Profile for Remus > Reviews

Merkur & Dovo Open Tooth Comb Travel Razor
Merkur & Dovo Open Tooth Comb Travel Razor
Offered by Solretail LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully small and light travel razer, 12 Sept. 2017
I used the Merkur closed comb travel razor with cheap blades for over a year's travelling some time ago and absolutely loved it. Since then I've moved on to a Merkur Futur razor and Feather blades, taking the Futur with me when I've gone travelling, but I now want something smaller and lighter. I've never used an open comb razor before but I have no fear of the blade and this one was on sale far cheaper than the closed comb version.

The design is magnificent. The handle unscrews into two sections, one fits inside the other, and the way the head sits inside the pouch means the blade cannot touch the leather and get blunt, a problem with the travel pouch for the Futur.

Unfortunately I find it isn't nearly aggressive enough for my shaving style. It has a very narrow blade gap, and I've noticed before that Feather blades tend to glide over my beard rather than cut through it with a narrow gap (the Futur has an adjustable gap and I need to open it up to 4 or 5 with Feather blades, but the Futur razor is a very different shape and weight so comparisons like this might not be valid). I tried it with a cheap Derby blade and, although this didn't seem any better at least it was no worse. I've taken to unscrewing the head a little to open the gap and now at least it cuts through my beard, but it isn't designed for use like this and I'm a little wary of the head being loose. It'll be okay for travelling but it's no replacement for the Futur.

For the record I always shave in the shower and almost always with a shaving oil (King of Shaves Sensitive) - something I'd heartily recommend to anyone who wants to be clean shaven - but I have also tried this razor with shaving soap immediately after a shower and noticed no difference.

Mason Pearson Pocket Pure Bristle Brush
Mason Pearson Pocket Pure Bristle Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars B4: The perfect travel brush, 12 Sept. 2017
I've had a Mason Pearson B1M large military pure bristle brush for over 10 years, easily the best brush I've ever owned. Apart from losing a few bristles round the edges from serious abuse being squashed into rucksacs for travelling, it is still in perfect shape and will probably last me the rest of my days (I am a man in my 50s).
I bought the B4 not so much to spare the B1M the abuse when travelling but because I wanted something smaller. I wasn't sure if such a small brush would be up to coping with my long hair, but does so admirably. It's far smaller in area and the bristles are shorter, so brushing my hair takes a little longer, but the bristle density appears to be the same and - most importantly - the bristles are just as stiff so they tease their way through the tangles where cheap brushes either snag or simply glide over the top.
One curious discovery, it being so long since I've used a brush with a handle, the handle allows a lot more force so I find I pull my hair more, which probably isn't doing it any good. I'll maybe start holding it like the military brush and ignore the handle.

GoGrip Glasses Cord (Black)
GoGrip Glasses Cord (Black)
Offered by GoOpticians

5.0 out of 5 stars The best glasses cord I've found, 30 July 2017
I'm now buying a second cord as I've mislaid my first (I only use a cord when out on the water). Having tried many glasses cords over the years, I'll not go back to anything else

Noctua for PC
Noctua for PC
Offered by NOCTUA - Designed in Austria

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful but quiet cooler in a tiny space, 11 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Noctua for PC (Personal Computers)
I have a Corsair 250D case with about 140 mm height for a cooler. I looked at plenty before settling on this one, and once I had fitted it wondered what made me take so long to choose - this performs far better than ever I had expected and doesn't get in the way of anything. It clears RAM and all motherboard connectors, and in my case the optical drive as well with about 30 mm to spare.

It also cools well. I want a quiet system so I have used the noise reduction cable and have my case fans set on fairly low speeds. One case fan and the U9S fan are off altogether till 50C, and I don't go above 50% on any fan till 65C CPU temp. I've an i5 6600k running at 4.3 GHz at +40 mV with 2800 MHz 2.5 V DDR4; stress testing only causes tiny peaks over 70C before the fans kick in and keep it in the mid-60s, very quiet. I've tried it at 4.4 GHz and It will run cool and stable but with higher fan speeds, and I prefer the quiet.

ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC S1151 M-ITX Intel Motherboard
ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC S1151 M-ITX Intel Motherboard
Offered by MoreFrom

4.0 out of 5 stars A good board with a few niggles, 11 Dec. 2016
This is a high-spec mini-ITX motherboard, but it also comes at a high price, so it doesn't rate 5 stars just because its packed with features. It just makes its shortcomings more noticeable.

Several reviewers elsewhere have pointed out the lack of 7.1 analogue audio out. It has a 7.1 HD audio chip, so why only 3 jacks on the back?

