Profile for Ali > Reviews

Content by Ali

Ali

PetsN'all 4-Way Locking Pet Door Kit Cats & small Dogs Indoor/Outdoor Dog Door Cat Door 7.9 x 2.2 x 7.6"
Offered by Deals_Republic

2.0 out of 5 stars if like us, this leads into a main room, 23 April 2017
Flap stays open after use (as in, at the angle of the main picture), meaning draughts are now a huge problem. The red and green switches are ridiculously hard to adjust and the flap has to be sitting dead centre to adjust them.

When properly shut, it doesn't flap around in windy weather and it was cheap, hence the 2 stars rather than 1. So I would say this is okay as a cheap solution for for a utility room or other similar area. But, if like us, this leads into a main room, it is false economy.

iPhone 7 Case, ESR Henna Mandala Floral Designer Hard Shell Case [Clear Back Cover, Slim Fit, TPU Border] Flowers Printed Thin Cute Design Vintage Retro Style for Girly Girls Women 2016 Apple iPhone 7 4.7"(Lace Ice Flower)
Offered by ESR Case EU Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance of protection/attractiveness, 21 April 2017
Really attractive - offers good protection whilst letting the phone colour/design show through and is neither bulky nor flimsy. All edges are protected right up to the screen without affecting buttons/ports. I also use a tempered glass screen protector - have had a couple of drops and not a scratch. Very happy, would recommend. I have had an iPad cover from the same seller for about a year and am also happy with that, so this is definitely a brand I'll return to again.

easyDigital® CLEAR WALLET FLIP TPU SILICONE GEL CASE COVER FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 & SCREEN PROTECTOR (Galaxy S6 Wallet Gel, Clear)
Offered by EASYDIGITAL

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be 4 stars, except that a design fault means charger port is a fraction too small, 30 May 2015
PROS
-This is a simple and cheap case which showcases the S6, rather than bundling it up in opaque materials.
-It offers all-over protection, as opposed to other cases that leave half-corners and sides exposed.
-The headphone jack, camera, sensors, speakers and volume buttons are all free and accessible.
-The front cover uses static to stay closed, so the cover doesn't sit open at an angle or swing open *too* easily
-The screen can be used to an acceptable level through the cover (although not the fingerprint unlock).
-Phone is easy to remove from the cover (important when considering the charger issue below).

CONS
-***The all-over protection is a little overdone because the gap for the charger is a fraction too small for the stock charger to sit flush. It did charge, but also stopped at the slightest touch. Evidence of poor product testing (or different sized chargers in different countries?).*** It's too fiddly to widen by cutting, so I've stretched it a bit and it's better but not perfect. Maybe if I had a wireless charger this wouldn't bother me as much. I also can't dock it on my Phillips Bluetooth speaker (although all-over scratch protection wins out here).
-The way my case sits, the power button is a little restricted and you have to get it from a certain angle.
-The clear version I bought is not clear at the back, but semi-transparent white. This was not apparent to me from the pictures.
-The case won't offer much shock protection. I've paired it with a tempered glass screen protector and plan to get one for the back too.

If the manufacturers address the charger port issue and make the tiny adjustment needed (or if you have the tools to do it yourself) I would definitely recommend this item.

Nillkin Sparkle Leather Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S6 - Golden (Retail Packaging)

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend, 28 May 2015
This had decent reviews elsewhere, but I'm sending it back as I think it looks cheap and doesn't offer screen protection. The cover doesn't sit flush to the front of the phone, but flaps around at a 45 degree angle with no closure such as a magnet to keep it shut. The corners are all half exposed. Also the s view features don't work through the plasticky window. The 'sparkle leather' cover is very thin and cardboard-like and the design looks more like fine sandpaper painted with gold paint. There is no 'sparkle' at all.

Positives - The rear of the cover is quite nice, a good match for the gold s6, although more of a rose gold. It fits well and the phone feels secure. The front folds all the way round so it is comfortable to use.

For the price of £13 though I wouldn't recommend it if you want secure protection. I have opted instead for a case that snaps shut and a tempered glass screen protector, which both together cost less than this sub-standard Shenzhen product.

Urbanz ZIP Childrens Kids Multi-Device Stereo Headphones (Green)
Urbanz ZIP Childrens Kids Multi-Device Stereo Headphones (Green)
Offered by SORK-LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to Leapfrog headphones, 6 Jan. 2014
My 4yo son got a Leapster Explorer GS for Christmas and as we travel to see family a lot thought headphones would be a nice addition. The reviews of the Leapfrog headphones were poor, so after some searching I came across these.
They are perfect and we're very pleased. My son has a large head (I buy him 7-9yo hats) and on almost the smallest setting these fit perfectly. On my younger son they still sit nicely and on their largest setting they fit an adult and are very comfy. The metal band is very robust, with the rubber band to sit against the head and make them comfy. Adjusting them is very easy and smooth. I tested them myself and they sound great (I have the bass turned up on my device and the sound was very rich and much better than with the Sony in-ear headphones that came with my device). I like the cord, as because it is coiled means that my son pulling away or dropping his system etc. would not result in the cable pulling out roughly - an important feature for kids headphones I think. As a bonus, the colour is very bright and eyecatching - they match the Leapfrog console perfectly. I would recommend these to any child or teen (or woman or small-headed man!).

