£2.56 ? How do they do this?
Less than 2 days from order (Monday) to receipt in my hand (Wednesday). So 5 Stars for delivery.
No instructions but the device is simple and has just two unmarked RJ11 sockets. RJ11 are the square plastic plugs that are used to plug a phone cable into the base unit of a remote home telephone or straight into a fixed telephone.. NOTE: RJ11 is NOT the larger rectangular section BT plugs used to plug a telephone into a BT wall-socket.
This device is designed to be inserted in the telephone cable leading into the telephone (or base unit). For this you will need to buy a short (or longer) cable having an RJ11 plug on BOTH ENDS. THIS CABLE IS NOT SUPPLIED but can be bought cheaply here: kenable ADSL Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 WHITE 1m Short Lead
This particular cable is 1 meter long and costs £1.87 delivered (in March 2017) but 5 meter cables don't seem to cost much more.
Here's how you connect it...
Simple Talk - plug the existing telephone cable into one of the device's two RJ11 sockets and use the new RJ11 cable to connect the device's second RJ11 socket to the phone.
STEP BY STEP...
1. Remove the telephone cable from your existing phone. You'll need to squeeze a little prong on the RJ11 plug (a bit fiddly this) then just pull it out.
2. Plug that same end of the cable into one if the RJ11 sockets on the Ring Device. If it doesn't push in easily with a 'Click' try changing the plug's orientation.
3. Plug one end of your new RJ11 cable into the remaining RJ11 socket on the Ring Device
4. Plug the other end of the RJ11 cable into the telephone's now vacant RJ11 socket - the same one vacated in Step 1.
5. Call the number of your telephone.
6. COVER YOUR EARS ! ! !
This device is EXTREMELY LOUD (the red light also flashes but doesn't draw too much attention - maybe at night?).
It's tempting to knock ONE STAR off for lack of instructions and because it didn't come with the necssary cable (which I would have paid extra for anyway) but honestly, at an all-up price of just £4.43 delivered - including an RJ11 cable - this unit is still GREAT VALUE.
Highly recommended for stone deaf relatives who don't answer the telephone.