Profile for Mr. B. D. Turner > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. D. Turner

Mr. B. D. Turner "ben turner" (London)

Half-Life 1: Anthology (PC DVD)
Half-Life 1: Anthology (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game, poor installation, 24 April 2007
Having played half-life a few years back, I decided to splash out a few quid on buying this compilation issue before looking into the sequel.

However, two hours after install I am annoyed that I have instead wasted my entire night of gaming trying to actually load the game. Regretably the "steam" software to allow you to play the game does not seem to function properly, and dsespite opening ports and disabling firewalls, nothing seems to be working and valve offer little useful support on there website beyond this.

No doub tthis problem will get sorted out via technical support e-mails in the long term, but this means I will have wasted two nights of gaming wrestling with there frustrating propriatory installation software. I can unserstand why others might find less legimate copies of this game simply to svoid this nightmare, because as a legitimate owner I seem unable to play the game I paid money for.

This frustration tempered by memories of how good this game was when it was easy to load averages out to a three star review.

Key of Destiny:	Age of Mortals Campaign, Vol.1 (Dragonlance)
Key of Destiny: Age of Mortals Campaign, Vol.1 (Dragonlance)
by Christopher Coyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Offers more than it delivers, 11 Oct. 2005
An early look through this module filled me with joy. Here was a good Dragonlance 3.5E module with plenty of colour and variety to entice my players, both vetrans and newcomers, to the new edition of D&D and the world of Dragonlance. Having little experience with the new setting - my reading stopped with the original trilogies - I quickly got up to speed with the material and kept my reading of the module a couple of steps ahead of me playing it.
This may of been my first error, as the amount of detail and bredth for moving players between chapters is somewhat lacking. Lots of the plot movements are conducted by visions or involuntary encounters that make the players feel like they are being led by the nose far too much. I had to engineer the material to a degree to make my players feel like that had some sort of options at each chapter point, and then quickly steer them back towards the single linear option thay actually had on the off chance they strayed from the path. Another complaint is the amount of mistakes - trivial in many ways, but make sure you get the Errata from the website, which fixes the worst 80% of ommisions and mistakes.
That said, the module does provide good colour and interesting encounters in the areas the players are guided to, and presents a wide variety of landscapes and adventuring for the players to absorb the full range of player skills in. Nighttime, desert heat, dungeon crawls and multi-day treks all get a look in during the first few chapters. Rare is it that a PC can level up twice in the same environment ! This doesn't give a lot of ground for running good Knight / Wizard of High Sorcery trials within though - the momentum is too fast paced to do more than a quick job, and most of my newer players have little interest in these classes as a result. I feel this is a shame, as these two classes are what makes dragonlance the different and fascinating campaign environment it is.
Overall, mixed feelings, but with some pre-planning and work a good DM should be able to mould this into a less linear and more open feeling campaign. I am certainly intrigued to see if the next two books will open up the story to the players more, helping them understand the somewhat random feeling occurances of their early adventures. If so then this could make for an excellent Epic campaign. Still one of the best 3.5E modules I've played, but not the best D&D module I've seen.

Talkie Walkie
Talkie Walkie
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars The first 30 seconds were certainly good..., 8 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Talkie Walkie (Audio CD)
An excellent thrid release from Air was marred for me by the inclusion of "copy control" technology. I was only able to play the first 30 seconds of each song before my computer CD player stopped. I have been told this is due to the disc not meeting the "CD" (Sony / Phillips) standard, but rather EMI's new disc "standard" ?
Having heard the full album on a friends machine, I can highly recommend the music contained on the disc - it is just a shame I am unable to play it on my chosen sound system. If only as much thought had been given to the disc formatting as to the songs contained on the disc.

