Profile for Martin Forbes > Reviews

Content by Martin Forbes

Martin Forbes (Dundee, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Vans Old Skool, Unisex Adults' Low-Top Trainers
Vans Old Skool, Unisex Adults' Low-Top Trainers
Price: £20.62 - £145.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really comfy., 16 Dec. 2014
These Vans are not that comfy for me. When I wear them in the house they're fine but when I go outside I feel EVERY lump, bump and even tiny little stones. To begin with the squeaked but after walking around for a week or so they stopped but they are SO uncomfortable, other reviews state that they forget that the have them on - HOW ??? I mean walking down a hill or up it changes the way they they feel making them even MORE uncomfortable.

I was really looking forward to wearing them but now after a whole year I think I've only worn them outside 20 -25 times, great indoors but this is not why I bought them. there is very little in the way of support for your feet. The sole is flimsy the upper little better, I've tried tying the tighter, tried an insole, tried thicker socks but nothing makes takes away the feeling of what I'm walking on pavement wise. :(

Admittedly, I have been using Salomon trainers and I know that there is difference between the two manufacturers, but still, I should be able to feel tiny stones as I walk with Vans, so unfortunately I can't give more stars or a more positive review.

Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360)
Gears of War: Judgement (Xbox 360)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars A box of delights here..., 18 Oct. 2014
The game has nothing to do with Amazon. So I'll review what I can...

The box is AWESOME !!! It has pictures and... and... words that you can read on the back there's even MORE pictures on the back just in case you still haven't a clue what this strange item is. There's even a clever plastic outer film where a paper insert that has these photos and words on it gets stored.

The box gets shipped in a bright green plastic box that is neither deceptive or confusing to look at and the green box has a very relaxing and non intimidating feel about. There's green on the front, green on the sides and even... green on the back too !! - I like green. And, get this... when you open the box there's a DVD INSIDE !! Who'd have thought up that one up !!!

Joseph Joseph Elevate Lockable Tongs Large - Grey/Green
Joseph Joseph Elevate Lockable Tongs Large - Grey/Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Tong Tong phooey..., 18 Oct. 2014
Right. The design is better than the finished product. For a start when you're trying to grip chicken, bacon or something else the grips, (and I use this terms extremely loosely! ), don't always get a decent hold of what you wanted. The chicken in the frying pan just slips out of the grippers and sometimes, as I've now learnt my lesson, it would fall onto the FLOOR !! I got around it by trying to grip more of the tongs but in the end I just bought non Joseph Joseph tongs which work the way they were meant to...

One last thing about the finished design. Yes it looks great and really complements a kitchen but... but... if you have bits of food or sauce etc on the tongs then the tongs tip over onto the works surface - EVEN when opened fully. A small point but one that helped convince me to buy something better. it would seem that the support to keep it off the kitchen worktop is set too close to the main handle, perhaps the designers could've moved it closer towards the tongs themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent case and concept but..., 24 Mar. 2014
It's a fairly decent case and concept but please don't expect something groundbreaking or eye opening here. Maybe because when I upgraded from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 5S the weight of the 5S was so much lighter that I went for a Lunatik Extreme case which was really great but really heavy, this feels like air. The actual feel of it is quite smooth therefore I'd urge caution which holding the phone, even with the phone inside the case my iPhone stand can easily cope.

There is just this small thing in the back of my mind that there is NO protection for moderate impacts like dropping onto the floor etc. If you did then, perhaps you'd need to get a new phone as there is nothing of real protection as it's more for scratches to the case sides and rear, although it did come with a screen protector. Personally, i didn't really need a screen protector as I already had one. There is one last thing I'd like to say, and that is the credit card holder.

This is only for ONE card and can be tricky to remove especially if in a rush to pay for fuel and finish paying. The only way that there is any real grip to remove your debit/credit card, is to use the numbers as a form of leverage which may damage the card long term.

Would I recommend.... only id you wanted a cheapy case and were happy with one card, otherwise look elsewhere.

JVC HA-EB75 In-Ear Sweat Resistant Sports Headphones with Adjustable Clip - Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 3 Mar. 2014
If I could give no stars then I could but sadly I can't. These earphones didn't even stay in my ear when I was WALKING. Although there is a slider for different ear lobe lengths, there is nothing to lock it in place so even the slightest movement can make them fall out. The sound quality is very poor and tinny so if you listen to House music or even rock music you just cant really feel that you're into the music if that makes any sense to you.