More important to me, and I suspect many users, is the case fan control. One of the reasons I bought this motherboard was because it had two case fan headers. Unfortunately only one of them has 3-pin control, and if you plug a 3-pin fan into the other it runs at full speed. Fortunately for me the CPU fan header has 3-pin control and I have a 4-pin CPU fan, so I've swapped the leads over. The fans are fully configurable in both UEFI and the F-Stream Tuning app supplied with the board, but the default is for chassis fans to use motherboard temperature so you have to make sure to change it so the CPU fan uses CPU temperature (I use CPU temperature for all three). I have made careful note of my fan settings, saved them in Windows and also saved a UEFI profile with just the fan settings.

The next little gripe is memory. I don't know how much of this is down to ASRock or whether the same is to be expected of any Z170 motherboard, but it requires quite a lot of manual tweaks to get faster memory (3000 and above) to work. I have G.Skill TridentZ F4-3000C15D-16GTZB, not because I particularly wanted memory this fast, but it was a little cheaper than the 2400 MHz sticks I had previously thought of buying. This memory is listed in ASRock's memory support list for this motherboard. Now, ASRock are clear that any memory faster than 2166 needs to be set manually in UEFI, which is easy enough to do by selecting XMP. However for 3000 MHz, this isn't enough; you also need to manually set VCCIO and VCCSA (1.10 and 1.15 respectively worked for me). Furthermore, once you have set your memory speed the very useful F-Stream OC Tweaker is pretty much guaranteed to freeze on any subsequent change. In the end I have reverted to 2800 MHz and 2.5 V with VCCIO and VCCSA set to Auto, and incidentally found I could then lower the CPU voltage from what I needed at 2166 and 2.0 V. My CPU is running at 4.3 GHz (43 x 100 MHz) and Offset 40 mV. It is very stable and quiet.

Finally a positive. The CMOS reset button on the back panel is a godsend. Why don't all high end motherboards have this?

Corsair CC-9011047-WW Obsidian Series 250D Windowed Mini-ITX Performance Computer Case - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars 250D - Practically Perfect In Every Way, 11 Dec. 2016
This is a fantastic little case. it is well-built, robust and fits together perfectly. You cannot quite build your computer without needing a screwdriver, but you won't need it often with this case. The stock fans are quiet (provided your motherboard can speed-control 3-pin fans) and the small size means the air easily gets where it's needed without needing to worry about keeping cables out of the way. The graphics card pulls air in through its own vent - and my card seems to eject it that way as well (one fan in, the other fan out) so the case fans don't need to cool the GPU. Sure, if you want to do extreme overclocking or if you have a high ambient temperature you may well look at water-cooling, but I'm running an i5 6600K at 4.3 GHz using a Noctua U9S cooler and it only gets above 70 degrees briefly before the fans kick in, and mostly sits in the low-to-mid 60s during stress testing with the three fans running at half speed almost silently. 4.3 GHz is fast enough for me. I can control all three fans separately but you wouldn't miss much by connecting the two case fans together to run off the same motherboard fan header. In fact I see little point in replacing the stock fans unless you want 4-pin PWM control, and increasing the size of the front fan or adding 80 mm rears seems unnecessary.

A few words about dimensions. This is a large mini-ITX case sold on the basis of being able to fit in full-sized components, but there is full-sized and FULL-SIZED. You cannot get everything that's made into a Corsair 250D!

CPU Cooler.
The official spec is max height 95 mm. This is rubbish. It is about 143 mm to the plastic window which covers almost all the motherboard area, but if your cooler reaches right to the front or back of the motherboard you will have about 5 mm less as the edges of the window hang lower. To be safe don't choose anything higher than 135 mm. Area is a little harder to define as this depends on where the CPU is on your motherboard and what else you intend to fit, particularly an optical drive. I have an optical drive 170 mm long (though its advertised as 165), and I have over 30 mm clearance between it and the Noctua U9S on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard. There's 163 mm between the back of my optical drive and inside lip of the case backplate. In all honesty, if you are looking for a good air cooler for this case it's very hard to see beyond the Noctua U9S.

Graphics Card:
Here we're into trickier territory. The spec says 290 mm long, which is correct as the distance between the top lips on the front and back plates. However graphics card manufacturers don't always include the mounting bracket in their overall lengths - my own card is 300 mm long overall but is listed by the manufacturer as 285 mm. It fits - just - but I need to remove the front fan to be able to angle the card enough to get it in through the top. You could possibly go very slightly longer - I have seen 305 mm mentioned - but this depends on the other dimensions and how the edges are bevelled.
Width may be more of a problem with today's monster graphics cards. My own card is 133 mm, measured from the outer edge of the motherboard connector (which is how the manufacturer measures it - the I/O shield sticks out beyond this by 15 mm). This is the absolute maximum width and I wouldn't advise trying to fit anything bigger than 130 mm because of the power connector. In my machine the wires are badly crushed by the optical drive bracket, but if this weren't fitted they'd catch on the lid, possibly incurring more damage. It works, but it isn't pretty.
Thickness. Only a fool would try to fit a 2.5 slot card into a mini-ITX case but, just for the record, 57 mm thick (including backplate - without a backplate the maximum thickness might be 55 mm) presses tight up against the inside of the side plate with no room for the filter. 2 slot cards are unlikely to be anything close to this thickness so you should be fine.