Essential Johnny Cash (Ltd)
Essential Johnny Cash (Ltd)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good tracklist, but what's with the bleeps, 7 Jun. 2004
As a guy who has always dabbled at best with real Americana, folk and country music, I am always on the look out for the good collections and best ofs... rather than trying to collect an artists entrie works.
Hence, whilst looking for a good Johnny Cash collection, I cam across this album at quite a reasonable price. The track listing comtains most of the songs I am familiar with, only missing one or two I've heard on other collections, and seemed to be a good first cut of JC's catalog.
However, one feature of the album has put me off really loving this collection, and that being the censoring of certain words ! Especially odd when you consider what is left uncensored in other modern albums of our time. The bleep's in "boy named Sue" and other tracks just seem really out of place, and ruin the otherwise energetic fire of the live recordings. I'll be looking out for another compilation, and making sure it has a "parent advisory warning" on it
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 10:53 AM GMT

Hey Gravity
Hey Gravity
Offered by Music-Finder

5.0 out of 5 stars Good thumping indie/rock athemn, 14 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Hey Gravity (Audio CD)
An excellent first release which could easily become an indie party staple, given enough exposure. It sounds like PJ Harvey singing along to the guiter rythmns of the Strokes, and is a sheer uplifting joy to listen to.
One of those Indie tunes that remind you why Pop is so bland and guitars rock. Plus with vocals this good, you know there could be more than one album on the horizon.

The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set]
The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set]
by Brian Sibley

4.0 out of 5 stars 7 Fantasy Classics, 4 Jan. 2002
Tolikiens work is undeniably great, but like at things, will not suit everyone. In places, the works are more about style, prose and character's surrondings than fast paced plot.
This leads the reader to to live through the characters lives, come much closer to feeling what they feel and become more immersed into Tolkiens fantasy world as the novels progress.
But for anyone who found the film too long, finds themself skim-reading pages or enjoys browsing ahead in books to see where the next exciting chapter comes, this book will be a dissapointment. The characters names are spelt quite similarly in places, so to the casual reader this may confuse (although, "100 years of solitude " is far more guilty of this than any of Tolkien's works, and it still remains a classic too)
Read it before or after the film, but don't skim it, READ it, and enjoy one of the finest author's of our time

Hard To Explain
Hard To Explain
Offered by crucialmusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Short sharp perfect rock makes a comeback, 8 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Hard To Explain (Audio CD)
The stokes - hyped to the max (maybe even over-hyped, I admit !) But either way, this is an excellent signle of an excellent album. With the energy and punch of the Pixies (think "Alison") and the distorted vocal styles typical to the strokes, you get a perfect sound.
Why 4 stars ? Because although it's great, it's not the BEST song ever released in this style. Also, why buy the single, when you could own the whole album ?!
A welcome return of great rock music in a bleak pop dominated landscape

Two
Two

3.0 out of 5 stars Utah Saints style has evolved to keep up with the times, 27 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Two (Audio CD)
I liked this album as my as I liked the original album when I brought it. The difference now, of course, is where most of the old albums tracks have dated and even become the source of some ridicule (I'm think "Utah Saints" unplugged sketches here...), where as the new songs have shown the Uaht Saints have kept up with modern dance trends, producing an album with a modern, although maybe not progressive, sound.
The tracks themselves are all fairly good - although "Lost Vagueness" does stand out as the best (almost up there with Underworld's "Dirty Epic" in my "good night driving tunes for coming down from a night out" !)
But overall nothing else is completley _outstanding_ here, but nothing is that terrible (except the 1 min throwaway Rhinoceros...) so you get a good all round album for your money. Hence I felt 3 stars (but so almost 4...)
Ben Turner

Max Payne (PC CD)
Max Payne (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bullet time is amazing - bu that doesn't mean the GAME is !, 21 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
It's all beem said below - so here is a "summary review".
Bullet-time / plot / range and balance of bad guys and guns : all very good
Let downs : poor AI, very linear frustrating levels (oh - another locked door I can't go through !)
Some very original level ideas (drugged sequences, an excellent night club to fight in, and an arson attack) make this game good to play through the first time - but after then your down to just "predictable enemys to kill in bullet-time". Mind you, I still enjoy killing predicatble enemys in Bullet-time (yes - it IS like the matrix) - especailly as a good head shot verses body shot can make all the difference to your damage, so it gets 4 stars for me :)