Profile for Carol M Horne > Reviews

Carol M Horne

Superstretch Gloves - 5mm
Superstretch Gloves - 5mm
Offered by Northern Diver

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tough hard wearing gloves with titanium living, 7 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Superstretch Gloves - 5mm (Misc.)
Very good tough hard wearing gloves with titanium living. Gave me good service for 3 years diving all year round in UK. Fingertips now worn through. If you want control of your camera's little buttons etc, these gloves allow you that control, whereas thicker, reinforced, gloves are too cumbersome. A tad on the chilly side in -10C water but as all round pair of gloves very good

Stung!: On Jellyfish Blooms and the Future of the Ocean
Stung!: On Jellyfish Blooms and the Future of the Ocean

5.0 out of 5 stars stung, 31 Oct. 2013
brilliant! a must. eminently readable. if this doesn't open your eyes to what we're doing to the ocean nothing will. i found myself growing more and more fascinated with the alien world of jellyfish- and what their increasing impact on the world of humans forbodes.

Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
by Anna Funder

2.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 10 Aug. 2012
Although I share to a certain extent some of the reservations of other reviewers about the author's tendency to talk about apparent trivia, I feel I understand why she does. Unless you have been to East Berlin, I imagine it's hard to take in the grimness of the brownness and depressing spirit in ordinary everyday domestic details....I personally always shudder when I think of lino. I think these details act on a subconscious level to force the reader to compare and contrast the West with the East and its culture. I find her personal life intrudes very little and when the reader becomes aware of her, the author, and then returns to her interviews with these damaged souls she portrays so excellently (through their own accounts) it is possible to see how hard it must be to remain objective, and not emotionally bludgeon the reader into a judgemental position. Where the reader ultimately puts him or herself in that respect she leaves up to them. Personally, I still cannot grasp how the ex-Stasi members can remain unmolested (in the main) in their own communities...I respect how well she draws her own conclusion about these interviewees who, almost without exception, are still living with the wall in their hearts when she reflects, 'It is so hard to know what kind of mortgage our acts put on our future.' Most of us don't have to confront that truth to any great degree.

The Unnatural History of the Sea: The Past and Future of Humanity and Fishing (Gaia Thinking)
by Professor Callum Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 Aug. 2012
I came to this book after reading Sylvia Earle's books on Sea Change and Why the Planet is Blue....no guilt about plugging these at the same time. Eminently readable and full of historical flash back, putting the present era within the longer perspective. Callum Roberts also features in the DVD The End of the Line, and his cheery smiling face contrasts chillingly with and commensurately increases the import of his message. This book is a must read for all interested in marine life, the future of the oceans and the essential food chain within in. Fish are the basic food of a large proportion of the population of the planet; without fish the food crisis will enter nuclear proportions. The impact of factory fishing cannot be overstated - as a diver I'm always shocked when I enter the waters around the UK (Wales,usually) as I always feel 'something is missing'...it's the fish!! And not only the fish but the variety of life underwater....oh, and the startling increase in jellyfish. Can we eat these? And when you've read this, buy his next book, published this year - 'Ocean of Life'. I promise you if you have any capacity for reason you will listen to the science and concur that we need to act now. Informative and inspiring.

The Woman Before Me: International Bestseller. Shocking. Page-Turning. Intelligent. Psychological Thriller Series with Cate Austin (New Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars The Woman Before Me, 29 May 2012
Badly written and with a prurient underside this novel belongs with those pulp fiction novels that exploit a cast of characters that march woodenly through the pages and the plot. The readers imagination is either thoroughly dampened or left to roam unguided in areas scarecely mentioned. The writing style is irritating in its attempts to beguile the reader. If youn arelooking for an sensitive portrayal of this subject this novel is not for you.