Profile for CK0001 > Reviews

Content by CK0001

CK0001 "CK0001" (Cambridge, United Kingdom)

The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies & Toddlers
The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies & Toddlers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide book, 6 Mar. 2014
Treat Gina Ford's ideas as hints and tips (as most parents do I'm sure) and you will find this a valuable resource. Her ideas can come across as strict but we adapted to suit our situation and needs and it worked perfectly. Just take out the bits that appeal to you and go with it. We realise, with hindsight, that our parenting style was creating bad sleeping habits and we quickly became too tired to break out of the cycle that we had created. This was not healthy for us or our child so Gina's book was an absolute Godsend and I don't know how we'd have survived without it. This, or any Gina Ford book, won't be for everybody of course but it's definitely been a positive influence on our lives. Our first child is is growing up fast- we could do with a Gina Ford book on contented teenagers...

Unplayed Piano [2 Track CD]
Unplayed Piano [2 Track CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Sign For The Future, 15 Aug. 2005
I'll get the earnest stuff out of the way. I knew nothing about the problems in Burma until I bought this single and since then I have joined in the campaign and e-mailed the various people instructed to by the various organisiations on freeburma.org
Well done to Damien & Lisa for raising awareness.
With regard to the song, I have been a fan of 'O' since it was released and have been really impressed (and a little smug probably) with it's long-term success. People still seem to be discovering that record as though it is new. It is a proper classic but the follow up is long overdue now.
'Unplayed Piano' is a very much appreciated and promising instalment from Mr Rice and Lisa Hannigan's credit is well earned. This is a beautiful, intelligent song about a terrible, stupid thing and exemplifies the exquisite and surprising writing that Damien Rice is so capable of. I can not wait until we get a whole new album from them and I hope Lisa gets more credit next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Biggest Album of All Time, 15 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Bends (Audio CD)
I took this record to California in 1997 and listened to it for two whole weeks (interspersed with Skunk Anansie's long forgotten 'Stoosh'). I spent a day driving from San Diego to Las Vegas, going through the Nevada desert, Death Valley, whilst 'The Bends' played very loudly on the CD player on loop. It was something of a life-changing experience for me. All I can tell you is that the music seemed to fill the overwhelming space outside the car in a way that I would have never imagined possible.
I had owned, and loved, the album for a year or so before taking it to the States, but I had not fully appreciated the power it possesses until that trip. It truly is one of the greatest pieces of art of the 20th century. If I could only listen to one piece of music for the rest of my life I would have have to choose 'The Bends' and if only one track, it would have to be 'High & Dry'. I can not imagine being without this record. I still play it regularly to this day. I rarely play 'OK Computer' or 'Kid A' anymore and I never play 'Hail To The Thief'.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head
A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The Bends' for the noughties!, 15 Aug. 2005
With the recent release of 'X&Y', I am sure that 'A Rush of Blood To The Head' will, someday soon, be considered a worthy follow-up to the seminal 'The Bends' that preceded it by 8 years.
With this record, Coldplay managed to pull-off a rare miracle, tapping into the collective psyche and showing us how WE sound. No mean feat, performed rarely (Pet Sounds/Sgt. Pepper/Nevermind/Grace/Thriller (that last one was a joke actually!))
The fact that, for two whole years after release, the whole western world was still drenched with music from this album on every tv programme, promo, film and sporting event using clips from 'Clocks', 'In My Space' and almost every other track on the album, merely confirms that if ever a piece of music represented those listening to it, an entire generation, this piece did. This music was, is and always will be a piece of art.
Like almost all classic music, 'Rush of Blood' takes a good five or six listens before it starts to infiltrate and make sense. When you let it in, it rewards you in a way very few other records can. 'Politik' is a huge, breathtaking noise that makes so much sense performed live, 'The Scientist' and 'Clocks' are genuine spine-tinglers, 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' and 'Amsterdam' especially, are just pure class.
I can appreciate Coldplay's apparent unwillingness to follow this record and they must be relieved that they have finally done it. I don't believe 'X&Y' will ever be held with such high regard as 'A Rush Of Blood' but, if it does nothing else, 'X&Y' confirms that 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' was no mere fluke.
If you don't have this album you are making a mistake. If you don't like this album you need to change your medication OR stop being such a pretentious muso snob.
New artists of the future will be crediting this record as the reason they picked up a guitar/sat down at a piano......and you don't want to be the only person on earth who doesn't know why they were driven to do so. Do you?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seminal Album For All That Followed, 15 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Bends (Audio CD)
'The Bends', apart from being the best album of the 90's (with little argument) has got to be the source of inspiration for all indie/rock/mor music for the last ten years. This is the 'White Album' of our time, that, a decade later, sounds as contemporary, beautiful and relevant as it ever did.
Obviously, Nirvana's amazing 'Nevermind' that preceded it by some 4 years, laid the foundations, but Radiohead's more polished top layer perfected the genre and has been lending the formula ever since, particularly to Coldplay's stunning 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'.
This album has never been replaced in my playlist and over time different tracks have stood out, currently, the breathtaking 'Black Star' ("I keep falling over, I keep passing out, when I see a face like you" sends shivers down my spine). The obvious tracks like 'Fake Plastic Trees' and the stunning 'Street Spirit' are acknowledged timeless classics and my particular favourite 'High & Dry' is always in the top 5 of my 25 Most Played List on iTunes.
I really don't believe that we would have Coldplay (and all that stands in that particular shadow) now if this record had not been made.
The follow-up 'OK Computer' was staggering in it's own right (but never so influential) and 'Kid A' took the music world by surprise (although it fits in contextually much better now than it did then) and 'Hail To The Thief' was just brave. But it's 'The Bends' that makes Radiohead what they are, it's the reason they had to make 'Kid A' and 'Hail To The Thief', it's the starting point of all the good stuff we listen to now.