Optical drive:
You'll need to be a little careful with length if you want to fit a tall CPU cooler, and this depends on your motherboard layout, but anything up to 180 mm long is probably fine. Rather more of a problem - and the only fault I can find with the design of this case - is the optical drive retaining clip. If you have a large graphics card with backplate, then this will foul the retaining clip. It's not too much of a problem and judicious use of a screwdriver is enough to push the bottom of the clip enough to fit or release an optical drive. Unfortunately Corsair haven't provided any option for not using this clip, as there are no screw holes in the opposite side of the optical drive bracket..

Russell Hobbs Cambridge 1.7 L 3000 W Kettle 20070 - Brushed Stainless Steel Silver Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheap kettle at a cheap price, 6 Dec. 2016
This is a cheap kettle.

It is made of thin steel which makes it noisy. It has no level indicator. It doesn't have an on light. The spout is rather too small for filling without removing the lid. The lid isn't hinged. The base seems rather insubstantial. It rocks a little.

On the plus side, it is very quick. It has a flat bottom inside with a concealed element. It can be placed at any angle on the base. The switch turns off when you lift it off the base. It pours cleanly. It has an attractive finish. It has an open handle that is very easy to grip. It is full size but will boil a single teacup of water if that is what you want.

The noise is loud. This probably isn't a suitable kettle if someone is sleeping in the same, or even the next room. You'd be better off spending twice the price on a more substantial stainless kettle that's quiet, or you could buy a plastic one. However it doesn't echo throughout the house, set next door's dogs off or drown out the noise of aircraft taking off half a mile away. And it does mean you're never left wondering whether you actually switched it on.

For me the biggest drawback is only having two hands. I miss the hinged lid on my old (and rather more expensive) Russell Hobbs kettle. With this model I hold the kettle in one hand, remove the lid with the other, and then I need to turn on the tap ...
Yet somehow I manage. So will you, I'm sure.

Stahlsac Mesh Duffel Bag - 36" with Blue Trim
Stahlsac Mesh Duffel Bag - 36" with Blue Trim
Offered by CoreX Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for dinghy sailing and kayaking, 10 Oct. 2016
I haven't owned this long enough to see how well it lasts, but I'm finding a mesh bag so much better for carrying my sailing / kayaking gear around in. I'll certainly never go back to a smelly solid bag.

When I bought this I was unsure whether to go for the 26" or 36" size. I have a two-piece wetsuit and a relatively bulky buoyancy aid, and when boots, spray top, towel and everything else is added I think the 26" bag would probably manage just, but I am happy to have bought the bigger bag as space isn't really a concern for me.

Burl Ives Sings Down to the Sea in Ships
Burl Ives Sings Down to the Sea in Ships

4.0 out of 5 stars No CD available - have a scratch-free download instead, 30 Dec. 2014
If you've come to this page you probably already know about the original album and are looking for a scratch-free digital copy. Well, here you are!
The quality isn't quite brilliant (there is a fair amount of distortion in the backing vocals) but this is fairly typical for music from the 1950s and is probably due more to how the recording was made than deterioration over time. However this is the best you will find and you are unlikely to be disappointed or find it distracting.

At time of writing there is not a CD version and Amazon appears to be the only place where this digital download is available, at least in the UK - all other offerings on the web are copies from scratched vinyl - although it is clear from a web search that another popular retailer used to sell a download but seems to no longer. Curiously, Amazon also sells the same recordings under the title 'Across the Seven Seas' with the track order changed and Santy Anna renamed, but the audio is identical. The prices differ so check out both and see which is cheaper!

If you don't have an original copy of the LP to hand, a web picture search will find a good quality photograph of the back of the album where you can read Burl Ives' extensive sleeve notes.

Across The Seven Seas
Across The Seven Seas

4.0 out of 5 stars Down to the Sea in Ships, 30 Dec. 2014
This album is really Burl Ives sings Down to the Sea in Ships with the track order changed and Santy Anna renamed as The Plains of Mexico.

At time of writing there is not a CD version available under either the 'Across the Seven Seas' or 'Down to the Sea in Ships' title and Amazon appears to be the only place where this digital download is available, at least in the UK - all other offerings on the web are copies from scratched vinyl - although it is clear from a web search that another popular retailer used to sell a download but seems to no longer. Curiously, Amazon also sells the same recordings under the title 'Burl Ives Sings Down to the Sea in Ships' with the original track order and song names but at a different price. Check out both and see which is cheaper!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4