Profile for Housey > Reviews

Housey

12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better than a Caveman
12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better than a Caveman

4.0 out of 5 stars An opposing opinion to paleo, 24 Feb. 2014
Although I have never followed the paleo diet, I have been termpted. Last summer I decided to significantly reduce the dairy in my diet (to improve my skin), and at the same time, after reading a lot about GI eating, I also cut down the amount of carbs that I was feeding to my family.

During this time my daughter was suffering from a lot of stomach aches, and following a visit to the dentist, I was told that my children's teeth were not in their usual excellent condition. I originally put this down to me supervising their brushing less, but now I am wondering if it was down to us eating less carbs than usual. I am only thankful that I didn't carry on with this for longer.

So for all you Paleo followers, please read this book. I am a firm believer that you should always consider both sides of the argument - no-one really knows enough about healthy eating. I think my mum's approach of, 'everything in moderation', is what I will follow from now on, as I can truly say that before I started researching healthy eating I was much healthier.

Diet Recovery 2: Restoring Mind and Metabolism from Dieting, Weight Loss, Exercise, and Healthy Food (Diet Recovery Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Matt Stone book, 24 Feb. 2014
I have read quite a few of Matt Stone's books and feel that this one gives the most comprehensive insight to all of his work. Matt suggests that the current obsession with diets is what is in fact causing a great deal of obesity. I must admit, as a scientifically minded person, his theories make a lot of sense to me.

Last year, there was a time where I over exercised and made myself ill. This book has made me realise how this happened, and following its principles, I have recovered again. I even started to suffer from Raynaud's syndrome, which I had not had for 20 years, since I was a teenager. When I mentioned this to my GP, I was told that Raynaud's syndrome never goes away and that it just sometimes goes into remission. After following Matt's suggestions for increasing my metabolism, my Raynaud's has gone again, along with my chronic sinus infections. Great book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2014 10:36 AM BST

Food Ninjas: How to Raise Kids to be Lean, Mean, Eating Machines
Food Ninjas: How to Raise Kids to be Lean, Mean, Eating Machines

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 24 Feb. 2014
This book explores the idea of allowing children to eat what they want, the idea being that they will binge on 'bad' foods and then eventually the novelty will wear off, and the child will chose a more balanced diet. Whilst I agree with this in principle, I am not sure if I am brave enough to try it out in practice. I have, however decided to be less concerned over my kids diet, and instead encourage them to eat a plentiful supply of all types of food.

Eat for Heat: The Metabolic Approach to Food and Drink
Eat for Heat: The Metabolic Approach to Food and Drink

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Feb. 2014
Matt Stone's books turn much of standard nutritional theory on its head. I have never dieted and consequently have always had a stable weight, however last year I started to train for a long cycle tour. Unfortunately I didn't eat enough. I was keeping a close eye on my weight, and because I wasn't losing weight, I thought I didn't need to eat much more than normal. All was well for about 6 months, but then I started to hate the thought of riding my bike, I became irritable and moody, and when I stopped exercising I ended up catching sinus infections back to back for about 5 months.

I stumbled across Matt's work and read it with interest. It made sense to me that I had been depriving my body of nutrients and that I had made myself ill. I then decided to stuff myself with carbs and have gradually recovered to a point where I am no longer ill, much happier, but unfortunately 10lbs heavier - I may have overdone it slightly but I feel so much better. I will never again do endurance exercise without the proper amount of 'fuel'.

Hypoglycemia: What It Is, What It Isn't, and How to Fix the Root Problem
Hypoglycemia: What It Is, What It Isn't, and How to Fix the Root Problem

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting contrary opinion, 24 Feb. 2014
I have read some of Matt Stone's other books, and I have to say, yet again this one is very interesting. It explains how the body utilises sugar and carbs, and how this can have a myriad of implications on health.

My daughter used to have a lot of problems with incontinence when she was very small. She would often guzzle a large cup of juice and then need to wee four or five times within the following hour. I was told by doctors that she needed to drink more water because she was slightly constipated. I now know, from reading this book, that her body was crashing and she really needed more sugar and less water. I wish I had know this years ago.

Diet Recovery: Restoring Hormonal Health, Metabolism, Mood, and Your Relationship with Food (Diet Recovery Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 Dec. 2013
This book gives excellent insight into why dieting can be so damaging for health. However, it goes further than this by explaining how to increase your metabolism to enable your body to function properly again, and probably lead to weight loss.

I always thought I was quite healthy until about a year ago I increased my exercise quite substantially to train for a cycling event. I have never caught so many colds and been so under the weather as during this time. Now I understand why.

Read this book, and the way you think of food and diets will be turned on its head. Your health will most likely improve too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2016 10:31 AM BST

Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments
Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments

1.0 out of 5 stars works well but only for 6 months, 31 July 2012
I was delighted with this epilator when I first bought it, but after 6 months I had to send it back because it would not hold its charge and was running very slow. Braun gave me a brand new one, but that too failed after 6 months - same problem. This time the service technician actually phoned me, and told me that it wasn't the battery that had failed - the epilator head had seized. He said that they all seize if you use them wet even if you are very careful about cleaning them.

I then used the epilator dry and it lasted longer before it seized, but only a few months - so much for a wet and dry epilator.

Also, I was told that the guarantee is only valid from the date of the initial purchase so they will not keep replacing the unit even though it keeps failing.

Do not buy it - it will be a total waste of your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 11:11 AM BST