Profile for Gert Traysers > Reviews

Content by Gert Traysers

Gert Traysers

BAYS
BAYS

4.0 out of 5 stars because what Bays does have in spades is that great lolloping, funk infested, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: BAYS (Audio CD)
When i first heard Bays,i thought all the songs sounded very similar ,there didn`t seem to be the clearly identifiable song structures of the previous album Blackbird. However it may be that there is more to music than catchy songs ,because what Bays does have in spades is that great lolloping ,funk infested ,multi layered ,wave of sound that FFD do so well ,with a lightness of touch which makes the studio album sound almost live . I find it almost impossible to remain still when i`m listening to it ,i think it`s not too much of a stretch to say that if it`s playing and you go through over an hour of this Jazzy Dub funky soul wall of sound and you aren`t moving something, then perhaps someone should check your pulse .

Mens Soulstar Plain Denim Jacket
Mens Soulstar Plain Denim Jacket

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY PAY ANY MORE FOR A GREAT JACKET ?, 7 Feb. 2014
My idea with denim jackets is that they can look rather naff if they are pale blue and baggy , which is partly why i bought this one as it seemed to have a tailored fit,dark colour and very attractive stitching details.

I have a 40 inch chest and a 34 inch waist , i bought the large size and it fits me like a glove and matches my dark blue jeans.The jacket is very well designed and made , the denim is a good weight for a jacket and the metal buttons are grunty and work well.One interesting feature of this jacket is that it has two poachers pockets on each side of the inside of the jacket,very handy for extra stuff that you want safe and secure, so 8 pockets in all.However this jacket is currently going for 20 squid , so why wouldnt you ? when its the cost of a cheap denim shirt ? I am very happy with it .

Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Dogs?, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lightning Bolt (Audio CD)
Lost Dogs ?

Weighing in at just over 47 minutes, Lightning Bolt is an LP sized album. When I first heard it, my response was, "It's tight, muscular, polished but not over done, and stylistically eclectic". Also I wasn't sure that I liked it. It starts off with a hiss and a roar and ends with a warm fuzzy!

Side One (the first half of the album) comes jumping out of the speakers, puts a smile on your face and makes your boots raise the dust out of the carpet.

Side Two (the second half of the album) finds the band in the train station departing for several different musical destinations. The album is dedicated to Uncle Neil, whom I am presuming is the musical titan, Neil Young. This for me is perhaps the key to the eclecticism of the collection, since Mr Young is famous for going his own way and if you like it that's fine and if you don't that's fine too. So perhaps it's a question of are you up for a ride, come look out the window with us? Different departures can work well as long as they add to the album as a whole; however they can also run the risk of becoming an end in themselves, a musical cul de sac. With side two I am unsure as to whether some of the songs sound like studio out takes, something that may have surfaced on Lost Dogs perhaps. After four years I find myself looking for another ten minutes and the big hitter but it does not come.

Musically there's Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who and even the Black Keys and Crowded house in the mix with a Quadrophenia moment thrown in for good measure. The band are on fine form indeed. McCready's guitar is perhaps not so much to the forefront here but when it comes in it is tumbling, melting and dazzling, I particularly enjoyed the Entwistle like six string base on `My Father's Son'.

Thematically as usual, Pearl Jam have a crack at the big ones. There's death of course, although now he's not there as an antidote to a life not worth living, he's just coming anyway. Love and relationships are here, as well as guns, religion, fundamentalism, and the beleaguered planet itself with it's plastic seas and melting ice caps.

Pearl Jam in mid life, leaving me with a sense of its preciousness and precariousness, as they say "It's a fragile thing this life we lead - Time we best begin, here at the ending`.