Profile for K. Carter > Reviews

Content by K. Carter

K. Carter "Book Worm" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Hama Upto Fashion 24 CD/DVD Nylon Wallet - Violet
Hama Upto Fashion 24 CD/DVD Nylon Wallet - Violet

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight DVD case.., 24 July 2014
Light and small enough to go into hand luggage or a suitcase..

Heather Angel's Wild Kew
Heather Angel's Wild Kew
by Heather Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars The photography in Heather's book is amazing and very creative, 24 July 2014
The photography in Heather's book is amazing and very creative. This is not a photography book although Heather gives some brief photo tips. The main focus of the book is on the wildlife and plants she has photographed at Kew Gardens, and she gives factual information about the bird/animal or plant in her photographs. I had the pleasure of attending a photography course run by Heather at Kew Gardens a few months ago, and her pleasure and enthusiasm for what she does is so obvious, which shows in this book.

Personalised Black Apron - Makes A Perfect For The Chef In The Kitchen!
Personalised Black Apron - Makes A Perfect For The Chef In The Kitchen!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 24 July 2014
I was very disappointed by the whole process of ordering an apron from this company e.g. poor communication by the seller, and even more disappointed when the item arrived. The apron is made of a cheap fabric and the personalised wording on it very tiny, and likely to come off in the first wash. I have now ordered a similar item from somewhere else.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow..., 26 Jun. 2014
I was feeling frustrated by my lack of understanding of the fundamentals of LR e.g. where photos are stored.. even though I had attended a few hours workshop on LR for beginners the tutor failed to take into account that we did not know that LR works like a library catalogue with the originals stored elsewhere. Myself & the other newbies really struggled to understand where the originals were.. and we never really got beyond this!

I bought this book to educate me about the basics.. before I threw LR in the bin.. I have not been disappointed, as Scott Kelby explains the basics of LR, from the start, and finally I understand how LR works e.g. where original photos are kept, and the significance of storing them in the one place (folder) on your hard drive (or external hard drive).. which now means I can put my energy into reading the remainder of the book, and learning how to make the best of LR and the wonders it has to offer. I especially enjoy Scott's little digressions, and his sense of humour.. which makes the book more enjoyable... the examples he gives are very helpful as well.. definitely worth a look..

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac) [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac) [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & Engaging..., 26 Jun. 2014
Initially I felt very frustrated by LR, as I struggled to understand where the photos were stored.. that unlike iPhoto (which I used previously), the original photo is not actually in the LR programme itself... When the penny finally dropped I started a lengthy process of relocating photos from iPhoto to a new home on my hard drive, as in my experience iPhoto does not seem to be compatible with LR.. I then began to understand just how important the location of original photos is to using LR. Now all my new photos are downloaded to this new home, where LR knows where to find them.. & backed up of course.

I now understand the significance of the ? mark, which will appear if LR cannot locate the original photo, because you may have moved it! Once you understand these 'crucial' basics the rest seems straightforward.. and now I am looking forward to learning how to use LR to its full potential..

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little gizmo, 25 May 2014
The quality of the remote is excellent.. its small & compact.. & importantly it does the job.. worth the price..

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply to screen, 13 Jan. 2014
Unlike the annoying anti scratch protectors for iPhones this LCD screen protector was so simple to put onto the screen. The instructions were also very straight forward, and the protector went on first time.. Its been in place for a while now and not one edge has started to lift.. the protector does not distort the image on the screen.. I would highly recommend this product..

David Busch's Close-Up and Macro Photography Compact Field Guide (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides)
by David Busch
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 13 Jan. 2014
The book does just what it said it does.. provide clear and essential information about close up photography.. in a book small enough to carry around in your bag or camera bag, and is handy as a reference book when out photographing. I also love the coloured photos which are provided as examples of the point being made.. makes it all the easier to take on board.. I would recommend this book for people like me, who still have a lot to learn about what makes a good photo.. from the technical side to the composition..

How to Design Bead & Wire Jewellery
How to Design Bead & Wire Jewellery
by Renata Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures & Instructions, 19 Sept. 2013
The photography in this book is amazing, and are really useful when reading the instructions.. The instructions are easy to follow...

Floortex Ultimat Polycarbonate Chair Mat for Low/Medium Pile Carpets up to 12mm Thick, 119cm x 89cm, Rectangular, Clear (FC118923ER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 19 Sept. 2013
I was a little put off by some of the reviews I read before purchasing my mat, but decided to take the chance anyway. I am glad I did as it is exactly what I needed. I have a very heavy Captain's Chair on castors, and it rolls very smoothly over the mat, and does not sink into it. Previously it was leaving deep indents in the carpet. Although the mat has little plastic knobs on the underneath, these do not damage the carpet. I would strongly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2