running Made Easy", which I had found amazing. I thought this might be as good - I have read Jamie Baird and enjoyed his magazine columns. But instead, I thought this was quite dry, and it didn't make me feel enthused or positive about running or wanting to run. It also seemed like a lot of information was crammed into a small book, and it felt like things were skimmed over.

If I'm honest, I also found the layout hard to read, the indexing hard-ish to follow, and that it hadn't been proof read very well, and needed a good subediting. So although its probably a good read, I wasn't wowed by it entirely.

Running Made Easy
Running Made Easy
by Susie Whalley

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has broken through all my barriers and taught me to run, 18 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Running Made Easy (Paperback)
I have never been able to run, and have always hated the fact. Being large of figure, the idea of pounding the pavements has been daunting. Nevertheless, I saw this book, for some reason bought it, and with much excitement and trepidation, tried the 10 week running plan they reccommend for all beginners. As of yesterday, I completed this plan, and can run (and walk) for 40 minutes or 5km, something I never saw myself doing in July. I can honestly say, this book has opened a sport to me, and I am mad, keen, and enthusiastic because of it! It breaks everything down into achievable steps, and by doing this, it's suceeded in converting me. Can't praise it enough!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 5:36 PM GMT