XStunt Marble Race Deluxe Junior Starter Edition includes 29pcs (14 building pcs and 15 marbles)

3.0 out of 5 stars A great way to test the water, 15 Nov. 2012
As any parent with a house full of broken/unused toys and an empty bank balance will know, you get to the point where buying new things sometimes comes with a free dose of pessimism.
A marble run for my little boy though was something I really wanted to try out though. But problems were: cost, how long would the set stay complete, marbles + younger baby brother.

I needent have worried. He loves it, it is still in one piece and it is his 'baby's nap time toy'. I have purchased the Galt Super Marble Run as a result. For a fiver this was a great way to test the water.

As a marble run in it's own right? If your child is old enough to grasp this then it's small size does not offer enough possibilites to keep it fresh and exciting for long. If they are younger, then the tiny non-standard marbles that look like bubble gum balls would be a hazard. Add to that, this is a cheap set. The pieces don't fit together perfectly and the marbles often fly off before the end. If you build it as shown in the picture it is nice and stable though).

To me it is no more than a trial set, for those who don't have friends with sets to road test. And the quality doesn't make me want to buy the full kit. But it's done it's job and made a little boy happy, now to be even happier when he gets his huge Galt set.

Disney Mickey Mouse Transparent PVC Back Lunch Bag Kit
Disney Mickey Mouse Transparent PVC Back Lunch Bag Kit
Offered by Beautifeye

4.0 out of 5 stars My little boy loves it, 15 Nov. 2012
Gave my 3yo choice of 4 and he picked this one, for preschool.
Came today and he loves it. It has a transparent back which some reviewers elsewhere on Amazon don't like, but I don't have any strong feeling about it, it looks fine.
The bag is lovely quality with a handle.
I can't comment on the bottle as my son's preschool provide water or milk in cups and I don't like cheap plastic sports bottles anyway. It seems Poundland quality-ish to be honest. I plan to fill that space with a small insulated food box.
The catch on the box is a little tricky but also feels a bit flimsy. My heavy handed son has already become annoyed at it and had a good haul at it. However the box contains a tray, offering a small top compartment, perfect to pop a couple of oat cakes or a rice cake in for his morning snack.
Overall i am happy with the purchase and the price. Wouldn't have paid more (I paid £8, it is allegedy worth £12)

Android Photography: A Guide to Mobile Creativity
Android Photography: A Guide to Mobile Creativity
by Jolie O'Dell

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too much about online sharing, 9 May 2012
After a run down of some good camera phones, this book moves onto some basic photography tips which I found quite useful. However I am an amateur! I didn't find that the tips were specific to shooting from a camera phone, which surely is the point of this book??
The book briefly discusses a fair number of photo editing apps, aimed at special effects rather than taking a good photo first time. I thought that discussing one or two apps in greater depth would have been more useful, as I'm no further forward on how to make the most of them, I just have a load of app names knocking around my head now! For instance she describes the first app reviewed as the best, yet it only gets a paragraph or two! They show photos edited with the app, but next to what settings were used it just states 'custom'. So what have I learned that I couldn't learn by searching the app market and using trial and error?!
As mentioned in the title if my review, a great portion of the book goes into sharing photos and videos online, licensing advice, writing blogs etc. Completely useless to me as I just wanted to take better photos with my phone. I understand that sharing is a large part of modern life, however the title or description of the book didn't lead me to believe that almost half of this small, text-light book would be tailored for online socialisers and bloggers.
In summary, if you are a beginner and what you want is to take photos, edit them in arty and often cliched ways, then post them to various online Communities then this book is for you. However it's nothing you can't find out online for free, so I wouldn't pay £6.79 again, let alone the full RRP of £9.99.

Dirt Devil  DUC015 1900-Watt Bagless Upright With Turbo Brush, Hard Floor Brush and Anti Allergy Brush
Dirt Devil DUC015 1900-Watt Bagless Upright With Turbo Brush, Hard Floor Brush and Anti Allergy Brush

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after just over a year, 3 Oct. 2011
This was recommended to us and was on sale. I loved that the handle folded down as it meant we could store the hoover under the stairs. It is reasonably lightweight (but not cheap feeling) with lots of attachments and did the job. A general problem with it is that it doesn't have a release switch to go from standing to angled for use, it just falls back when you pull it. From that point of view it isn't safe to have around kids unless you have a cupboard to store it in.

Just over a year later the suction had started seriously deteriorating despite us looking after and maintaining the filters, drivebelt etc. well. Finally it just went beserk, melted through a drivebelt and the roller brush stopped turning as 2 parts had melted together slighty. Also the on/off switch had become intermittent (perhaps this was caused by the the folding handle feature affecting the wiring?).

Dirt Devil customer services were uninterested as we'd had it for (just) over a year and said our only option was to arrange a service technician. Hardly worth it for a hoover that cost us £60! I was aware that there was only a year's warranty, so had actually only phoned to order a replacement roller brush, but their spares department basically only sell filters and attachments. So they were trying to get me to pay for a service technician, yet claiming they didn't carry the part I needed?! Somehow I wasn't going to agree to that. So the hoover is now a write-off after 13 months. Great!

Obviously this is potentially a one-off, so for anyone still considering this hoover, get an extended warranty if available just in case! And if it hadn't broken I would've given it 4 out of 5.