Profile for AHN > Reviews

Content by AHN

AHN "bicycle soup" (Bath, Britain)

Page: 1 | 2
Sunny Hills
Sunny Hills

5.0 out of 5 stars Much harder and more ferocious than their debut, 18 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Sunny Hills (Audio CD)
A much harder and ferocious sound compared to their debut, Sunny Hills is truly brilliant. The brilliant melodies that were all over the first album are present in tracks like Youth and Punch, but the rest have a dark, moody, loud undercurrent, such as Burn It All Out, Waiting, Down. The highlight is the one-two punch of Human and Animal near the start of the album.

This is truly a brilliant album from a band who have smashed through the 'difficult second album' issue by redefining their sound as something new, unique and brilliant.

Better Strange
Better Strange

4.0 out of 5 stars like a weird mixture of Alt-J, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Better Strange (Audio CD)
Very strong album, like a weird mixture of Alt-J, Everything Everything and Tame Impala. Highlights include Just Repeating What's Around Me, The Right Thing, Burn and Better Strange.

Everything You've Come To Expect
Everything You've Come To Expect

5.0 out of 5 stars while Sweet Dream, TN has Turner at his crooning best, 11 April 2016
This second Last Shadow Puppets album is another triumph, but the title is deceiving; this album often stretches in directions we've not seen from either of them before. The title track is a fairground swirl of mad lyrics and harpsichord, while Sweet Dream, TN has Turner at his crooning best.. Pattern contains the slinkiest riff I've heard in a long while, and the Element of Surprise will have you dancing around the room. Every listen will uncover a new favourite track, and it's amazing that this record feels so cohesive, considering the variety of the tracks. Miles and Alex have truly delivered a fantastic sophomore effort, and I can't wait to hear the third one! Please don't make us wait another 8 years this time!

The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]
The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars A criminally underrated masterpiece, 9 Nov. 2015
It pains me that this album is often seen as one of Pink Floyd's worst. As far as I see it, it's a beautifully dark and moving album. Many people label this as a Roger Waters solo album, but David Gilmour's guitar is always nearby, and it feels like a natural progression from The Wall.
It's wouldn't be too difficult to choose some standout tracks, but the magic of this album is that all the tracks you consider to be lesser on the first listen creep out at you the more times you give it a spin, such as Paranoid Eyes and The Fletcher Memorial Home. I would consider the song The Final Cut one of Floyd's all time greatest songs, with amazing lyrics (I held the blade in trembling hands/prepared to make it but just then the phone rang/I never had the nerve to make the final cut).
If you are avoiding this album like the plague like I did for a while due to what you've heard before, give it another chance! Take the risk, because this album is a deeply rewarding record for those who are willing to give it time. The best send off Roger Waters could have given us!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2017 5:50 PM BST

Pipes Of Peace
Pipes Of Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've avoided this in the past, change your mind!, 12 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Pipes Of Peace (Audio CD)
I ordered this at the same time as Tug Of War. I'm a Macca die-hard fan, but I'd always avoided this album because of its bad reputation. So you can imagine my surprise when I realised how fantastic an album it is! Pipes of Peace and Say Say Say are of course the classics we all know and love. But then I realised how many gems are buried on this album. Sweetest Little Show is a wonderful song, with a fantastic instrumental section in the middle. Through Our Love is possibly Macca's most underrated ballad. I love Keep Under Cover's changes between sections. Average Person has me bouncing up and down every time I listen to it. Every track is vastly enjoyable (even the fillery tracks such as Tug of Peace and Hey Hey are great).
If, like me, you have avoided this in the past, change your mind! It really is much better than I'd expected. There's no feeling quite like discovering fantastic 'new' Macca music!

My Love Is Cool
My Love Is Cool
Offered by RAREWAVES

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 Aug. 2015
This review is from: My Love Is Cool (Audio CD)
Terrific album. I'd recommend getting the US version purely for the extra track Moaning Lisa Smile.

Marks To Prove It
Marks To Prove It
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly a fantastic album. Spit It Out is possibly my favourite ..., 30 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Marks To Prove It (Audio CD)
Mostly a fantastic album. Spit It Out is possibly my favourite Maccabees song of them all, and tracks such as Marks To Prove It, River Song, Something Like Happiness and Slow Sun stand out. However, Silence is lacking (possibly due to Orlando not singing it). Overall, a great album!

Currents
Currents
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, they're changing, but let it happen!, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Currents (Audio CD)
Yes, they're changing, but let it happen. It's important for artists not to get stuck in a past life, and instead they need to live in the moment. It might not hit you as immediately as their first 2, but eventually you'll adore it.
One of the best albums of 2015, I love it.

Get To Heaven
Get To Heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the tracks I was immediately in love with (the singles, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Get To Heaven (Audio CD)
Some of the tracks I was immediately in love with (the singles, get To Heaven, Spring/Sun...) and others required further listens to get into (Fortune 500, The Wheel). This record is one of the best this year, with some fantastic dance songs and some far slower or complex songs. Either way, it's the most accessible album they've made to date, but still has enough complexity to make it the best record they've made yet.

All We Are
All We Are

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album that deserves more recognition, 5 May 2015
This review is from: All We Are (Audio CD)
Beautiful album that deserves more recognition. Fantastic melodies that won't leave your head for weeks, and fantastic instrumentation from all 3 (especially guitar and drums). If you like new music, you need to own this!

Page: 1 | 2