When I was doing a run with my iPhone, the sheer noise of the headphones rattling was just too much and I had to take them off, (I used a really tight fitting beanie) and stuff them in my pocket which was the opposite of what I had intended. This was on my first use of them, since then I've tried them several more times and they're just too awful to give a serious recommendation on. I know that they were only £7 but still at least SOMETHING to hold the slider on the earphone and stop the rattling noise.

Good luck if you go ahead with them, just don't get your hopes up.

Physionics Weight Bench / Fitness Bench with Leg Unit and Fly Attachment Exercise Workout

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a reasonable purchase..., 21 Nov. 2013
The assembly instructions were absol-UTELY USELESS and in order for the bench to fold up I had to resort to going onto the Amazon website just to see how it should work !!! When I did, I discovered that even this wouldn't work as the main beam where the bench back and rest and seat won't fold up if the bolt has been inserted or even tightened, go look at the 3rd picture from the bottom selection of photos to see what i mean.

For the bench to fold up properly, the bolt has to be removed COMPLETELY and a pin inserted into the main beam section. Even this beam has to be slid further away from the upright section or else part of the main bean section catches the upright section therefore it wont fold up. The instruction state that there need to be a bolt !!! Go and check out the 4th picture from the bottom, hover you mouse over the image and look for the main beam section and you'll clearly see that there is both a bolt AND a pin !!

If you plan to use the bolt and pin whilst using the bench then you have to:

1. Take out the pin...
2. Slide the main beam section back a bit until it reaches the upright section..
3. Insert the bolt and THEN insert the pin...
4. Use the bench for you workout..
5. Remove the bolt and pin..
6. Slide the main beam section away from the upright section...
7. Insert the pin into the grove..
8. NOW you fold it away...

Also the arms section are for children it seems and any adult whose body is larger than than that of a 12 yr old will struggle to use them effectively. As for the leg extension.. you would need to either have really really really short legs or be raised up as you feet would be touching the ground. One last thing... if you use the pec extension you'll have to remove them should you want to do chest exercises as they'll just get in the way.

This is REALLY badly designed if I'm being honest... however the bench press holder works great !!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fitting size should be clearer, 21 Nov. 2013
Fitting size should be clearer, let me explain... I'm a size 11 and have never had a problem such as this. To begin with I thought that it was just down to the leather being new and would stretch somewhat after a few weeks max. NO !! This is one of the tightest fits yet and as I've worn them I can send them back and they have just tore my heels as well as the bridge of my feet and toes to shreds. I have even sat at night after work just physically squeezing and pinching the leather backwards and forwards but very little has changes. Thankfully I still have my old shoes but they can just get re-soled and then be good to go.

Whatever shoe size you are - choose the next size UP from what you are, I really wish I had gone for the size 12 now... :(

Physionics® HNTLB09 Arm Curl Preacher Bench Adjustable
Physionics® HNTLB09 Arm Curl Preacher Bench Adjustable
Offered by JAGO24 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great, 21 Nov. 2013
This has a really great finish to it and dirt simple to assemble - around 20 - 25min tops whilst the instructions were merely a guide it really was simple. All you have to do really is look at the picture here and in the instructions, match the relevant section to be assembled and viola, job done.

Initially I was sceptical that it would ok after I ordered it as I'm 6ft 4 but I've had no problems at all. So for anyone who is 6ft + don't worry it's really easy AND comfortable to use, also it doesn't take up much room at all when fully assembled.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 17 Aug. 2013
This STANK of crude oil...!!!!!! At first I couldn't make out where the smell was coming from, however I went to my camera bag to check the battery level as I was using the camera the next day - mag bag was reeking from this dust cleaner. I took out the cleaner and put in into a glass with water and bleach and the smell overpower the bleach !!!!!

In the end I through it in the bin and forgot about it until bin day, the next day, opened the bin lid and was hit by the smell AGAIN !!!

DO NOT BUY THIS CHEAP USELESS PRODUCT...

Gold's Gym GG-G756 Bicep Isolator
Gold's Gym GG-G756 Bicep Isolator

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay to a point.., 17 Aug. 2013
The neck padding can only be described as at best laughable and at worst woefully inadequate. It is the flimsiest of padding, a really, really, REALLY thin piece of neoprene that can easily tear and you end of using a small towel instead. I accidentally found that when I forgot to use it and was using the barbell AND dumbbells that, if I kept my elbows tight against my side I got the SAME effect as the isolator which made me question why i bought it the first place.

Once you get the length of the straps sorted out correctly feel free to enjoy the detangling toe nylon straps from the buckle as they too are super thin. Was it a decent buy... not really, would I recommend... not at all...

Page: 1 | 2